Anna Pogorilaya - Her future prospects?

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Hey guys, as you know I'm a big fan of Anna Pogorilaya. She had an impressive showing at the European championships, coming in 3rd with 2 strong programs, but overall she was 17-18 points behind her teammates. She is likely to compete at the World Championships and with good skates has a good chance to place in the top 6 and maybe even medal.

My question is, where does she go after this season? What does she need to stay relevant as Serafima, Evgenia, and Maryia become seniors next season? Anna struggled a bit with consistency this season but is handling the troubling age of 16 quite well compared to others. Her skating is fast and powerful, she has nice jumps that are fully rotated, and she can do the tough combos (3lz-3t, 3lo-1lo-3s) well. She also has an elegant look on the ice with her long limbs and is presumably post puberty, meaning she has a good chance of keeping her jumps. With this kind of talent it would be a shame to see her disappear in the deep Russian field. Do people think she can stay relevant and continue to make Euro/World teams skating for Russia? If so what does she need to solidify herself at a top 3 Russian lady?

Arawen

I´m a big fan of Anna too and I really hope she can stay among the top ladies in Russia. She´s elegant, beautiful and has great jumps. Like many other people have said I think she needs to skate with more character and expression, I feel that at least her Firebird LP is a bit empty in terms of personality. I liked her Mermaids LP last year more (have only watched that on Youtube though since I´m very new to figure skating in general). Otherwise it´s difficult to say, maybe she needs a confidence boost since I think that seems shaky sometimes. Her spins need more work too, sometimes they can look a bit sloppy IMO.

Polaris

Yes Pogo has long limbs, but she can't utilize them properly and ends up looking sloppy instead of elegant. She needs to fix her spins and extensions pronto, they're the worst of any of the senior ladies. If she doesn't fix those things, she'll get buried by next season.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Where is a John nicks for her?!?!?

My thoughts exactly! I think she needs ballet and pilates training stat. I think she has nice parts to her spins (the speed in the haircutter, the final catchfoot position in the camel spin), but it's annoying to see her continue to bend those long gorgeous legs of hers in the illusion and camel positions. She seems flexible enough and can handle the difficulty in the spins, but being able to consistently get +2s and +3s on level 4 spins would really help close the gap on someone like Elena, whose jumps are often wonky and may continue to get more so as she grows.

I also think skating to a ballet piece like Firebird is not the best idea. She usually comes alive more in exhibitions, I think a fierce tango piece or modern dance inspired program would suit her well. She's pretty too so accentuating that with a simple, modern costume would probably help.

Arawen

I also think skating to a ballet piece like Firebird is not the best idea. She usually comes alive more in exhibitions, I think a fierce tango piece or modern dance inspired program would suit her well. She's pretty too so accentuating that with a simple, modern costume would probably help.
This so much!

Polaris

My thoughts exactly! I think she needs ballet and pilates training stat. I think she has nice parts to her spins (the speed in the haircutter, the final catchfoot position in the camel spin), but it's annoying to see her continue to bend those long gorgeous legs of hers in the illusion and camel positions. She seems flexible enough and can handle the difficulty in the spins, but being able to consistently get +2s and +3s on level 4 spins would really help close the gap on someone like Elena, whose jumps are often wonky and may continue to get more so as she grows.

I don't think she's as flexible as the other senior ladies. She has trouble getting her leg back up high in her Biellman (http://livecap.info/figureskating51/img/20131118/PART_14/20131118-1658-0990700.jpg), and she can't hold her leg up in a spiral. Again, she has gorgeous limbs, but her arms always look like they're flailing about.

I hope she gets rid of the illusion spin in her programs, bc its a huge eyesore.

bardtoob

After rewatching the SP at Euros, I think Anna has room to grow because I think she had a more commanding performance than Radionova. The speed of her spins impressed me.

Jebrista

I think she should change around a few of her spins.

Her combo spin last year with the intense A-Spin that had the twist in the upper body was much more appealing to me than having the mushroom on the second foot.
And the flying camel has been giving her trouble this year. I like the new position she has added at the end, but I think she needs to work on keeping the positions smooth and centered and try to gain speed as she pulls in for the donut and the above catch.
And I think she should try an illuusion entrance into her layback instead of the biellman. Her haircutter is so fast, and I think going for the biellman afterward negatively affects the GOE because she slows down and often her biellman is off balance a bit.

I think they should really economize on her step sequences, because she always has some of the best steps in the field in my opinion. She can really get the emphasis of the music, especially in her mermaids free. And I think if she uses a bit more upper body and is sure to be in-time with the music that her steps could be in the +3 range.

I also think her ChSq could have a bit more to it. I like the long biellman at the end of the program (spiral sequences!!!!!!!!!!), but I think she isn't getting the same GOE as the other girls because there aren't as many varying steps or interesting moves that she can do better than everyone else.

Other than that, I think her jumps are pretty good. She gets good GOE on them. I like her.

FlyingDutchman

In the West, Individualism, in the East, tradition of Collectivism. There is a collective Russian Ladies Team. Rankings within the team will be fluid and flexible. Tukta could have another off year next year, Rads could have growing pains, Lips could be on the rebound and Sots back in the game. Pogo not yet in full bloom. Many newcomers will get their chance. I don't think any of them will stay on the bubble as the weak sister. No need for any of them to worry about how to stay number 1. When one falters, another will break through just like at Socchi. The team will stay strong and easily sweep Euros for many years to come. Kira Korpi has the best chance to upset the podium. Never even heard what happened to her.

Meoima

I don't think she's as flexible as the other senior ladies. She has trouble getting her leg back up high in her Biellman (http://livecap.info/figureskating51/img/20131118/PART_14/20131118-1658-0990700.jpg), and she can't hold her leg up in a spiral. Again, she has gorgeous limbs, but her arms always look like they're flailing about.
I hope she gets rid of the illusion spin in her programs, bc its a huge eyesore.
That position is not the full Biellmann, that is half Biellmann position and she did it on purpose because the choreographer said so. If you actually watch her you will know. I do think flexibility is not her strong point but it's no where near the terrible level of Serafima. When Anna hit the Biellmann it actually looks quite decent.
The problem with her is that I think her coaching team has never has a skater on her level and they don't know how to polish her to the suitable direction. Had she been born Canadian and US, with her jumping ability, speed and that looks, she would be prepared so much more. I love this girl but the young ladies are too strong and more polishing. I hope she will stay competitive since we don't know if the younger ladies can survive puberty or not.

Polaris

^Uh...she reminds me of peers in my yoga class who try to stretch their legs out high, but end up looking all wonky. Pogo looks so contorted (the distance between her back and leg is huge, and her leg bend is 90 degrees!), and her positions are NOT aesthetically pleasing. Yah, her spins travel all over the ice. She always looks like she's going to fall out of her spins.

Meoima

Better programs. Listen to music and try to feel it and express it more. Perhaps take an intro music class to help with this?
It's no different from asking her federation to invest more in her for better programs, choreography and dance lessons which they won't because they have too many talented girls to care.

lefeury1

She has to WANT to have better presentation and spins. I imagine that since she did well earlier in the season she saw no reason to improve but perhaps after Euro's she will examine what is keeping her so many points below her fellow Russians. I think lack of confidence has brought her performance down too. I wouldn't count her out, if she improves on her artistry, spins, and passion for skating she will be fine.

screech

One thing I feel when I watch her is that she looks scared sometimes when she skates (which I found surprisingly noticeable when there in person for Euros LP). The confidence isn't always showing, and it seems like the pressure to do well is showing. I enjoy her as well, and wish she would exhibit a bit more of that attack.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
She needs to quit going after quirky, overly-passionate types of programs and try something simpler, showing off her leg-line and maturity. There's a lot of beauty in her skating that hasn't been highlighted by her program choices at all these past two years. Less is more with her quality of skating, she doesn't need all of the theatrics.

I think she should take a classical approach to both programs next year, and really learn how to utilitize her leg-line more in the choreography and skate more naturally. Everything looks forced with heavy music, and it ruins what's naturally pleasing to watch with her skating. She's going for programs and themes that consume her, she needs a revamped basic approach with music that'll highlight her. I think David Wilson (usually :scream: for me, but it's needed) would be a great choice.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

Yes Pogo has long limbs, but she can't utilize them properly and ends up looking sloppy instead of elegant. She needs to fix her spins and extensions pronto, they're the worst of any of the senior ladies. If she doesn't fix those things, she'll get buried by next season.

Yes and learn to find the joy within - or whatever emotion is in the music - and let that out on her face and in her movements, rather than looking sad or unhappy.

hanca

Values her privacy
She is much more tidy than she was a year ago; she improved a lot during the last summer, but there is still a bit to improve, to be 'finished product'. Give her a year or two. When I watched Adelina and Liza 2 years ago at the Europeans, Adelina got the silver and Liza the bronze, and I was glad that neither Adelina nor Liza got the gold, because they both had still a bit of untidiness/awkwardness in their skating. Adelina did not have it last season any more, and Liza definitely did not have it this season any more. It is just a bit of polish that Anna is missing. She can also concentrate making everything bigger/higher, to give each element that wow factor. Her jumps are not small, but unless she wants to learn 3A or quads, to get more points on technical score she will have to concentrate on GOEs.

The only think that worries me with Anna is that she seems to give up when things don't go well. Look at GPF last season and then again this season. Either she gets regularly very tired each December (and then her coach should concentrate on when she needs to peak), or she is lacking the fighting spirit when under pressure. Lipnitskaya last season looked like having nerves of steel throughout the season. Radionova and Tuktamysheva the same this season. I don't think we have seen Pogorilaya being consistent yet, for example having a season when she is always (or nearly always) clean. Most times she seems to make some mistakes. Judges value consistency and then her PCS would increase.

watchthis!!

Any chance she could marry Patrick Chan and skate for Canada? There's too many brilliant Russian ladies that we are not going to be seeing at Worlds the next few years. Please let them fall in love with somebody from France, China, Germany, etc. It's not fair to me that I won't get to see world-class skaters at Worlds. Think of ME, ladies!!! :drama:

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
She needs to go all-out voidy and cray-cray with her programs to have a chance. She'll never beat clean-skating baby Russians with generic snoozy programs.

Sadly, fixing lines and improving flexibility to noticeable levels doesn't happen in a season or 2. And even then, she won't match the radionovas and lipnitskayas of her country, so she needs something else to be distinguished

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
She needs to go all-out voidy and cray-cray with her programs to have a chance. She'll never beat clean-skating baby Russians with generic snoozy programs.

Sadly, fixing lines and improving flexibility to noticeable levels doesn't happen in a season or 2. And even then, she won't match the radionovas and lipnitskayas of her country, so she needs something else to be distinguished

Agreed. People mention her programs have imporved this year; I'm not really seeing it. Her tango SP last season is still the best, most sophisticated thing she's done. She has amazing run of edge and really great speed and somehow Firebird still overwhelms her. She needs a new strategy next year, a new choreographer, and she needs to learn how to project and perform.

It's interesting, if PCS were judged correctly, Anna would be the rare skater who deserves high scores (8.5ish) for skating skills and transitions, but significantly lower for performance, execution, and choregoraphy.

I really like Pogo (she's right behind Leonova and Tuk as my favorite Russians), but she definitely has work to do to maintain a spot on the world team next year.

Coquelicot14

I am really tired of people suggesting for Russians to skate for other countries! Just think of Soldatova and her downward spiral. These federations need to invest into a program and grow their own skaters. Only then we will see a true variety of styles and skating will become more interesting. Look at China, they did it themselves and became a powerhouse in skating with their own style.

Anna does have what it takes to skate for Russia, she is plenty talented and unlike other girls she has successfully passed puberty, so while some younger who may at times pass her still have to grow...
She needs more consistency, but I think she is on the way up.

Jammers

I am really tired of people suggesting for Russians to skate for other countries! Just think of Soldatova and her downward spiral. These federations need to invest into a program and grow their own skaters. Only then we will see a true variety of styles and skating will become more interesting. Look at China, they did it themselves and became a powerhouse in skating with their own style.

Anna does have what it takes to skate for Russia, she is plenty talented and unlike other girls she has successfully passed puberty, so while some younger who may at times pass her still have to grow...
She needs more consistency, but I think she is on the way up.
Yeah look at Yulia now. Pogo is going to Worlds while Yulia is staying home. Elena will grow and might not be a skinny twig next season and her jumps might disappear too so Pogo might still stay in the fight.

demetriosj

Yeah look at Yulia now. Pogo is going to Worlds while Yulia is staying home. Elena will grow and might not be a skinny twig next season and her jumps might disappear too so Pogo might still stay in the fight.

There you go hoping that "Elena will grow and might not be a skinny twig next season and her jumps might disappear".

Appreciate her talent this season, right now, and stop wishing the worst for her.

Reactions: Tak

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information