America's Favorite Escape- Baseball ⚾️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Beach Bum
Scherzer was vintage last night! I wasn't very optimistic about this series, but we have a bit of a chance with Stras on Wednesday. At least there is a game 5!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Scherzer was vintage last night! I wasn't very optimistic about this series, but we have a bit of a chance with Stras on Wednesday. At least there is a game 5!

I think there's a real chance. But then I'm a big Strasburg fan. He doesn't always do it and they have to hit but after last night, there's hope!

Rob

Beach Bum
Wow Cardinals leading Braves 13-1. Cards scored 10 in the first inning!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I was pretty sure I was going to miss something exciting if I went to bed last night instead of listening to the Nats game. But I was :sleep:

I'm glad I was right! I knew the Nats had it in them! Wooohoooo!

They are actually in the NLCS!!

I was shocked by that St. Louis blow out against Atlanta. :eek:

MsZem

I see the sea
In hindsight maybe I should have picked a different team in 1991.

At least Team Israel ended their season well :)

MsZem

I see the sea
Who is your team?
I thought the 1991 reference & yesterday's results made it obvious... it's the Braves. Attempts to stop being a fan have proven futile. At least skaters eventually retire!

Anyway the Cards are awful so I prefer the Nationals in the NLCS, but I must go with the AL in the World Series - though I will greatly resent it if that ends up being the Yankees.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
1991 means nothing to me baseball-wise. I gave up after 1990, after 19 years of trying to find a team to root for after having ours wrenched from us in 1972.

Only came back to baseball in 2005 when we were reborn as the Nationals.

The concept of rooting for teams that are unrelated to my home doesn't work for me.

MsZem

I see the sea
The concept of rooting for teams that are unrelated to my home doesn't work for me.
Well, the Eugene Emeralds weren't all that exciting ;) But I don't do the home team/skater thing anyway, I always had favorites from other places.

At least I've been a Braves fan long enough to have enjoyed the 1992 NLCS and the World Series title.

MsZem

I see the sea
Turns out that this was all Max Fried's fault.

I used to go to Class A games in Salem, Virginia when I was in college. I loved that!
Absolutely, minor league games are fun! But I started my baseball adventures following MLB, and didn't have many chances to go to any Ems games even when I did become aware of their existence.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I like small crowds and a laid back atmosphere. In Salem, the little ballpark was ringed by mountains. Fabulous on summer nights.

You couldn't pay me to go to a playoff or World Series game. I can't stand the hyper atmosphere.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I could manage if it wasn't a favorite team. Otherwise, god no.

The one World Series game I went to, I was not invested in the teams. It was the final game with Detroit winning at home. I was terrified. :shuffle:

I did go to one Orioles playoff game back in the early 80s. That was not nearly so bad.

Rob

Beach Bum
I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT! NATS!
Wow, I was absolutely shocked. I am finally going to the NLCS - I have had to get refunds on my NLCS tickets 4 times, but not this year!
In hindsight maybe I should have picked a different team in 1991.
I feel the same way about the NFL team I picked in the 1960s (Redskins).
NOT a Braves fan here, but you had an amazing 14 year ride.
I had no baseball alliance from the time the Senators left until I moved to NYC in 1978, and I picked up the Mets in 1979. Just couldn't be a Yankees fan. When I came back to this area, I followed the Mets and the Os till the Nats came to town. I had no issues with going back to my DC roots. So I have had a long running rivalry with the Braves since they joined the NL East to now. Believe me, I would rather play the Cards than the Braves, the Braves have owned the Nats most of this year.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Believe me, I would rather play the Cards than the Braves, the Braves have owned the Nats most of this year.

Nothing against the Braves, but I've been figuring all along if the Nats made it to the NLCS they'd face the Braves and that would be the end of it.

I'm totally shocked that they made it and aren't playing the Braves. I don't know much about St. Louis though.

To me, major sports teams are part of what a city is. So if its your hometown, the hometown teams are your teams. But then I've lived in this town for getting close to 60 years. I waited 34 years to get baseball back.

Reactions: Rob

MsZem

I see the sea
When I lived in the US, the Braves were always on TV (back in their TBS days) so they were a great choice for people who had no local team.

Believe me, I would rather play the Cards than the Braves, the Braves have owned the Nats most of this year.
The Cardinals are insufferable, sending them home (while flipping bats) would be a public service.

Rob

Beach Bum
That was electric last night. I barely have a voice. Going again tonight, I still can’t believe it!

MsZem

I see the sea
I can't believe they won three straight and last night with a total blowout!! Wow!
Playoff baseball is all about getting hot at the right time. The regular season is not always the best predictor of this ;)

Also, the Cards must have angered the baseball gods by being whiny during and after the NLDS.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I'm a lifelong Yankees fan but on the assumption the Astros win the American League pennant, it's going to be a great World Series, maybe one for the ages. Two terrific teams with amazing starting pitchers and lots of really likeable players who are easy to root for.

The Nationals are definitely the best thing coming out of Washington these days!

Reactions: Rob

skipaway

World Series Baby!! So excited for my NATS. They’ve broken our hearts over the years, but this year with a 19-31 start has been a redemption. I adore the chemistry of this team with its mix of young and old players. Baby Shark into the World Series! 🦈🦈

Rob

Beach Bum
It was such an amazing night, I didn't get home till 1 am. It got a little tense in the middle, but the 7 run 1st inning held. We stayed for the presentation, and all the on field antics. Finally, I have World Series tickets that I don't have to throw away (when you buy the postseason package, you get all possible games and have to ask for a refund for the ones you have to throw away) ! YAY!!!!! Go Nats! It was a pleasure to see them Kill the Cards!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
So great you were there @Rob!

I got a terrible tension headache in the 8th inning. :lol: But all's well that ends well!

(Listening on the radio! I love doing that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information