Alysa Liu Switches to Colorado Coaching Team

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
As a couple of US insiders have said for a while, this is almost certainly USFS again, not her Dad... But I think a crazy Dad is a lot more exciting story for folks on the forum than USFS messing with coaching situations.
Lol if it is USFS then they're going to have to reap what they sow. I hope they enjoy it.
I wouldn't get too excited with this being a USFS move.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Because Cal State East Bay somehow sounds LESS low-rent?
I know. But they did it and it's taken me a while but I finally think of them that way. :lol:

I do think that there are a few colleges near Colorado Springs that are super-accomodating to elite athletes in a way that other places are not. But, honestly, I don't see her starting college classes while preparing for the Olympics after a recent coaching change.

Btw, for people saying normal skaters don't eat ice cream, I remember fluff pieces about Tara Lipinski having sleepovers with her friend Sydney Vogel with them in PJs eating some sort junky food. And we all know Tara did not have a normal life. 🤷‍♀️

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I trust Jackie Wong and Christine Brennan though.
And @tony was ahead of Christine in the news that Miner wasn't going to be named to the 2018 Olympic team. And let's not forget just how "right" Jackie was with his Olympic qualifying spiels during Worlds when @tony and @allezfred were telling us, quite firmly, that skaters like Donovan Carrillo and Zhuk/Bidar had indeed earned their countries' Olympic spots, etc. And, don't forget who broke the news that the ISU was going to allow TES video submissions for Worlds...

Fact is, tony is a pretty credible source.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This is per several personal sources- take it as you want at the moment. Her father has fired Scali & Abbott and now she's in Colorado.
Good grief, WHY? Because dad didn’t like that she didn’t medal in her two grand prix events? As if she has a friggin’ chance against who/what Russia & Japan are producing? This is incredibly unfortunate.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Let me ask this what was wrong with her original coach Laura? …
In dad’s eyes, Laura failed when Alysa placed “only” 3rd at Junior Worlds in March 2020…and Valieva and Usacheva placed above Alysa.

For her circle - not necessarily Alysa - it may have all been about placements and hardware. Endorsements. Toyota ads & high-fee appearances. “America’s Sweetheart” covers. It became obvious after NHK that that wasn’t happening. Sad for the skater herself, who seemed so joyful and naturally healthy in that recent interview that we all loved (pre-SkCanada).

Primorskaya

Waiting with :watch: for the reasons they will give for this move, and who/where she ends up. I hope at least that she's fully behind that move, regardless of how it turns out.
And regarding the Oly hype for Alysa, of course it's been there, and steadily mounting. Most people who aren't skating nerds can't/won't see the difference between Olympic hopeful and Olympic medal contender. If it's making the news, they think it means medals ultimately, and people like their country winning medals. However, even though every country hypes up their skaters and drinks the Kool-Aid, US Ladies (I know, it's Women ;)) always was, and remains, something else.

hoptoad

I wonder if Jeremy doing the Stars on Ice Tours have something to do with the coaching change. Especially being so close to Nationals and Olympics and him doing shows and not there for Alysa as a technical coach.
To me this is the most plausible explanation. She does need a jump coach around consistently for the rest of the season. But I find it hard to believe Colorado is the best option.

barbarafan

Wasn't part of the original plan when she left Lipetsky to go to Orser? I wonder why they're not doing that.
Really...I never read that? Depending on when it was...A lot of skaters had to go home re Pandemic....all rinks were closed at a certain point or...........Brian has probably had his fill of headcase parents....

viennese

wrecked
I know. But they did it and it's taken me a while but I finally think of them that way. :lol:

I do think that there are a few colleges near Colorado Springs that are super-accomodating to elite athletes in a way that other places are not. But, honestly, I don't see her starting college classes while preparing for the Olympics after a recent coaching change.

Btw, for people saying normal skaters don't eat ice cream, I remember fluff pieces about Tara Lipinski having sleepovers with her friend Sydney Vogel with them in PJs eating some sort junky food. And we all know Tara did not have a normal life. 🤷‍♀️

Not only colleges, but nearby private schools. the US Olympic training center has top doctors and trainers that look after athletes in many sports.
Living in CO Springs must be like being in a bubble. But it works for some athletes.

Skibean

maybe the others aren’t reporting because they want confirmation, or because it’s not their news to share until the skater is ready for it to be public. It doesn’t mean the FSU source is wrong.

sk9tingfan

I am sad about the coaching change. Not so much about her wanting to go to college and stop skating competitively. Her dad has a number of children, and unless he's breaking even on the skating, I can't see how it is fair to the rest of family. That said, I will miss her if she does go in this direction.
These last two years have seen a confluence of unforeseen difficulties for all skaters. In most countries, the approach has been very cautious and conservative so as not to encourage transmission of the crud and protect everyone and that includes skaters. It's not clear what would have been different for Alysa had it not occurred. She would have trained with a different coach and at a skating center that had more advanced technologies and approaches than her current rink.

But her growth spurt and body changes accompanied by injury also got in the way of progress and resulted in regression. Who knows what "approaches" are being used to delay puberty and other body changes that get in the way of quadruple jumps in certain coaching domains? That's obviously not happening with Alysa. I feel sorry for the myriad of skaters who after the age of 18 are has-beens who may be irrevocably harmed by less than ethical coaching methods. I often joke about the alternative meanings of PTSD, but as Harry Stack Sullivan said, "All behavior is meaningful". I mean it. We do not hear about them after they have made their mark in skating and those who do not have the innate to compensate for being discarded. We also do not hear about the longer-term impacts on their physical health.

From what I can tell, Alysa appears to be very normal, balanced and grounded for someone who has been under the microscope and pressure to produce. She has a joy for life that comes across loud and clear and an awareness of social issues that plague our society today. It is not egocentric. And she is obviously intelligent, graduating from high school before her 16th birthday,

Realistically speaking, with five children to support and send to college, and he and his family live in one of the most expensive areas of the country, Arthur Liu as sole breadwinner for his family of six, it's a wise and rational decision to look at his return on investment.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Who knows what "approaches" are being used to delay puberty and other body changes that get in the way of quadruple jumps in certain coaching domains? That's obviously not happening with Alysa. I feel sorry for the myriad of skaters who after the age of 18 are has-beens who may be irrevocably harmed by less than ethical coaching methods. I often joke about the alternative meanings of PTSD, but as Harry Stack Sullivan said, "All behavior is meaningful". I mean it. We do not hear about them after they have made their mark in skating and those who do not have the innate to compensate for being discarded. We also do not hear about the longer-term impacts on their physical health.

These are the things I think about too in regard to women's skating these days.

Wishing Alysa good luck in whatever training situation she chooses.

olympic

Watching Alysa over the years and specifically post growth spurt, I think Alysa's head is in the right place which mitigates (not saying it eliminates) coaching drama. She exhibits less 'fear' than other US ladies and she always attacks her programs. I think that is the key to success more than what a coach says or does. A coach will have outsized influence if the skater is nervy. Consider that the URs may be due to stamina. I notice her URs on the GP circuit came at the end of the LP, so training at altitude might help. If it's technical, the crystal ball is cloudy as to whether CO can help her with that. This is the one concern I have.

feraina

Well I did think the previous coaching switch was poorly timed and executed, but it worked out ok with some luck. The current switch seems even worse in terms of timing - being so close to the Olympics. Maybe they’ll get lucky again? I did like Christy Krall and what she did with Patrick Chan. She took a previously very inconsistent Patrick and turned him into a model of consistency - which he promptly lost again when he left her. If it’s her I think it could be a good fit. Just please don’t let it be Tom!

olympic

Well I did think the previous coaching switch was poorly timed and executed, but it worked out ok with some luck. The current switch seems even worse in terms of timing - being so close to the Olympics. Maybe they’ll get lucky again? I did like Christy Krall and what she did with Patrick Chan. She took a previously very inconsistent Patrick and turned him into a model of consistency - which he promptly lost again when he left her. If it’s her I think it could be a good fit. Just please don’t let it be Tom!
Yes. I failed to add 'no Tom Z please'. Bradie's skating deteriorated a little once she went there. And I will bet Vincent's success is due more to Mie Hamada than Tom.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Y'all are going to look foolish when Alysa medals at the Olympics with two clean quad lutzes and triple axel. :p
If she shows up to US Nats with two clean quads and triple axels while doing 100 leg kicks skating to a mix of Gymnopedie No.1/Saving Private Ryan Soundtrack/good 4 u [explicit] in a dance length skirt, then yes, I will feel foolish.

Willin

I wouldn't get too excited with this being a USFS move.
As much as I trust you and your sources, I'm sure @sjs5572 can back me up on the fact that this would be extremely out of character for her Dad to do unless pressured by someone (like USFS). Considering what USFS has done in the past - and has tried to do - I would bet all the rumors of him "searching" for another coach are really him trying to go along with USFS but ultimately deciding it's best she stays in Oakland. But now with the GP results he has a lot less bargaining power to fight USFS or hold his ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information