Alysa Liu Switches to Colorado Coaching Team

skatinggold

I know I’m still wondering about that. Her first year of being a senior year skater is her final year?
Why would she waste her time in Figure Skating if all these teeny boppers are jumping quads. She got other important things to do in life like getting an education, fighting for equality, BLM, social justices, eating ice cream, sweets, and drinking boba.

AnnM

Well, I hope it works out for her despite history indicating otherwise when it comes to coaching changes this soon before Nats/Olys.

My personal unsupported by facts opinion is that the dad bought into the hype of her being an OGM contender after her first National title and has been in major denial since her growth spurt and jump difficulties. His planned timeline culminated in 2022 and he can't cope with a plan B. It's truly a shame he doesn't seem to appreciate what so many of us now see in her skating -- better expression, musicality, elegance, maturity, etc. I hope she continues to compete after this season.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I have a feeling this is only meant to be a plan till the end of the season. Even if she continues to skate, I’m sure everything will be reevaluated. I don’t foresee the move having that much of an impact short term either way.

skatfan

This coach change news makes me sad and people saying this is her last year of skating makes me even sadder! :(

I just want to keep enjoying watching her joyful skating for years to come. I feel like she's just starting out and I want to see her continue to improve, so I am holding out hope that this year is not the end.
I am sad about the coaching change. Not so much about her wanting to go to college and stop skating competitively. Her dad has a number of children, and unless he's breaking even on the skating, I can't see how it is fair to the rest of family. That said, I will miss her if she does go in this direction.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Maybe there is not enough top ranked skaters in Oakland to push Alysa to the next level. On Alysa's Tiktok, you can see that she is living a normal teenage life, hanging out with friends and eating ice cream which normal skater don't do.

A lot of elite athletes at that age claim to be living a normal teenage life. Which many of them aren't, given how focused they are (or their parents/team are) on maximizing their athletic potential.
Maybe her father wants her to focus on skating and only skating, there are too many distractions if she stayed in the Bay Area.

Distractions like having a normal teenage life?

Skibean

where did Alysa say this is her first and last year skating as a senior?
Where are people reading all the hype of Alysa supposedly winning or making the Olympic podium? I have yet to see any of this so called hype. Are people forgetting she didn’t make the US podium last year?
And lastly- how does a rumor of a coach change remind anyone of Michelle Kwan and Frank’s split…..not even on the same level.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
While I believe everything I read on the Internet (it's a time saver to do so), have there been any other sources for this?

But assuming that it's true, I can come up with a number of reasons I don't think have been offered.

Maybe Team Liu think such a move will increase Alysa's chances of winning Nationals. Three time national champion has a very fine ring to it.

Maybe they think it will increase her chance at a team medal or a better than bronze team medal. Three time national champion and Olympic team silver medalist has an even finer ring to it.

Maybe the dream isn't for an individual medal at the Olympics (which feels very much like a long shot) but a medal at Worlds. Post-Olympic Worlds is a strange and unpredictable competition, as Kimmie Meissner proves. Three time national champion, Olympic team silver medalist and World medalist has an extremely fine ring to it.

Maybe there's concern that Jeremy Abbott's crappy competitive nerves have been infecting Alysa.

Or maybe the University of Colorado has said Alysa can take a couple of courses for credit, giving her a head start on her bachelor's degree.

Jammers

While I believe everything I read on the Internet (it's a time saver to do so), have there been any other sources for this?

But assuming that it's true, I can come up with a number of reasons I don't think have been offered.

Maybe Team Liu think such a move will increase Alysa's chances of winning Nationals. Three time national champion has a very fine ring to it.

Maybe they think it will increase her chance at a team medal or a better than bronze team medal. Three time national champion and Olympic team silver medalist has an even finer ring to it.

Maybe the dream isn't for an individual medal at the Olympics (which feels very much like a long shot) but a medal at Worlds. Post-Olympic Worlds is a strange and unpredictable competition, as Kimmie Meissner proves. Three time national champion, Olympic team silver medalist and World medalist has an extremely fine ring to it.

Maybe there's concern that Jeremy Abbott's crappy competitive nerves have been infecting Alysa.

Or maybe the University of Colorado has said Alysa can take a couple of courses for credit, giving her a head start on her bachelor's degree.
Alysa has already won 3 competitions this year besides a coach can't affect a skaters competitive nerves if they did she would have had several meltdowns this season. As for being 3 time US champion and Olympic medalist she was already on that path with Jeremy and Massimo.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
While I'm sure that UCCS would be happy to accept her, the same can be said for just about any community or junior college of which there are several in the Bay Area, not to mention there are some excellent four-year universities who would be happy, I bet, to work with her (UC Berkeley, Cal State Hayward, San Jose State, Santa Clara, Stanford, SF State, USF, Sonoma State, UC Davis and Sac State are the major ones in NorCal that I can think of off the top of my head). She would get a fine start on her bachelor's degree at ANY of those universities.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I am sad about the coaching change. Not so much about her wanting to go to college and stop skating competitively. Her dad has a number of children, and unless he's breaking even on the skating, I can't see how it is fair to the rest of family. That said, I will miss her if she does go in this direction.
College is always available. Skating is not.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Well, I hope it works out for her despite history indicating otherwise when it comes to coaching changes this soon before Nats/Olys.

My personal unsupported by facts opinion is that the dad bought into the hype of her being an OGM contender after her first National title and has been in major denial since her growth spurt and jump difficulties. His planned timeline culminated in 2022 and he can't cope with a plan B. It's truly a shame he doesn't seem to appreciate what so many of us now see in her skating -- better expression, musicality, elegance, maturity, etc. I hope she continues to compete after this season.
Well, there's something based on nothing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The other stuff sounds plausible but I haven't seen her infected with crappy competitive nerves. She's pretty solid in that regard.

While I'm sure that UCCS would be happy to accept her, the same can be said for just about any community or junior college of which there are several in the Bay Area, not to mention there are some excellent four-year universities who would be happy, I bet, to work with her (UC Berkeley, Cal State Hayward, San Jose State, Santa Clara, Stanford, SF State, USF, Sonoma State, UC Davis and Sac State are the major ones in NorCal that I can think of off the top of my head). She would get a fine start on her bachelor's degree at ANY of those universities.
Sonoma State, UC David, and Sac State are too far away from the rink. ;) [And Cal State Hayward changed their name to Cal State East Bay because Hayward is seen as low-rent. Or something.]

If it was me, I'd pick Stanford. :D

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The other stuff sounds plausible but I haven't seen her infected with crappy competitive nerves. She's pretty solid in that regard.

Sonoma State, UC David, and Sac State are too far away from the rink. ;) [And Cal State Hayward changed their name to Cal State East Bay because Hayward is seen as low-rent. Or something.]

If it was me, I'd pick Stanford. :D
Because Cal State East Bay somehow sounds LESS low-rent? ;) j/k - I know there are plenty of pricey enclaves in the East Bay, but, really, changing the name is sort of like trying to sow a silk purse out of a pig's ear - everybody still KNOWS, lol.

I'd agree that Sonoma State, UC Davis & Sac State are all too far away but she's been enrolled with Connections Academy (I think, not 100% positive) and I'm sure all of them offer at least some online courses.

And who wouldn't pick Stanford? But, Santa Clara and Berkeley aren't exactly anything to sniff at; plus there is St Mary's right there in Moraga if she's looking for a smaller college experience.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have a feeling this is only meant to be a plan till the end of the season. Even if she continues to skate, I’m sure everything will be reevaluated. I don’t foresee the move having that much of an impact short term either way.
I hope you are right.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Interesting perspective. Perhaps time will reveal what was the driving force behind this move, and whether it is likely to happen now- close to the Olympics- or next season, as a long term plan.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Where are people reading all the hype of Alysa supposedly winning or making the Olympic podium? I have yet to see any of this so called hype. Are people forgetting she didn’t make the US podium last year?

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Now admittedly "Olympic hopeful" is not the same thing as "Olympic medalist", but the hype machine is already gearing up....

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Maybe he's thinking the same thing Nathan Chen's mother was thinking right before his Olympic short program - she told him what jumps to do, he told Raf, and the rest his history.
Yes, this is pretty much my fear. I know Alysa is very much a long shot for an individual medal, but I especially hope she can have clean skates in both the team and individual events. Establish herself in the new quad as a future contender for medals at Worlds and perhaps the next Olympics! I hope that at the very least, Alysa keeps both of her programs for the Olympic season. She's a rookie senior and not experienced enough imo, to change her programs at the last second before the most major competition of her career. I hope this hasn't rattled her, and that she still skates lights out at Nationals - and hopefully at the Olympics. 🤞🙏

I'm honestly bummed about this sudden coaching change. I think that Massimo and Jeremy were doing great things with Alysa. She improved so much. But it's still very much a work in progress. They needed more time. It's going to take at least another season imo, or possibly a bit longer, for Alysa to show great improvement in her jumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information