Alysa Liu Switches to Colorado Coaching Team

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Oh no! I think that this is a HORRIBLE decision just before Nationals and the Olympic Games! 😕 What could her father be thinking? Anyway, I sincerely hope that Alysa can adjust quickly, prove me wrong, and skate lights out at Nationals and the Olympics. ❤🙏❤ I also sincerely hope that she doesn't become a career coach-hopper.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
But surely someone (USFSA even) would step in and say, "Hey, I know this isn't great, but also switching coaches 2 months before nationals doesn't usually work out the way you want." Idk it makes zero sense to me. Work your rotations and then wait until next season if you think you have to switch.
Because daddy has dollar signs in his eyes for an Olympic OGM endorsements and waiting 4 years doesn't work for him. I've never had the impression they wanted skating to be a career, but a means to an end. He may have made a big error in judgement

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Christy Krall still works with Dartfish, no? Maybe Liu is the type of learner who needs to see what she's doing to connect what it feels like to what it looks like.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Christy Krall still works with Dartfish, no? Maybe Liu is the type of learner who needs to see what she's doing to connect what it feels like to what it looks like.
In that case, they could make a trip to see her and work on jumps for a bit. It doesn't require a coaching change.

The protagonists' lips are sealed so we will never know.
I hold out hope that Michelle will write her memoirs someday.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Huh, this is interesting...on the one hand I understand, because Abbot and Scaeli were not going to be much help with the jumps and her SS improved a ridiculous amount while working with them, so I can see Liu's team thinking, 'we've got what we wanted from this relationship, time to move on...' However, the timing seems a bit silly, because: really, she is not going to get an individual medal at the Olympics this year unless a really unlikely set of circumstances unfold. It would seem that this move would have made better sense at the end of the season. I could see Tom Z. maybe being an option (and I am not a fan) because he got Mirai her 3A and they want to get Alysa's 3A rotated ASAP. Still, there's the rest of her jumps, so...

Jammers

What the hell is Alysa or her father doing? Alysa's improvement happened with those two coaches so now she's probably going to go to the king and queen of coaches who's skaters underrotate their jumps Tom Z or Tammy G?

Firedancer

Alysa’s urs are definitely a problem but this just seems like a bad idea. It is way to close to nationals and the Olympics. And there is not much time for her to adjust to a new coaching team, forget actually fixing anything. Also, Colorado is really the last place I think she should go.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Alysa’s urs are definitely a problem but this just seems like a bad idea. It is way to close to nationals and the Olympics. And there is not much time for her to adjust to a new coaching team, forget actually fixing anything. Also, Colorado is really the last place I think she should go.
it's not as if there are a lot of other choices in the US for what they want. And a team medal won't do it. You don't get big fat endorsements in skating unless it's the individual gold.

Last edited:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Either they had a total breakdown in communication with her current coaching team (could happen?) or they are desperate and had expected her to go to Olympics this year, be a big star, and move on. I think that was unrealistic even in the best of circumstances.

Carolla5501

Wow I love you all know everything that went on and know her dad made a bad decision

Maybe he made the decision for reasons besides skating? We have seen enough with skaters and coaches to know that sometimes you just need to pull the plug and go out and it may be that it was not the knee-jerk reaction you want it to be. Maybe you should quit judging if you don’t know all the facts?

United States figure skating should’ve stopped this because they have the skaters best interest at heart? . I wouldn’t trust them with any decisions about a child of mine

Sparks

Could it be politiks? Jeremy and Pasqual are relatively new at coaching a singles skater. Just a thought.

wickedwitch

Either they had a total breakdown in communication with her current coaching team (could happen?) or they are desperate and had expected her to go to Olympics this year, be a big star, and move on. I think that was unrealistic even in the best of circumstances.
I'm not sure Alysa(/Alysa's father?) had any intention of her skating past this year. She's talked a lot about going to college next year, even though she'd be pretty young.

Carolla5501

That move made sense though Frank was a upgrade from her coaching before and it was right as the season started not 6 weeks before Nationals.
That made sense? Oh yeah Frank was the perfect coach for Gracie. Really? I think a lot of the problems Gracie’s has can be traced directly to that move

This was not matching a coach to a skaters need, it was Frank can you get an Olympic medal and that’s all we care about and they paid the price and sadly Gracie paid an even bigger price

DreamSkates

That made sense? Oh yeah Frank was the perfect coach for Gracie. Really? I think a lot of the problems Gracie’s has can be traced directly to that move

This was not matching a coach to a skaters need, it was Frank can you get an Olympic medal and that’s all we care about and they paid the price and sadly Gracie paid an even bigger price
How a skater reacts to a coach is not necessarily the fault of the coach.

skatingguy

decently
Could it be politiks? Jeremy and Pasqual are relatively new at coaching a singles skater. Just a thought.
Liu is already seen as a lock for the US team, and she's the top US woman so far this season by quite a margin so I don't think politics would be the issue. I think this comes down to expectations, and things haven't worked out the way they were supposed to two years ago.

Jammers

And here i thought Gracie was reckless when she left Alex Ourashiev right before the Olympic season started in 2013 but at least she had time to get a new coach and it was a legend of the sport who knew what Gracie needed to take the next step. But this is just stupidity in my book.

attyfan

IMO, this is not at all like the Kwan situation ... she was not merely an established star, but she was 20 years old and a legal adult. This means that, no matter whose idea it was, the person who had the final say was necessarily Michelle herself. None of these things apply to Alysa.

DreamSkates

Oh no! I think that this is a HORRIBLE decision just before Nationals and the Olympic Games! 😕 What could her father be thinking? Anyway, I sincerely hope that Alysa can adjust quickly, prove me wrong, and skate lights out at Nationals and the Olympics. ❤🙏❤ I also sincerely hope that she doesn't become a career coach-hopper.
Maybe he's thinking the same thing Nathan Chen's mother was thinking right before his Olympic short program - she told him what jumps to do, he told Raf, and the rest his history.

skatingguy

decently
Maybe you should quit judging if you don’t know all the facts?
What fun is that?

Yes, new information could come out & this decision would make sense, but at this point speculating as some other reason other than Liu's failure to medal at NHK doesn't make a lot of sense.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'm not sure Alysa(/Alysa's father?) had any intention of her skating past this year. She's talked a lot about going to college next year, even though she'd be pretty young.
i wouldn't blame them for that. Coaching, costumes, ice time, etc., for another 4 years with no guarantee of an OGM in 4 years against the upcoming Russian juniors is expensive. If she's not earning income from skating, it's just for fun and that's expensive fun.

DreamSkates

Huh, this is interesting...on the one hand I understand, because Abbot and Scaeli were not going to be much help with the jumps and her SS improved a ridiculous amount while working with them, so I can see Liu's team thinking, 'we've got what we wanted from this relationship, time to move on...' However, the timing seems a bit silly, because: really, she is not going to get an individual medal at the Olympics this year unless a really unlikely set of circumstances unfold. It would seem that this move would have made better sense at the end of the season. I could see Tom Z. maybe being an option (and I am not a fan) because he got Mirai her 3A and they want to get Alysa's 3A rotated ASAP. Still, there's the rest of her jumps, so...
Abbott was there for artistry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information