All Thing PBS

Artemis@BC

I really love "Miss Fisher", too. Costuming is gorgeous! Pretty lightweight stories but cute series.

Lightweight indeed -- and pretty laughable too. I roll my eyes in every episode at her "plucky girl detective" antics.

But I don't care how silly it is. It's fantastic eye-candy, both in terms of the to-die-for costumes, and the very yummy Jack.

BTW, I haven't spotted this on my PBS, but Knowledge Network in BC aired both seasons a while ago. And I see that there's a commitment for season 3, so looking forward to that.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Why would Lizzy refer to her husband as "Darcy"? His name is Fitzwilliam; surely she's gotten to the point where she can call him by his first name (or a nickname)!
I love how Lizzy looks like a real human being in this preview of DCTP. Not like a perfect pretty Lizzy we all want to be....a REAL Elizabeth. Who's had several children and runs a huge estate (or the domestic parts of it which must be exhausting...) Matthew Rhys though.....damn....he's hot. Granny crush. Sorry.
Hope they can do this justice. I found the book underwhelming. That actress, btw, played Esther Summerson in the BBC adaptation of Bleak House.

A.H.Black

Why would Lizzy refer to her husband as "Darcy"? His name is Fitzwilliam; surely she's gotten to the point where she can call him by his first name (or a nickname)!

[/I].

I may be wrong, but I always thought it was the custom to refer to each other by the formal last name, even in every day conversation. I'm thinking that calling him Darcy, rather than Mr. Darcy, was the familiar form. I would think first names alone would only be used in intimate situations, and maybe not then.

cygnus

I may be wrong, but I always thought it was the custom to refer to each other by the formal last name, even in every day conversation. I'm thinking that calling him Darcy, rather than Mr. Darcy, was the familiar form. I would think first names alone would only be used in intimate situations, and maybe not then.

The Bennett parents were still calling each other "Mr Bennett" and Mrs Bennett" after twenty- something years of marriage.

Artemis@BC

New Masterpiece series starting this Sunday: Breathless. About a London hospital gynecology ward in 1961. Looks promising.

I'll be tuning in -- and not just because of Jack Davenport. :swoon:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
The Bennett parents were still calling each other "Mr Bennett" and Mrs Bennett" after twenty- something years of marriage.

And if my first name were Fitzwilliam, I wouldn't go by it either. :) I really liked the book; hope the movie turns out well!

Artemis@BC

Did anyone else watch Breathless? I was underwhelmed.

I don't know if they were going for a "Mad Men meets Call the Midwife" vibe or not but the show came off unfavourably in comparison to both.

The best parts were dealing with the social issues of the time -- illegal abortions for those who can afford them, the pill for married women, and hysterectomies and tranquilizers as "treatments" for menopause -- but those were minor storylines and were buried in character interactions that just didn't grab me. In particular the Cyprus secret -- I don't know what it is but it just seemed like a completely unnecessary distraction to me.

I was interested though to see Zoe Boyle, who played the redhead Jean. She was about as different from her Lavinia Swire character as you can get and still be a woman!

I'll watch at least one more to see if it gets better, but so far I'd give it a meh.

Jubak

I thought the same thing about Breathless, although I still will watch. Terrific analogy - Mad Men meets Call the Midwife! The Knick on Cinemax is a much better, albeit a little grizzly, show.

Grannyfan

I don't know how to do the spoiler thing, so if you haven't watched Breathless and plan to, you can skip this.

I watched all of Breathless. Was anyone else as disappointed in the ending as I was? The jerk is the only one who gets out with a chance at some future happiness??? And I must have missed what they did with the inspector's body. It was almost like the writers decided it wasn't worth it to wrap everything up so they just stopped. One good thing, though. I will add Jack Davenport to my list of actors with marvelous speaking voices.

reckless

Friday, September 26, Live from Lincoln Center begins airing Sweeney Todd starring Emma Thompson and Bryn Terfel with the New York Philharmonic. The date and time may depend on the local PBS station.

Skate Talker

Really weird - our "local" PBS station only showed the first 2 parts of Breathless because they had specials on for pledges by the 3rd week. Now they are moving on to the Roosevelts, and then the Miss Marple programs.

Fortunately my particular cable package also carried Detroit PBS (though not in HD) and they had the 3rd episode so I wasn't left hanging.

Cachoo

Love FDR and cannot wait to see what Burns and Co. does with TR, Eleanor and FDR. I watched "Breathless" and was not crazy about it. I wanted to think "Mad Men" with doctors but instead I kept thinking of "Peyton Place." Schmaltzy...

Karina1974

I went to a contra dance in Albany on Friday night, and the duo providing the music, Becky Tracy and Keith Murphy, as it turns out, has music in the soundtrack for The Roosevelts. From what they said, it will be heard in the segment discussing FDR's death.

Ken Burns used the music of another regional duo (and contra dance favorite), Jay Ungar and Molly Mason's "Ashokan Farewell", in his Civil War miniseries. I have that on My List on Netflix.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Loved the first night of The Roosevelts. TR is my favorite president, so I've been really looking forward to watching this.

Karina, Burns' Civil War series is great, just like all his work.

Artemis@BC

I don't know if this is carried on all PBS affiliates, but I just noticed that the Seattle one will be airing Moone Boy starting this Thursday (11:30 pm). I was initiated to this show when I was visiting a friend who has Hifi, and I found it quite delightful.

It's about a 12-yr-old boy growing up in 1980s small-town Ireland ... and his imaginary friend (played by Chris O'Dowd, who also wrote the show). It's quirky-funny and charming. Note that the pilot episode is a little weak, but it gets a lot better after that.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

kittyjake5

I don't know if this is carried on all PBS affiliates, but I just noticed that the Seattle one will be airing Moone Boy starting this Thursday (11:30 pm). I was initiated to this show when I was visiting a friend who has Hifi, and I found it quite delightful.

It's about a 12-yr-old boy growing up in 1980s small-town Ireland ... and his imaginary friend (played by Chris O'Dowd, who also wrote the show). It's quirky-funny and charming. Note that the pilot episode is a little weak, but it gets a lot better after that.

This program aired in my area last night, and I enjoyed it so much? Looking forward to upcoming episodes.

clairecloutier

Anyone else watching the second season of The Paradise? I thought Sunday night's episode was interesting!! Love the characters on this show, especially Denise, Katherine, and Clara. Good acting all around.

Artemis@BC

Who else is looking forward to Death Comes to Pemberley? Starts this Sunday on Masterpiece.

I actually didn't like the book that much, I thought it was surprisingly ineffective as mystery, given the author (PD James). The Pemberley elements, and the Darcy-married-couple stuff, were better. But I think it could work really well as a TV adaptation. Plus I really like Anna Maxwell.

I'm sure lots of people will argue over the relative merits of Matthew Rhys and Anna Maxwell, compared to other iterations of Darcy & Elizabeth ... but I'm choosing to look at this with fresh eyes and keep an open mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information