All Thing PBS

dardar1126

I really enjoyed The Poisoner's Handbook...fascinating look at the developement of forensic chemistry in the early 20th century.

Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 24m
Did you miss The Poisoner's Handbook when it aired on @AmExperiencePBS last night? Watch it online at http://to.pbs.org/1lACAMi

Now it's time for an expedition...

PBS ‏@PBS 1h
Pack your bags & retrace Sir Ernest Shackleton’s epic voyage. CHASING SHACKLETON begins @ 10/9c http://to.pbs.org/1gDv2Wf #ShackletonPBS

Tim Jarvis ‏@TimJarvisAM 6 Jan
New film re-stages epic 1914 Antarctic rescue http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/new-film-re-stages-epic-1914-antarctic-rescue … @PBS @ShackletonEpic #ShackletonPBS watch this Wed 8 Jan!

EDIT:

Tim Jarvis ‏@TimJarvisAM 2h
watch my interview w @AnnCurry @NBCNews in prep for tonight's premiere of Chasing Shackleton @PBS #ShackeltonPBS http://nbcnews.to/1agAGMo

Last edited:

dardar1126

Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 4m
Did you miss last night's documentary "Chasing Shackleton"? See it http://to.pbs.org/19fR559 (continues next Wednesday) #ShackletonPBS

Fascinating documentary of the attempted recreation of a miserable, dangerous journey...6 modern adventurers, 22 foot boat, freezing cold :cold:, crappy food, always wet, rough and dangerous seas...and this is only after about 5 days at sea and only about 25% of the sea journey covered! :eek:

I can't wait for Parts 2 and 3! :watch:

dardar1126

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/tca-pbs-touts-ratings-gains-defends-downton-delay-1201065408/

In addition to the June return of “Last Tango in Halifax,” a “Masterpiece” romance starring Derek Jacobi, PBS will feature the actor paired with another knighted performer, Ian McKellen, in “Vicious,” a rare half-hour sitcom for the network. Both programs will begin their runs on June 29.

McKellen and Jacobi both appeared via satellite in support of “Vicious,” an ITV series in which they play a gay couple that’s been together for nearly 50 years. Asked about the general lack of such projects featuring older stars in the U.S., Jacobi quipped that the willingness in the U.K. to construct shows around septuagenarians is “certainly very good for us and our bank balances.”

Artemis@BC

I've seen a couple of episodes of Vicious, and I thought it was one of the worst things I've seen on TV. Ever. I don't find couples bickering to be entertaining anyway, but when it's dripping with out-of-date stereotypes it's offensive and sickening. Awful, just awful. And I'm astounded that top-notch performers like McKellan and Jacobi would take on such roles.

dardar1126

I've seen a couple of episodes of Vicious, and I thought it was one of the worst things I've seen on TV. Ever. I don't find couples bickering to be entertaining anyway, but when it's dripping with out-of-date stereotypes it's offensive and sickening. Awful, just awful. And I'm astounded that top-notch performers like McKellan and Jacobi would take on such roles.

Well, that's one vote for "SKIP IT!" :judge:

But now I HAVE to see it. ;)

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

^ Oh yes, definitely see for yourself. I'd been "warned off" by someone else before I watched, but that made me even more curious ...

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Our PBS station has been replaying the Jimi Hendrix bio on American Masters & I just can't keep myself from watching it over & over. I did not realize he was such an introvert offstage. Who knew Dweezil Zappa had grown up into such a handsome young man????

The other one I admit to watching more than once is Don McLean: American Troubadour. He has never been one of my favorites, but I had to take another look after I heard Roberta Flack named him as the subject of Killing Me Softly. (And go back in my memory wondering how I never knew that when I was a young kid singing along with every word!)

Artemis@BC

^ I saw this live at Stratford nearly 20 years ago. And then again a couple of years ago in one of those live-theatre-at-the-movies broadcasts -- I think that's the production that will air on PBS.

Aside from Plummer at his best, it's a great play for anyone who has any interest at all in the creative process. Or the Barrymores.

AragornElessar

PBS Detroit never showed this, as every Friday they do a Classic Film Festival thing and last night was Some Like It Hot. Which was a good thing, as I finally got it on DVD, but I would have adored to see this!!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Oh my gosh, Barrymore was amazing. Plummer had that audience in the palm of his hand the moment he stepped onstage, and with good reason.

I have got to get that on DVD.

Artemis@BC

Since some of these are getting muddled up in the Downton Abbey thread, I thought I'd put in a post for the return dates of some of our favourite British series:

Call the Midwife - Mar 30
Mr. Selfridge - Mar 30
The Bletchley Circle - Apr 21

Any others?

I don't know what Masterpiece will be showing on Mar 9-16-13, though. The last episode of Downton Abbey should be done Mar 2 if I've done my math right, and the PBS website only has the Masterpiece schedule up to Feb 23.

Artemis@BC

^ I saw that when they did their movie-theatre broadcast in the fall. It was fantastic, as you'd expect -- although also slightly frustrating because it makes you want to see the whole productions rather than just scenes.

Artemis@BC

Another returning favourite: Doc Martin. I spotted on another board that they started season 6 on the Detroit PBS affiliate last night, and I believe the Seattle one will be airing it starting next month. Yay!

I do think it's lost a lot of its freshness, they should have ended with season 4, but I'm still looking forward to the conclusion of the story. I believe 6 will be the last season.

Artemis@BC

Did anyone else catch The Making of a Lady on Sunday night after Downton? It was delightfully creepy, the way any Victorian gothic thriller should be. Frances Hodgson Burnett all grown up. :lol:

The ending was a bit rushed, but I thought it was well done overall, very enjoyable.

Latte

Did anyone else catch The Making of a Lady on Sunday night after Downton? It was delightfully creepy, the way any Victorian gothic thriller should be. Frances Hodgson Burnett all grown up. :lol:

The ending was a bit rushed, but I thought it was well done overall, very enjoyable.

Yes I enjoyed it very much.

Grannyfan

I recorded it and watched it last night. I enjoyed it too, and spent a lot of the time trying to remember where I've seen the two male leads before. The Emily actress reminded me of Justine Waddell, whom I've seen in many British productions.

Artemis@BC

Linus Roache (Walderhurst) is mostly a stage actor, but is known for screen work on this side of the pond for a recurring role in Law & Order, and in Britain probably best known for Coronation Street.

I agree about Lydia Wilson's similarity to Justine Waddell. They both have that classic ingénue look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information