Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm talking about rooting for skaters in competition. You can't root for the skating of a retired person. (Unless you're taking a trip down memory lane via YouTube, but that's not what I meant.)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, as we just saw today, Kaitlyn Weaver is a good person ❤️

I'm also pretty sure I've never heard a bad word said about Tatiana Volosozhar.
Oh, I remember a few FSU posts about how terrible she was for "cheating" on Stas Morosov when she and Trankov started their relationship, even though they were never married. :rolleyes: But then, there are posters who are quick to make assumptions about people even if they don't have inside knowledge.

antmanb

Katia Gordeeva and Michelle Kwan seem pretty likable after all these years.
I'd agree completely with you about that but you've picked two skaters who, outside of maybe Asada/Yuna/Sotnikova or the Fanyus, have had more than their fair share of deranged vitriol spewed all over the internet, and that was in the days before social media so plenty of people out there don't like them.

MsZem

I see the sea
I'd agree completely with you about that but you've picked two skaters who, outside of maybe Asada/Yuna/Sotnikova or the Fanyus, have had more than their fair share of deranged vitriol spewed all over the internet, and that was in the days before social media so plenty of people out there don't like them.
Yes, some people are just weird.

But Kaitlyn Weaver really does seem to be very well-liked. I've only heard nice things about Kiira Korpi too - other than accusations that she was getting marks because of her looks, which is not something she could control.

I think Aljona is making a huge mistake that will tarnish her legacy and cost her some of her relationships within skating. And unlike 2014, there's no compelling reason for her to continue her career.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yes, some people are just weird.

But Kaitlyn Weaver really does seem to be very well-liked. I've only heard nice things about Kiira Korpi too - other than accusations that she was getting marks because of her looks, which is not something she could control.

I think Aljona is making a huge mistake that will tarnish her legacy and cost her some of her relationships within skating. And unlike 2014, there's no compelling reason for her to continue her career.
She doesn't have a 4CC gold medal. Maybe she wants a complete set. Otherwise, I've got nothing.

canbelto

A million depressions. I remember the night Aljona won OGM after so many tries. I cried. It sounds silly but the performance was so beautiful and I was so moved.

Now to see her and Bruno estranged, she takes up with a much younger pairs skater who has a bunch of allegations against him, it's like ... why? There's more to life than skating.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice

And Harley Windsor is now calling a fan (who is rightfully upset now) "a joke of a human" who should "step aside and stop shitting on people for facts that you don’t know about."

🤮

ETA: Windsor has deleted that tweet.

Another skater we can throw in the garbage bin. What is wrong with some of these people? Why are some of these skaters so outspoken about defending rapists and their enablers?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
As for show opportunities, Bruno was the one who moved his family back to France and started a coaching career. There weren't many show opportunities available and if he's coaching, he'd have even less time besides the fact they are in different countries. Savchenko wanted him to compete this season. He said no. As to why he might be angry with her? I've no idea since he's not saying anything and I don't expect him to do so.

As to why she chose her current partner, no idea and until she says why, nobody knows. Nor, do we know if she knows the allegations that were made against him since they weren't made to Safesport or any other administrative body. Maybe she does and doesn't care, maybe she doesn't. But, I'll withhold judgment until she says why she made this particular decision. Clearly, the USFSA has been aware or she wouldn't have asked for a release from Germany and announced her intention to skate for the US.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I'm SHOCKED. the only think I know about Nyman is the sexual assault/abuse allegations. I don't recall him ever competing internationally at the senior level? Who did he even skate with?
I vaguely remember the allegations where not only around his partner, right? but also someone else? It seems the Sappenfield camp enables male harerssers, tbh.

In addition - I know Sappenfield coaches a lot of US pairs, but it's not like US pair program has produced lots of champions... is Sappenfield a useful coach for someone like Savchenko? I truly don't get it.

I am giving this stunt a year at most.

I'm wondering if she really wants to compete again, why not wait a year? She can't go to Oly in '22 (unless she skates for a country where both she and her partner already have citizenship, or for a country with very lax expediting rules AND that already have slots). After Olys there will probably be breakups and new partnerships, and it would be a better time to find a new partner.

Bruno unfollowed Aljona in IG :watch:

Maybe Bruno and Meagan can team up for shows once everyone can travel again...

I was very happy for Savchenko when she won her OGM, and it was such an amazing performance. All this is making me conflicted about it - but I can still be happy for Bruno, and that Jeff Ballester got to experience it with him.
A million depressions. I remember the night Aljona won OGM after so many tries. I cried. It sounds silly but the performance was so beautiful and I was so moved.

Now to see her and Bruno estranged, she takes up with a much younger pairs skater who has a bunch of allegations against him, it's like ... why? There's more to life than skating.

me too. Very few performances leave me in tears, and theirs did. it was a perfect moment, and I will try to hold on to that, and not let this taint it.

But this does taint her career. I'm fully supportive of skaters un-retiring and competing as they get older if they want to. I don't think you have to end your career on a perfect note in terms of medals, as long as you're having fun. But I do think there should be some integrity somewhere, and skating with someone's whose name most people only recognize for his abuse allegations is just not the way to come back?

W
T
F

cgh_11

Apparently, Bruno is also surprised. He posted a photo of his family and something along the lines of: "Family is the best way to get over such news".
So, I guess she pulled another Aliona on him, just like with Robin before and now Bruno will lose a lot of money because his show career with Aliona is not going to happen now.

Aliona is tempting Karma like crazy...this is not going to end well.
I know this is an Aliona thread, but I just had a vision of Meagan Duhamel skating pairs shows with Bruno in Europe, Chris K. In the US and Dylan M. in Canada. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information