Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
Will she be able to get US citizenship within eight months? I know she is the olympic champion, but eight months is very short time to get citizenship.

canbelto

@Karen-W are you saying victims allow their abusers to cause them harm?

Re: citizenship, isn't AS married to an American? I know that no longer is a quick path to citizenship, but doesn't it speed things up?

No sje's married to a British guy.

Vagabond

@my little pony @quartz No more requests today, please. I've got other stuff to do.

Heaven help you, 'Ljona Savchenko
TJ loves you more than we do now, wo wo wo
God bless you please, 'Ljona Savchenko
Heaven holds a place for you we pray, hey hey hey 🙏
Hey hey hey

We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files 👨‍🔬 👩‍🔬
We'd like to help you learn to help yourself
Look around you, all you see are disappointed eyes :(
Skate around the rink until you feel at home ⛸️ ⛸️

And here's to you, 'Ljona Savchenko
Hey hey hey

Hide him in a hiding place where no one ever goes :scream:
Put him in your study with your trophies 🥇 🏆
We're a little queasy, we think you've gone astray 🤢 :huh:
Most of all, you've got to hide him from the kids!

Coo coo ca-choo, 'Ljona Savchenko
Hey hey hey

Side-by-side quadruples on a Sunday afternoon
Going to the qualifying skate
Laugh about it, shout about it
When you've got to choose
Every way you look at it you lose

Where have you gone, Bruno Massot? 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇫🇷
All nations turn their lonely eyes to you, wo wo wo
What's that you say, 'Ljona Savchenko
M'sieur Massot has left and gone away, hey hey hey
Hey hey hey​

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
@Karen-W are you saying victims allow their abusers to cause them harm?

Re: citizenship, isn't AS married to an American? I know that no longer is a quick path to citizenship, but doesn't it speed things up?
No, sorry. I didn’t mean for that to be the implication of my comment. I don't think that any victim "lets" abuse happen but it's been well-noted and discussed in various threads here and elsewhere that there is a power dynamic which can often contribute to abusers being able to get away with their abhorrent behavior. In pairs/dancing one of those power dynamics is that the the abused is conditioned to believe that their options are limited and they are lucky to have the male partner they have, regardless of abusive he is. I'd like to believe that a mature woman with Aljona's level of success brings more confidence and power to the relationship than the likes of the unknown, unproven male partner and that if he does try to go down that road of abuse with her, she will dump him like a sack of hot potatoes. There are, after all, other male skaters in the US who might be interested in skating with her should an opportunity present itself in another year.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Will she be able to get US citizenship within eight months? I know she is the olympic champion, but eight months is very short time to get citizenship.
No, absolutely not. She probably wouldn’t be able to have it for 2026 either.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
:yikes: i couldn't be more disappointed in Aljiona. It also makes zero sense whatsoever to pair up with a never-skated-senior skater, to say nothing of how problematic he is for his non skating behaviour. What does she hope to achieve?
The only thing I can think is that she turned Massot into Oly champion in what, 3 seasons? And she's looking for a bigger challenge: turn a no-name skater with no senior competition experience from a country with hopeless pairs program into...well, into something.

I'm still not dealing with the accusations side of this because it makes my head explode.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I normally love off-season drama, but not this. I truly question Savchenko's judgement, because none of this makes sense. Sappenfield?? Nyman????

I'm very interested to see what USFSA does with this. I can see the allure of having a skater like Savchenko representing your federation, but honestly they should be distancing themselves from it all (at least privately to all the right people who will spread that around).

antmanb

Well, the opposite view is that she's doing the USFS and skating in general a service by skating with TJ which means he won't be harassing some younger, more vulnerable pairs girl. Because, let’s be real, do we honestly believe Aljona is going to allow him to abuse her in any way?
I know you've addressed this in another post but I can't let it slide - as flippant as I'm sure your comment is, this is victim blaming language that should be checked every time. Victims do not allow themselves to be abused. Strong people (physically and emotionally) can be abused, their physical strength or mental fortitude are not in anyway responsible for what another person does to them.

Framing the issue as someone else being responsible (bringing Aljiona in to stop him harassing other potential partners) means the abuser never has to take responsibility (something that I suspect has been happening a lot with Nyman throughout his career). The best way to stop Nyman from abusing his skating partners is to ban him from the sport for his behaviour and hope that the police or the FBI can find sufficient proof to bring him to justice.

Spiralgraph

Geesh I didn't expect this to happen. Bad bad move all the way around. The only thing I'll say is that I'm confident that whatever her age is now I'm sure Aljiona can land triples better than any of our American female pair skaters. And that's not an endorsement of this new partnership. I won't support this team because of Nyman.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I was on board for Savchenko's partnership with Massot from the beginning, but this I just don't understand. She went out on the highest note possible - why do something that not only doesn't add to her legacy, it may well detract from it?
Because there is nothing like the rush of competing. I get that. If she can physically carry it off....good for her. Not very "fair" for US Pairs.

sap5

Just baffling. I was going to ask if possibly she just wants to be in the US and this is a route to that, but couldn't she do that just by coaching here? This would be a strange choice even without the issues with Nyman personally (which is a big "even without").

I also thought of Rogonov as an alternative @Ananas Astra - there have to be several more appropriate partners in the Russian (and non-Russian) figure skating world who might be possibilities.
Does she like coaching? I had the impression that she doesn't.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Apparently, Bruno is also surprised. He posted a photo of his family and something along the lines of: "Family is the best way to get over such news".
So, I guess she pulled another Aliona on him, just like with Robin before and now Bruno will lose a lot of money because his show career with Aliona is not going to happen now.

Aliona is tempting Karma like crazy...this is not going to end well.

canbelto

Apparently, Bruno is also surprised. He posted a photo of his family and something along the lines of: "Family is the best way to get over such news".
So, I guess she pulled another Aliona on him, just like with Robin before and now Bruno will lose a lot of money because his show career with Aliona is not going to happen now.

Aliona is tempting Karma like crazy...this is not going to end well.
Damn and she had said many times that she felt very close to Bruno and had never felt such rapport with a partner.

MsZem

I see the sea
I'm not sure what exactly Bruno and Aljona agreed to; there still aren't a lot of show skating opportunities, and he has moved on to a pretty time-consuming coaching career. In both cases it's okay to want to continue skating competitively, with a new partner if the previous one is no longer interested.

But the choice of partner here... :scream:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

And Harley Windsor is now calling a fan (who is rightfully upset now) "a joke of a human" who should "step aside and stop shitting on people for facts that you don’t know about."

🤮
I'm really starting to think it's best if we just don't know anything about any of the skaters' personal views and lives at all. Much more of this and we won't have anyone to root for above the novice level.

MsZem

I see the sea
I'm really starting to think it's best if we just don't know anything about any of the skaters' personal views and lives at all. Much more of this and we won't have anyone to root for above the novice level.
Well, as we just saw today, Kaitlyn Weaver is a good person ❤️

I'm also pretty sure I've never heard a bad word said about Tatiana Volosozhar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information