Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

antmanb

:yikes: i couldn't be more disappointed in Aljiona. It also makes zero sense whatsoever to pair up with a never-skated-senior skater, to say nothing of how problematic he is for his non skating behaviour. What does she hope to achieve?

skategal

Bunny mama
It takes five years of permanent residency to qualify for U.S. citizenship, and then there is some promising time for the citizenship application itself. Savchenko would have had to have moved to the U.S. sometime last year, at the height of you-know-what, to have any chance at competing for the U.S.. in 2026.

🤔 But perhaps she can convert to Judaism, make aliyah, and pair up with Krasnopolski. They'd be perfect for each other.
Yes I’m kind of surprised she didn’t try harder for Radford.

Knowing what we are like here with handing out citizenship for Oly gold medalists, she would have had a decent shot at citizenship before 2022. :lol: But definitely by 2026 she could have it.

Must be mega :bribe: involved somewhere. Doubt she would make that kind of money in Canada.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
German fans on the German fb group are ecstatic and sooooo happy "their" Aliona can continue doing what she loves and how much more funding and better chances she'll have in the US.

Way to go Aliona, to commit career-suicide. There is no way the allegations against Nyman won't be mentioned in the media and nowadays, especially in times of #metoo etc., and then Aliona will be the one who willingly skates with such a scumbag who isn't even a good pairs skater plus being coached by a rape-enabler and excuser, and I highly doubt people are going to take this lightly.

She could've asked Radford since she considered him back in the days anyway. Or Rogonov who wanted to continue after Astakhova retired. FFS, even someone like Hao Zhang or Yuri Larionov would be a better choice than this asshole.

I am giving this stunt a year at most.

Last edited:

love skating

Clueless American
I don't get it. When the TJ pairing rumors first came up I thought it was to skate for Germany although I doubt they could expedite his citizenship for next year either. Does she just want to compete again say at Worlds, etc. cause the Olympics seem to be difficult to reach. I guess Brynne is left out in the cold or will they put her back with her old partner?

His troubled reputation aside, just how good could this pairing be? I remember not thinking her pairing with Massot would be successful so I dare not guess.

mjb52

Just baffling. I was going to ask if possibly she just wants to be in the US and this is a route to that, but couldn't she do that just by coaching here? This would be a strange choice even without the issues with Nyman personally (which is a big "even without").

I also thought of Rogonov as an alternative @Ananas Astra - there have to be several more appropriate partners in the Russian (and non-Russian) figure skating world who might be possibilities.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think competing is her life and she can't bear to give it up. And that's not always a bad thing -- unless you insist on keeping it going until your body goes to pieces. Or unless it makes you so desperate for a partner that you'll go with a credibly accused sexual predator.

Vagabond

@quartz, the song practically wrote itself. ;)

Don't tell the director I said so
But are you safe, Miss Savchenko?
We were at a policy meeting
They were planning new ways of cheating
I didn't want to rock your boat
But you sent this dangerous note

[Pre-Chorus]
You've been letting your feelings show
Are you safe, Miss Savchenko?
Miss Shavchenko, are you safe?
Miss Savchenko, are you safe?

[Chorus]
Is anybody alive in here?
Is anybody at all in here?
Nobody but us in here
Nobody but us
Nobody but us

[Verse 2]
Your uniform don't seem to fit
You're much too alive in it

[Pre-Chorus]
You've been letting your feelings show
Miss Savchenko, are you safe?

[Chorus]
Nobody but us in here
Nobody but us
Nobody but us in here
Nobody but us
Nobody but us in here
Nobody but us

😟

Last edited:

chachacha

German fans on the German fb group are ecstatic and sooooo happ "their" Aliona can continue doing what she loves and how much more funding and better chances she'll have in the US.

Way to go Aliona, to commit career-suicide. There is no way the allegations against Nyman won't be mentioned in the media and nowadays, especially in times of #metoo etc., and then Aliona will be the one who willingly skates with such a scumbag who isn't even a good pairs skater plus being coached by a rape-enabler and excuser, and I highly doubt people are going to take this lightly.

She could've asked Radford since she considered him back in the days anyway. Or Rogonov who wanted to continue after Astakhova retired. FFS, even someone like Hao Zhang or Yuri Larionov would be a better choice than this asshole.

I am giving this stunt a year at most.
If it even lasts a year. I'll be interested to see how much actual support the USFSA is supporting this
with the allegations against the Nyman boy and coach Sappenfield.

chachacha

His ego would never survive the experience and I'm not sure the rest of him would either.

And that goes for Nyman too. Savchenko may find herself experiencing buyer's remorse for one or more reasons in quite short order.
Wait until the honeymoon period is over. This Nyman boy has a terrible reputation as well as his coach. This move will ruin her reputation. Perhaps she could have made a better choice in partners and coaches, where is her integrity?

antmanb

I don’t even know who Nyman even is. I’ve heard the name but can’t picture him or who he skated with prior. When Aljona is skating, does anyone look at the guy anyways? 🤷🏼‍♀️
I only heard of him because of the allegations last October: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...sappenfield-accused-of-supporting-him.107656/

@okokok777 do you have any news about the investigation? Sadly if he's finding a skating partner and Sappenfield is going to be the coach it doesn't sound like the investigation has gone anywhere in 8 months.

skategal

Bunny mama
There is no money in the U.S. for figure skating, so unless Nyman's parents are extremely wealthy and they're throwing mega six figures at her, it's extremely hard for me to imagine that the motivation is financial.
I was thinking more along the lines of being able to give her a generous offer as a coach or help with housing allowance or other perks or incentives to come train/coach at that arena and find a partner there.

quartz

scratching at the light
Holy moly @Vagabond, your speed in getting this song done is impressive. Mad respect :respec:

All I’ve managed today so far is to plead out of a zoom meeting so I can watch the French Open. :p

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Well, the opposite view is that she's doing the USFS and skating in general a service by skating with TJ which means he won't be harassing some younger, more vulnerable pairs girl. Because, let’s be real, do we honestly believe Aljona is going to allow him to abuse her in any way?

I doubt the USFS encouraged this partnership much and that might be why the DEU released her - maybe behind the scenes the USFS were telling the DEU privately "eh, we think this is a vanity project for her and won't actually go anywhere substantial."

Or, it could be a temporary stop... like, they attempt to skate for the US and then, in another year or two, ask for a release to skate for the UK.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I guess she wanted to take the heat off Morgan?

Or destroy pairs skating - like it's ok for male pairs partners to have sexual harassment/charges brought against them - and yet if they produce results it's ok?

My respect for her dropped emensely

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
@Karen-W are you saying victims allow their abusers to cause them harm?

Re: citizenship, isn't AS married to an American? I know that no longer is a quick path to citizenship, but doesn't it speed things up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information