Alexei Bychenko Would Like to Stay in US and Coach

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain

reut

Thank you for the link, very interesting read.

What he says about Israelis is not true, and I mean, he doesn't live in Israel and doesn't speak Hebrew, how he would even know what Israelis think. Most of Israelis are "olim" or their parents or grandparents were. Alexei is not seen as Israeli by some people because, like I said, he doesn't live here and doesn't speak the language, doesn't know the anthem, doesn't know much about Israel in general. I still think he deserved to be a flag bearer and I'm glad he was (and in general I'm very proud of him and of what he made with his career, it was very impressive), but I understand people who said that he is "not really Israeli", because, well, he is not. And staying in US he will never become one, let's tell the truth here.

Japanfan

Thank you for the link, very interesting read.

What he says about Israelis is not true, and I mean, he doesn't live in Israel and doesn't speak Hebrew, how he would even know what Israelis think.

I can't access the article here in Canada. Can someone summarize what he said about Israelis, and why he wanted to skate for Israel?

I still think he deserved to be a flag bearer and I'm glad he was (and in general I'm very proud of him and of what he made with his career, it was very impressive), but I understand people who said that he is "not really Israeli", because, well, he is not. And staying in US he will never become one, let's tell the truth here.

Have there ever been any Israeli skaters who were really Israeli, which to me means born in Israel and lived their for much of one's life.

There is only one ice rink in the country, and it's a hot country, so not known for winter sports.

MsZem

I see the sea
Have there ever been any Israeli skaters who were really Israeli, which to me means born in Israel and lived their for much of one's life.

There is only one ice rink in the country, and it's a hot country, so not known for winter sports.
There are two full-sized rinks & Holon.

Not born in Israel, but the Zaretskis, Krasnopolski, and Artem Tsoglin (junior pairs) all moved to Israel at a young age and spent their early career in Israel. Roman Zaretski completed his mandatory IDF service and Krasnopolski also served at least some of his.

Shira Ichilov (junior ice dance) is an Israeli born and raised. Tamar Katz and Ronnie Zilberberg have also spent significant time in Israel, and I think he was born here.

Any skater with elite aspirations has to move away to get high-level training and coaching and sufficient ice time.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
Also Vadim Akolzin. And Sergei Kotov. Myself and Tanya are actually friends with his uncle unrelated to fs. I saw the fatter version of him in the Justice faculty of University of Haifa around 2010.

Well, of course if they fall under the definition of "top skaters".

Lol, ETA, I'm bored :)

Group 1: born in Israel and learned to skate in Israel
-Shira Ichilov
-Roni Zilberberg

Group 2: arrived at very early age and learned to skate in Israel
-Sasha&Roma Zaretski
-Sergei Kotov
-Vadim Akolzin
-Artem Tsoglin
-Evgeni Krasnopolski

Group 3: born in Israel but left at very early age and learned to skate abroad
-Galit Chait
-Daniel Samohin
-Netta Shreiber

Group 4: arrived as established skaters, but actually lived in Israel for some period of time
-Michael Shmerkin
-Natalia Gudina&Alexei Beletski
-Tamar Katz
-Stanislav Samohin
-Sergei Sakhnovski
-Julia Shapiro

Group 5: born and learned to skate abroad, but have some connection to Israel
-Isabella Tobias
-Alexei Bychenko

Group 6: skated for Israel exclusively because could easily obtain the passport
-Aimee Buchanan
-Polina Shelepen
-Adel Tankova
-Danielle Montalbano
-Arina Chernyavskaya
-Andrea Davydovich
-Paige Conners
-Vadim Davidovich
-Maxim Shipov

Group 7: Roman Serov and Ilya Tkachenko.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Wow you are seriously bored.

There is also group 8: israelis representing other countries :p

Vagabond

Group 1: born in Israel and learned to skate in Israel

Group 2: arrived at very early age and learned to skate in Israel

Group 3: born in Israel but left at very early age and learned to skate abroad

Group 4: arrived as established skaters, but actually lived in Israel for some period of time

Group 5: born and learned to skate abroad, but have some connection to Israel

Group 6: skated for Israel exclusively because could easily obtain the passport

Group 7: Roman Serov and Ilya Tkachenko.

Group 7: married someone Israeli and tried to wing it.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
What an extensive list. :respec:

I'd move Shelepen to "Group 5 born and learned to skate abroad, but have some connection to Israel" since she skated for Russia for several years.

MsZem

I see the sea
There's also a group of kids training at Eilat. If any of them make it to the junior level and beyond, they're all Israeli. AFAIK, the ones who are farthest along occasionally compete abroad at the advanced novice level.

fan

I'd move schreiber into group 4, she speaks the language fluently and spends significant time in the country

reut

What an extensive list. :respec:

I'd move Shelepen to "Group 5 born and learned to skate abroad, but have some connection to Israel" since she skated for Russia for several years.

She doesn't have any connection to Israel, just used the passport. So she is in the group she is supposed to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information