AC hate

Susan1

FYI - the high Monday and Tuesday was around 73*, lows around 51. (I left the bedroom window open a crack and had to get up and put on my sleep socks! <I can't stand to have my cold feet touch each other....) The LOW Thursday and Friday nights is supposed to be around 70* and HUMID again.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Frying eggs on the sidewalk is not unique to this summer. I had not seen a melted Mailbox though.

On a more serious note, a couple died when the AC in their house quit working. We are constantly warned every summer to be aware of heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and to stay indoor as much as possible. Without the AC though even the indoor is very uncomfortable.

Being inside the AC the whole time is not healthy, breathing in recirculated air, but it is better than getting heat stroke, or worse. Last week we had 118, 119 deg F temperatures (Glendale had 120). Those are dangerous temperatures. Beyond certain temperatures the body loses its ability to automatically cool itself, even after going inside a building.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Being inside the AC the whole time is not healthy, breathing in recirculated air, but it is better than getting heat stroke, or worse. Last week we had 118, 119 deg F temperatures (Glendale had 120). Those are dangerous temperatures. Beyond certain temperatures the body loses its ability to automatically cool itself, even after going inside a building.

I experienced temperatures that high in Death Valley California, which is said to be one of the hottest places on earth. You just don't go outside in the daytime.

But, at least it cools down a bit after sunset - enough that being outside is pleasant. We were in Phoenix to catch a plane at 5 a.m. in May, and even at that time, it was too hot outside to be comfortable.

It's hot enough for me here in the Pacific Northwest, though it rarely even goes above 30 degrees C. Hot enough that we have AC window units in the office and the bedroom for summer.:scream::scream: Though we don't need to keep them on all the time - it's a lovely evening, 25 C at the moment.

But when do get hot spells, the AC provides welcome relief. And AC was one of my few requirements for my new (used) car. When it's really hot (for the Northwest) I will actually cool the car down for 15 minutes or so before driving. I'm such a weeny! :slinkaway

wickedwitch

I hate over ACed spaces. I moved from Flagstaff, where I had no AC, to Houston, where AC is a requirement. But I keep my thermostat between 81-83 during the day and 79 at night.

My office and all the classrooms, OTOH, are in buildings kept to 71 degrees. And I have to walk a decent distance from my car to get there. Even after a year, I can't find a way to dress comfortably both outside and inside in really hot temperatures. I'm considering keeping a pair of pants there.

Susan1

Funny - at the end of Ali Velshi and Stephanie Ruhle's program today, she sneezed. They were kidding about how he got there first and turned the AC up (down? - to colder, whatever). She said she was off to "put on a sweater - in July". Of course, she had on the requisite female anchor's sleeveless dress and he had on a suit.

oleada

I like A/C; I think it's necessary in tvthe summer but places also go overboard. It's ridiculous that I have to keep a sweater in my office all summer, or run my space heater constantly. It's such a waste of energy.

I also feel that the maintenance guys at work don't take our unit seriously because we're all women, but after our receptionist decided to pester them constantly, they came in to take a look and it was actually 47F in our unit :cold:. They raised it to 65 which is still way too cold.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Well, there have been heat advisories all week for northwestern Louisiana with high in the middle to upper 90s with a heat index anywhere between 105 and 109 because of the humidity. I went to the grocery store around 9:30 this morning because I realized how hot it would be this afternoon. I was finished around 10:15 a.m. and the temperature was already 90 degrees.

By the time I was finished putting up my groceries and going out to the mailbox, I was exhausted. It was because of the humidity and it had already zapped my energy. I've mentioned before that I have good upper body strength because that's what it takes when using a walker. I was so drained and my leg gave out a little early today. I'm okay now, but I guarantee I won't be outside anymore the rest of the day. I thank God with all my heart for giving someone the knowledge and wisdom to invent the A/C. Amen.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I like A/C; I think it's necessary in tvthe summer but places also go overboard. It's ridiculous that I have to keep a sweater in my office all summer, or run my space heater constantly. It's such a waste of energy.

I also feel that the maintenance guys at work don't take our unit seriously because we're all women, but after our receptionist decided to pester them constantly, they came in to take a look and it was actually 47F in our unit :cold:. They raised it to 65 which is still way too cold.

65 would be too cold for where I am. I think they probably keep our building at 75. At home I keep it at 80.

After experiencing 118-119 outside, even 80 feels cold and 65 would feel freezing. However, if 65 is like line with your winter temperatures, may be that's why they keep it that low. Electronic equipment needs to be at low temperatures, and that could be a factor also.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I grew up without AC. In my 30s, we got our first box AC, for the bedroom. I immediately fell in love. My husband says I'd marry the AC if he wasn't there. (Shh... he's right.) But we only have boxes for the bedrooms, and use them when we sleep, on about 68F, and we use ceiling fans to help it out.

My dad in Florida keeps his AC on 80. When I go visit, I sneak out at night and turn the temp down. He knows I do it. ;)

The best place to be in summer is a skating rink. I love it. The only exception is when the heat is bad enough that it overcomes the ability to keep the ice good, and you end up with crap ice, like today. That's not so much fun.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I take strong objections to those who insist that we should live without AC. We have 100 plus temperature even at 9 pm. I come home and find out that my AC is not working. This is the most miserable feeling. Only those who have lived in this kind of weather can understand it. I am going to have to stay in a hotel. We are expecting 110 deg temperatures this week. AC is a blessing. I may not survive without it. I have to survive until tomorrow morning.

Right now I am cursed. Can't even go anywhere this late, can't call someone to come fix it. I have to go through my home warranty, and it takes minimum 2 days to even schedule an appointment. I will be out of town Fri through Sunday. I hope it can be fixed on Thursday, or I will have to find a hotel room again upon my return.

ballettmaus

I think that, like with everything, if it's used responsibly it's okay to use it. That said, I'm not sure how responsibly it's used in the US. Many public places seem to be freezing in the summer and even though we had a high of 72 today, A/Cs were running to our left and right.

Susan1

I think that, like with everything, if it's used responsibly it's okay to use it. That said, I'm not sure how responsibly it's used in the US. Many public places seem to be freezing in the summer and even though we had a high of 72 today, A/Cs were running to our left and right.

I don't know if this is still true, but a decade or so ago, I was told that big places - businesses, stores, offices, etc. have to have their systems switched over from using heat to A/C and back, in season, and they are preset to whatever "room temperature" is. And whichever is on, when the cold or heat is not "running" the fan kicks on. So the cold air is being blown around no matter what the temperature is outside. (However, that also cools off the heat in the winter for me.)

75* for a low last week. 75* for a high yesterday. August in Ohio. Windows open, no fans. High 50s at night. Feels like late September. Great sleeping weather.

Edited - just remembering one building I was in, you could tell when they turned back the heat or air for the night (on a timer) because it would get stuffy about 4:30. And the times I went in on Saturdays, you couldn't hear anything running. I'm sure they didn't turn all heat or air off evenings and weekends, just set it different for when people were there.

p.s. again! - Duh - programmable thermostats like you can get in houses now. Which I can't understand. How do you know if you want to turn the heat up in the morning? Or what temperature you want it to be when you get home. At my previous house, the heat used to click on in the winter when I opened the door from the garage when I got home!

Drifting again..............thinking about my stiletto letter opener that I used to stick up inside the plastic thermostat covers to turn up the heat in two different enclosed sections of buildings at NCR!!! :)

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Sometimes the building design requires that you have either cooling or heating on. It could be by just 2 degrees. If we had 72 degrees here, I would turn on the heat, rather than the AC. For those coming from subzero winters 72 may feel warm.

My car AC was showing 75 degrees yesterday and it was too cold for me. I had to turn it to 80 degrees. That could be too hot for some. The electronic equipment needs low temperatures and it's not possible to please everyone but it's easier to put on a sweater than to take off clothes in public. :)

Anyway, I survived last night by going to the gym till 11 pm, drinking ice water every 15 minutes, splashing myself with cold water every hour, sleeping for just 3 hours so I could go to my air conditioned office. Would I want to do this every day or even one week? No way.

Last edited:

Susan1

Sometimes the building design requires that you have either cooling or heating on. It could be by just 2 degrees. If we had 72 degrees here, I would turn on the heat, rather than the AC. For those coming from subzero winters 72 may feel warm.

My car AC was showing 75 degrees yesterday and it was too cold for me. I had to turn it to 80 degrees. That could be too hot for some. The electronic equipment needs low temperatures and it's not possible to please everyone but it's easier to put on a sweater than to take off clothes in public. :)

Anyway, I survived last night by going to the gym till 11 pm, drinking ice water every 15 minutes, splashing myself with cold water every hour, sleeping for just 3 hours so I could go to my air conditioned office. Would I want to do this every day or even one week? No way.

(I could sit in this house in 90* weather all day and have goosebumps, but it's the hot flashes and night sweats after 9 p.m. and when it's the most humid here that get me.) Put a pillowcase in the freezer all day. Then just lay it on top of your regular pillowcase. If you don't plan on thrashing your head around a lot! Soak a wash cloth and put it in the freezer. It comes out hard and cold as ice, but it softens up as you use it - forehead, wrists, neck.

Japanfan

Good luck getting your AC fixed quickly Vash 01. I think you're in Phoenix? I know how hot it gets there. We caught an early morning flight out of Phoenix once, and it was too hot to be outside at 5 a.m. in May.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am living a nightmare. My AC is broken. My home warranty says it's not covered even though I pay them to get any appliance in my home fixed. I am going to report them to the local tv station as Fraud. Last year they refused to replace my fridge when it couldn't be repaired. I should have canceled their service right then.

I stayed in a hotel last night because my home is unbearable. Will have to stay in a hotel until it has a working AC. The repair company squad it would take $3500-$4000 to get it fixed, at my expense of course. I am going crazy. It's going to be 110 outside and it feels even worse inside my home. These homes are built for AC. Leaving windows open us not an option. Too dangerous. Though I live in a low crime area, I wouldn't rake that kind of risk.

I am quite miserable right now. Going to Seattle for the weekend but I still have to deal with this when I return.

Japanfan

That's really unfortunate, Vash01. Hope you resolve the matter quickly - and that the repair is covered by your warranty. Having to pay for a hotel sucks.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I experienced temperatures that high in Death Valley California, which is said to be one of the hottest places on earth. You just don't go outside in the daytime.

But, at least it cools down a bit after sunset - enough that being outside is pleasant. We were in Phoenix to catch a plane at 5 a.m. in May, and even at that time, it was too hot outside to be comfortable.

It's hot enough for me here in the Pacific Northwest, though it rarely even goes above 30 degrees C. Hot enough that we have AC window units in the office and the bedroom for summer.:scream::scream: Though we don't need to keep them on all the time - it's a lovely evening, 25 C at the moment.

But when do get hot spells, the AC provides welcome relief. And AC was one of my few requirements for my new (used) car. When it's really hot (for the Northwest) I will actually cool the car down for 15 minutes or so before driving. I'm such a weeny! :slinkaway

Death Valley is a desert so it does cool down at night. The Phoenix area is also a desert but there is so much concrete here (big city and very spread out) that it doesn't cool down much even late at night. It's very common to see 100 plus temperatures at 10:30 pm. The homes and other buildings are built with central AC in mind. So if you don't have AC it is a very hazardous situation. That's why I have to stay in a hotel right now.

Last edited:

skatesindreams

Does your local television station have a Consumer Advocacy reporter who could take your case?
They might be able to get a more rapid/better resolution than you can; and call attention to your situation.
I'm sure there are others who have similar problems.

These "Home Warranties" are often scams; or frauds, which don't cover what they claim.

Winnipeg

AC is fantastic if used correctly. The purpose is to make you comfortable not cold. If it is 120 outside, then 80 inside is quite comfortable...........I really feel for people living in areas like India and Pakistan who may not have AC and it gets over 130...........some even die.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
AC is fantastic if used correctly. The purpose is to make you comfortable not cold. If it is 120 outside, then 80 inside is quite comfortable...........I really feel for people living in areas like India and Pakistan who may not have AC and it gets over 130...........some even die.

No it does not go over 130 there or even 120 (I don't know where you got that number from, unless you talking about someone wandering in a desert, which would be a very small part of either country).

People there do have either AC (usually licalized, I think) or evaporative coolers (those who can afford it, of course, which means middle class and higher). Everybody outside of North America and Europe doesn't live in a desert or jungle and there are well educated people there who use modern technology.

People die here in Phoenix also if they don't have ways to cool themselves. Either they dont have AC or they don't drink enough water and become dehydrated. We don't have 120 degrees either. In my 23 years here, I gave seen 120 degrees once, and 119 this year. I do keep my home at 80 but some people may prefer 75-78, which is quite sensible. If they put the AC at 65 we would feel like we are freezing. We don't keep it that low.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Does your local television station have a Consumer Advocacy reporter who could take your case?
They might be able to get a more rapid/better resolution than you can; and call attention to your situation.
I'm sure there are others who have similar problems.

These "Home Warranties" are often scams; or frauds, which don't cover what they claim.

We have one called Three on your side. They have helped many people. They had helped me last year with my problem with Century Link.

I want to hear what the warranty person proposes before I file a complaint.

Susan1

We have one called Three on your side. They have helped many people. They had helped me last year with my problem with Century Link.

I want to hear what the warranty person proposes before I file a complaint.
Sending :cold: thoughts your way!

Japanfan

No it does not go over 130 there or even 120 (I don't know where you got that number from, unless you talking about someone wandering in a desert, which would be a very small part of either country).

I saw a show recently about a desert of Africa which got up to 150. :D The people living there rode camels miles away to work in the salt mines every day - gone from dawn until dusk. They are acclimatized of course, but even so, I can't quite fathom living and working somewhere that hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information