AC hate

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw a show recently about a desert of Africa which got up to 150. :D The people living there rode camels miles away to work in the salt mines every day - gone from dawn until dusk. They are acclimatized of course, but even so, I can't quite fathom living and working somewhere that hot.

India and Pakistan are not in Africa and the people those countries don't ride camels. I was responding to a post that mentioned these countries.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have been reading about the AC coolants since the issue came up with my AC unit. The old refrigerant which was very bad for the environment I think CFC containing) was replaced by R22 (Freon). The R-22 was discontinued in new air conditioning systems because it depletes the ozone layer. It is a hydrochloro fluorocarbon HCFC. The current refrigerant R-410 (Puron) - Hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) does not deplete the ozone layer and is supposed to be more efficient and can withstand more pressure, so it can avoid burnout due to overheating.

I read many comments from users of the new coolant that it does not cool efficiently and they have to set the temperature couple degrees lower. From what I am reading, the R410 needs to be improved upon. People love the R-22 in their old units and want to continue with it if possible but the R-22 is becoming quite expensive.

From environmental perspective everyone should buy a new AC, but given the cost if a new unit how many people can afford it? They are still using their 15-20 years old AC units and who can blame them? Survival in the present can take precedence over survival in the future.

Last edited:

Susan1

I have been reading about the AC coolants since the issue came up with my AC unit. The old refrigerant which was very bad for the environment was replaced by R22 (Fremont). The R-22 was discontinued in new air conditioning systems because it depletes the ozone layer. It is a hydrochloro fluorocarbon HCFC. The current refrigerant R-410A (Puron) - Hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) does not deplete the ozone layer and is supposed to be more efficient and can withstand more pressure, so it can avoid burnout due to overheating.

I read many comments from users of the new coolant that it does not cool efficiently and they have to set the temperature couple degrees lower. From what I am reading, the R410A needs to be improved upon. People live the R-22 in their old units and want to continue with it if possible but the R-22 is becoming quite expensive.

From environmental perspective everyone should buy a new AC, but given the cost if a new unit how many people can afford it? They are still using their 15-20 years old AC units and who can blame them? Survival in the present can take precedence over survival in the future.

Yeah, I was told that I would not be able to get my AC repaired because of the coolant. I don't even remember what year my parents had it replaced - 90's? I didn't live here then. I'd have to get a whole new system, which works through the furnace, which would have to be replaced.............

Relatedish - I had to sell my 13 year old Dodge Daytona when the air conditioning went out because it would have cost more to replace than the car was worth! If I ever won the lottery, I would buy a completely refurbished bright blue 92 Daytona. Sad.

Winnipeg

I respectfully disagree withVash 01

Not that I care but I lived in Palm Springs one summer and it was regularly over 120. If you watch news, you will see the temperatures and other statements I made are quite true. WOrk with several,people from Asia who corroborate the statements. HAve traveled through Asia and can also say same.

No biggie but you are wrong on this one Vash

screech

My biggest issue with A/C is when it blows cold air. I don't have as much issue if the actual temperature is lowered, but it's the air blowing on me.

But I hate air blowing no matter what. In my car, the vents are pointed away from me, and I usually use the defrost (even when the AC is on in the summer) because it adjusts the temperature but doesn't blow on me. I can't use fans for the same reason.

Why can't things just stay room temperature? 21(ish) degrees celsius is nice and cozy in the winter, and often cooler than outside in the summer. Why do we need to go to extremes?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I respectfully disagree withVash 01

Not that I care but I lived in Palm Springs one summer and it was regularly over 120. If you watch news, you will see the temperatures and other statements I made are quite true. WOrk with several,people from Asia who corroborate the statements. HAve traveled through Asia and can also say same.

No biggie but you are wrong on this one Vash

I do watch news and do I know what the temperatures are at different places. It directly affects me every summer, so don't tell me about your travels and what you heard from third parties. Traveling through Asia means nothing. It is a vast continent and if you wanted to go to only hot places that's your choice. Just don't tell me wrong things based on your limited knowledge. I guess you never went to the Himalayas. So you think all of Asia is at 130 degrees and people are dying all over the place . You are as ignorant as many others here.

You are telling me that people from Asia said they have 130 deg temps in India and Pakistan. That is wrong wrong wrong. We are not talking of the deserts. People live towns, cities or villages, not in deserts that have nothing. Yes, people do die of heat stroke wherever there is excessive heat. They die in Phoenix and Texas too. What's your point? Only people in poor countries die but here they don't? Your attitude toward other countries is appalling, as is your attitude toward those of us who have to deal with extreme heat.

This whole AC hate (particularly the title if this thread) is getting to me. I have spent the last 5 nights outside my home (hotels or relatives) for the lack of AC. I would put my life in danger if I had tried to stay in my house. If it doesn't get fixed tomorrow I could be facing financial trouble. I can't afford to stay in hotels indefinitely but I can't afford to risk a heat stroke either.

The ignorance here by you and some others is is shocking. AC is not a luxury in some places like the one I live in. It is a necessity. There have already been improvements in AC to protect the environment. I posted about it earlier. The question is not whether AC should exist. I want to be alive and I need AC for that. This whining about feeling cold in AC is just ridiculous.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My biggest issue with A/C is when it blows cold air. I don't have as much issue if the actual temperature is lowered, but it's the air blowing on me.

But I hate air blowing no matter what. In my car, the vents are pointed away from me, and I usually use the defrost (even when the AC is on in the summer) because it adjusts the temperature but doesn't blow on me. I can't use fans for the same reason.

Why can't things just stay room temperature? 21(ish) degrees celsius is nice and cozy in the winter, and often cooler than outside in the summer. Why do we need to go to extremes?

There are many variables. What's comfortable for one person may not be so for another. What is room temperature? Seventy degree temperature is too cold for some and too hot for others. People are just different. The best we can do is develop some tolerance so we can all survive. Turning the vents away like you do is an easy solution. Wearing a sweater or a jacket is another. Using an AC is yet another. I have used all of them. The only thing that is hard to control is excessive heat. Drinking ice water and splashing myself with cold water all night is not something I want to do for weeks or months,

Winnipeg

To Vash:

Chill man, :rolleyes: it is only a discussion board. If you are that easily offended, maybe boards aren't for you. Alternatively, maybe I should stay away from discussions with the word "hate" in them. Gee whiz. :saint:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I dislike both the heater and the air conditioner. Further, I don't believe in thermostats! I want someone to invent a system that if you say you want it 72degrees, then 72 degree air should blow out! Not Arctic air, or Sahara desert air. I understand why. I just don't like it.

Susan1

I dislike both the heater and the air conditioner. Further, I don't believe in thermostats! I want someone to invent a system that if you say you want it 72degrees, then 72 degree air should blow out! Not Arctic air, or Sahara desert air. I understand why. I just don't like it.

All my life I've been told I should move from Ohio to San Diego - not too hot, not too cold. (Too expensive!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information