ABBA are back!!!!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
IIRC there have already been a couple of "concerts" with avatars of dead performers, and they didn't get good reviews. This may be different with the motion-capture technology being done on live performers. From the brief glimpses on YouTube IMO it looked relatively convincing, but I'm not sure how many people are going to pay $$$$ to watch it "live".
You have no idea then of the popularity of ABBA, particularly in the U.K. There is a reason they chose London to do this. This will sell out so fast.

Desperado

I wasn’t a big fan of the avatar idea at first, particularly due to its “forever young” ABBA concept as if aging is a thing to hide and deny, but seeing more footage convinced me that it’s the perfect band for this, having been out of the limelight so long with their best songs from another era.

Happy to hear the new songs too. Their reunion is the best entertainment news I’ve had in decades. 👍🏻💕

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
You have no idea then of the popularity of ABBA, particularly in the U.K. There is a reason they chose London to do this. This will sell out so fast.

I'm well aware of how popular ABBA are especially in the UK. My point was whether people are willing to pay to watch avatars. The Elvis Presley estate licensed a live show with an Elvis avatar, with backing musicians that had played on some of Elvis' most popular albums. It wasn't a success.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Funnily enough, I’ve just come across Adam Lambert and Queen and to be honest I’d prefer to watch an avatar of Freddie Mercury. :shuffle:

antmanb

The avatar thing totally puts me off and i'm not willing to pay any money to see avatars of Abba. I would totally pay over the odds to see them actually perform live any time. I'll happily buy a stream or DVD of the concert to watch at home but i'm not paying concert prices to not see them in concert 🤷

The avatar concept was brilliant for something like Gorillaz but Abba, not so much :shuffle:

I'm totally here for the new music though, and another massive thumbs up for the Visitors - I bought a cook with the sheet music for that album and it was totally beyond my ability :lol:

PeterG

In the first week or release, here's the chart entries for Abba's two new songs, starting with I Still Have Faith In You:

Sweden #2
Germany #3
Norway #13
UK Singles #14
Ireland #18
Netherlands #21
Australia #39

And Don't Shut Me Down:

Sweden #1
Germany #5
Norway #7
UK Singles #9
Ireland #12
Japan Hot Overseas #16
Netherlands #18
Australia #27
New Zealand 331
Belgium #44

ETA: They would have performed better on the Australian charts if their songs had not been released the same week as Drake's new album. Twenty of Drake's song made the Australian Top 50 chart.

Last edited:

Miezekatze

Benny and Björn were on a German tv show yesterday to promote the new album. They performed a little improvised version of "SOS" as a little gambling debt, with a famous German singer taking up the singing (since she's both the most hated and the most loved German singer, depending on who you asked, I'm sure half of the viewers liked it and the other half considered it a sacriledge, but I thought it was a really fun surprise, since unexpected). Guess that's the closest anyone will get to half of ABBA performing something :lol:

I wouldn't pay for something like the avatars either, actually I think avatars are horrible (that Paul McCartney Music video is sort of creepy IMO), but of course it's understandable that Agnetha and Frida especially have no interest in an actual comeback. I'm sure the show will still sell really well though.

I want to visit the ABBA museum in Stockholm one day though.

text_skate

Her music is not as bad anymore as in 2018 :lol:
Of course! I know her name.
Didn't know the part of being loved/hated. I don't know anyone who is talking about her, neither good or bad. Probably reading the wrong newspapers, too :rolleyes:
Apperently this is a hell-no-I'm-living-in-a-bubble-moment (as I'm living in the capital of said nation). o_O

Desperado

With the Christmas song, I would’ve loved for them to remake their Happy New Year (a favourite of mine).

“What lies waiting down the line
In the end of eighty-nine...” “twenty-nine”? Or any rhyming lyric really. :D

Sylvia

TBD
“ABBA Voyage” premiered on Friday night in London:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information