2021 Tuktamysheva, Chen, Hendrickx

Olympics:

2014 Sotnikova, Kim, Kostner

2018 Osmond, Miyahara, Kostner

2022 Sakamoto, Higuchi, Young

Observations:

From 2018 onward, Japanese women have won 5 of 9 worlds medals

US women have fallen behind the rest of Europe and Asia, not solely Russia

From 2018 on, Japanese women have won 4 of 6 Olympic medals.

I don’t know if (some) Japanese coaches have abusive coaching methods. But at least their skaters have careers of more than 2 years and are actual women. They are the ones the US women and others need to chase.

jiejie

I don’t know if (some) Japanese coaches have abusive coaching methods. But at least their skaters have careers of more than 2 years and are actual women. They are the ones the US women and others need to chase.
Agree. If I was an elite-aspiring young lady skater in the USA, say around age 10 or so, I'd be learning Japanese language and heading over to Coach Kagayama around age 14! 😁

soogar

Agree. If I was an elite-aspiring young lady skater in the USA, say around age 10 or so, I'd be learning Japanese language and heading over to Coach Kagayama around age 14! 😁
I thought the Japanese were not keen on sharing their secrets. I believe Lucinda Ruh trained there and she was a great spinner but she didn’t quite have the skating skills of the Japanese skaters.

Spun Silver

I thought the Japanese were not keen on sharing their secrets. I believe Lucinda Ruh trained there and she was a great spinner but she didn’t quite have the skating skills of the Japanese skaters.
Mie Hamada has been very involved in Vincent's training.

Vagabond

Don't want to spoil your fun but if you are imagining away Eteri's skaters then you probably should imagine their replacement with other Russian women and their possible contribution to the medal equation.
Think about what would have happened if the IOC had banned Russia for state-sponsored doping at the 2014.

Skate Talker

Don't get me wrong - I am all for Olympic Champion Kaetlyn Osmond. In fact if it were up to me she would have the gold medal with or without Eteri skaters. I much preferred her powerful jumps & mature presentation.

The conversation is obviously different though if we imagine an Olympic and/or World ban on Russian athletes.

canbelto

Japanese coaches are also notoriously harsh. Discipline in Japan in general is extremely harsh.

Icetalavista

I included only Eteri skaters in my ‘correction’. Maria Sotskova wasn’t high enough to ‘medal’, for example. But it’s a good question- which other Russians missed out on competing at all?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I included only Eteri skaters in my ‘correction’. Maria Sotskova wasn’t high enough to ‘medal’, for example. But it’s a good question- which other Russians missed out on competing at all?
Look at the skaters that didn't make it out of Russian Nationals in each of those years and slot them in where you think they should go.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Don't want to spoil your fun but if you are imagining away Eteri's skaters then you probably should imagine their replacement with other Russian women and their possible contribution to the medal equation.
Since the post was from 2014 on, the next age-eligible non Tutberidze skaters from Russian Nationals* were:

2014-Leonova, Radionova (first senior season), Gosviani (in place of Lipnitskaia for Worlds and Olympics)
2015-N/A, because the two competitors at Worlds were non-Tutberidze skaters, Tuktamysheva and Radionova
2016-Sotskova (would likely have made her senior debut in 2015-16 instead of 2016-17), Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva (in place of Medvedeva)
2017-Radionova, Konstantinova, Tuktamysheva (in place of Medvedeva)
2018-Gubanova (would likely have made her senior debut in 2017-18 instead of 2018-19), Tuktamysheva, Sakhanovich (in place of Zagitova [Worlds and Olympics] and Medvedeva [Olympics])
2019-Konstantinova, Tarusina, Gubanova (in place of Zagitova and Medvedeva.)
2020-cancelled
2021-Nugmamova, other skaters who don't have ISU bios or Wikipedia pages that I can find (in place of Schherbakova and Trusova)

Tuktamysheva had good GP seasons in 2015-16 and 2016-17, but no GPF appearances. She had a very strong Fall, with a bronze at GPF, but had to miss Russian Nationals, although she place 2nd at Russia Cup. Konstantinova was 4th at 2019 Euros, but with the kind of score that wouldn't have broken Top 10 at 2019 Worlds.

I don't see anyone else on that list who would have been competitive (at the time) with the "podiums without Tutberidze skaters."

*I know that they don't just choose teams by Russian Nationals, but I don't think it would matter, since Tutberidze skaters dominated so much, before and after they became age-eligible for seniors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information