A performance from the past it just gives you chills. Please post one

annie720

I always enjoy Charlie Tickner's last LP at Worlds. For some reason, I always feel like I can tell he really loves skating. I also like that it is his proverbial "swan song" and he is in phenomenal physical shape and stayed in skating to a rather late age for his time.

Charlie and his beautiful delayed axel, as well as other “simple” moves that he made so special, and awesome choreography. Always a fan.:love:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I always enjoy Charlie Tickner's last LP at Worlds. For some reason, I always feel like I can tell he really loves skating. I also like that it is his proverbial "swan song" and he is in phenomenal physical shape and stayed in skating to a rather late age for his time.

That was fantastic and I really miss figure skating of these days. I never even heard of him before and he’s from 1980. That free programs seem like it was 10 minutes long, how long were they back then five minutes?

I loved it

bardtoob

If we are going to go there, then I can't tell if I like this performance from Gary Beacom

or this performance

better.

Vagabond

That was fantastic and I really miss figure skating of these days. I never even heard of him before and he’s from 1980. That free programs seem like it was 10 minutes long, how long were they back then five minutes?
Men's Free Skating programs were five minutes back then. The length allowed Tickner to put in stuff that you never or almost never see in competition any more.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Men's Free Skating programs were five minutes back then. The length allowed Tickner to put in stuff that you never or almost never see in competition any more.

Can we please return to those days and more with the innovation. Just looking at the junior Grand Prix and the Russian woman who scored over 150 I know she had quad after quad probably. I’d rather see a five minute program of skating and less redundant jumping

Vagabond

Can we please return to those days and more with the innovation. Just looking at the junior Grand Prix and the Russian woman who scored over 150 I know she had quad after quad probably. I’d rather see a five minute program of skating and less redundant jumping
Amen. I miss serpentine step sequences, combinations of four or more walleys and other jumps, long spirals of the sort that Mark Mitchell and Michelle Kwan used to do, John Misha Petkevich's open axel flying sit spin, and spins in the middle of circular step sequences, the way Charles Tickner used to do them. :(

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Amen. I miss serpentine step sequences, combinations of four or more walleys and other jumps, long spirals of the sort that Mark Mitchell and Michelle Kwan used to do, John Misha Petkevich's open axel flying sit spin, and spins in the middle of circular step sequences, the way Charles Tickner used to do them. :(

Yay. How can they not return to these days? I mean I haven’t even watched the winner of the junior Grand Prix Poland in ladies free skate because I know it’s going to be a jump mad dash to another jump mad dash to another jump hands above the head on all of them. I’ve seen it, I’ve done it. I’m getting bored...

Those days of skating that we’ve been posting are not boring at all

Japanfan

Oh I would love to see some skaters do spins like Kwan and Cohen - although I did hate how commentators gushed endlessly over the spirals.

At the same time, I think CoP has its own strengths. I can't say I miss the days of the ladies spiral sequence, when the ladies did all the same three spirals.

In time there may be less of an emphasis on jumps than there are today - things change in FS. It won't look the same in 25 years as it does today.

VGThuy

This has been mentioned and posted like five times already but Shen/Zhao’s 2003 Worlds LP. Standing ovation more than 30 seconds before the end of the program says it all. IMO, it’s still THE competitive skating performance of the first quarter of the 21st century, a perfect marriage of everything skating should be, and I don’t say that lightly.:

Rhumba d’Amour

This has been mentioned and posted like five times already but Shen/Zhao’s 2003 Worlds LP. Standing ovation more than 30 seconds before the end of the program says it all. IMO, it’s still THE competitive skating performance of the first quarter of the 21st century, a perfect marriage of everything skating should be, and I don’t say that lightly.:

I grant you the video quality is better in the link you’ve posted, VGThuy, but here is an alternate version with the skate only, not spoiled by the commentary of announcers who just will. not. shut. up. :)

Another favorite—and I’m surprised no one has mentioned this yet—but here, IMHO, is the greatest ice dance performance of all time. Watch it through to the end—the post-skate reactions are priceless!

Panja

Two short programmes I really love, both dating from 2001-2002 season. I chose the WC versions.

and

Vagabond

Babilonia & Gardner 1979 Worlds FS

I haven't watched this one in ages. I have to put what was to happen the following year at Lake Placid out of my mind and focus on their actual skate. How young they were! Just 18 and 20, respectively.

Pairs used to do a five-minute Free Skating too. It gave B & G the time to stick in their famous side-by-side Arabians holding hands and side-by-side Ina Bauers as well. :swoon:

Last edited:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Some of my favorites have already been posted.
Chen Lu 1996 Worlds LP
M&D 1994 Olympics LP

I'll also add Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze's Lady Caliph from 2002 :swoon:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information