96% Of Adults Can't Pass This Basic 3rd Grade Test. Can You?

Susan1

This was on facebook. There are 80 questions. I got tired after about 30. ha ha I got a 91%. I had to guess at some! I think some would only be 3rd grade questions if you had just learned them in class. Like, which is longer, I-90 or I-94. I don't even know where they are.
https://www.topixoffbeat.com/quiz/18464
no cheating! :)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Oh my......that took a while. 82%. (One I got wrong - it was geologist or botanist - and I could not tell what the picture was). I can't imagine that some of these questions are learned by third grade. I will do it with my grandson who is in 3rd grade. It will be fun.....In fact, maybe I can get his mom and dad to take it too. We will have a contest!

Lorac

99% - I got one wrong - the number of oceans - which I knew was wrong as soon as I hit the button!!! I did guess a few though!!!

Japanfan

90%. I too had to guess, but some of the guesses were easy. I agree some of the questions would be about information that students had recently learned.

I guessed at I-90, because I've heard of it or think I have, haven't heard of I-94.

katmari

95% ... I had to guess on a few and the others I got wrong were silly errors that I knew as soon as I answered.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
A few silly errors because I didn't read them correctly. But got a 93%.

I got the answer right, but is Russia a European country?

easilydistracte

Geezette
100%. (I think some of these questions were used in other online tests I've taken before, though.) The pictures provided a lot of clues to the correct answers (for me, anyway).

mjb52

The question about the Russo-Japanese War seemed... a little harder than the rest? I got it right but would you really normally expect a 3rd grader to know that? That seems like something you could easily make it quite some time without learning even as an educated person, depending on how your classes were distributed in high school/college.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I got the answer right, but is Russia a European country?

Yes and no. It's considered both part of Europe and part of Asia. Most of the land mass is Asian, but the political center is European.

100%. (I think some of these questions were used in other online tests I've taken before, though.) The pictures provided a lot of clues to the correct answers (for me, anyway).

Yeah, I thought it was very easy. For one thing, the wrong answers were all really wrong; if I didn't know the right answer, I always knew the wrong one.

The question about the Russo-Japanese War seemed... a little harder than the rest? I got it right but would you really normally expect a 3rd grader to know that? That seems like something you could easily make it quite some time without learning even as an educated person, depending on how your classes were distributed in high school/college.

First I had ever heard of it.

Susan1

99% - I got one wrong - the number of oceans - which I knew was wrong as soon as I hit the button!!! I did guess a few though!!!
Me too!:duh: I think I still had 7 continents in my head.
but some of the guesses were easy.
Yeah, when they only give you two possibilities instead of similar multiple choices. And I still guessed some wrong!
The question about the Russo-Japanese War seemed
Got that one wrong.
that took a while.
I made it through about 30 questions on a couple other quizzes before I got sick of answering. Medical terms and sitcom families and something else. Geez. I'd rather answer 20 of something. It's not the SATs! At least you didn't have to put in personal information like some of the quizzes friends do on FB and I click on them and then don't want to participate.

annie720

98% . I think I misunderstood the longitude/latitude question. And I forgot what the other was.

moebius

Got a 96%. I guessed on quite a few and got them right because of a 50-50 chance. There is no way that 3rd graders would know some of the questions, unless education has beefed up in the last 40 years.

Susan1

I was thinking last night that it would make a good Jeopardy question (for the adults).

gkelly

Me too!:duh: I think I still had 7 continents in my head.

Ditto.

So what constitutes "passing" on this test? Something like 70%?

Since it's a very Americentric test, I would guess that a majority of American adults could pass that score. But worldwide, they might be correct that 96% of all adults could not.

Susan1

Ditto.

So what constitutes "passing" on this test? Something like 70%?

Since it's a very Americentric test, I would guess that a majority of American adults could pass that score. But worldwide, they might be correct that 96% of all adults could not.
Who knows. There were comments from people with 89% that got an A+. A+ should be 100. Even if you go by the old system of 10s, that would be a B+. "Passing" with a 70% - D - would not be anything to be proud of.
Internet quiz headlines always say something about how many people don't get all the answers right. Something with 80 questions, like I said, I was getting tired of answering. And I probably got sloppy - just pick one and get it over with and miss something.
I've never been able to remember which is longitude and which is latitude! And I guessed the wrong one. I just looked up the mnemonic (too late) "Lat is Fat" (latitude goes around the equatorial belt). Uh, don't read that if you haven't taken the test yet. ha ha

It WAS just for fun though!

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
96%, missed the long division and two of the planet questions. The only reason I knew I-90 over I-94 is because the 0s go East to West and other end numbers go North to South. Obviously going across the country East to West would be longer. Now, if it would have said I-90 or I-80 I would have been stumped.

ballettmaus

96%, missed the long division and two of the planet questions. The only reason I knew I-90 over I-94 is because the 0s go East to West and other end numbers go North to South. Obviously going across the country East to West would be longer. Now, if it would have said I-90 or I-80 I would have been stumped.

I thought even numbers go East to West and odd numbers go North to South? (Why does a 3rd grader or anyone in school, really, need to know which one is longer though?)

I got an 86%. One question I knew but didn't read properly, a couple I didn't know - like the longitude or latitude one. Never could keep them straight and even less so in English. And I don't think we ever learned about more than three oceans: Indian, Pacific and Atlantic. I wonder if that has changed by now. When I was in elementary school we also still learned that there were five continents, while I was in high school, that was changing to seven.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I thought even numbers go East to West and odd numbers go North to South? (Why does a 3rd grader or anyone in school, really, need to know which one is longer though?)

I got an 86%. One question I knew but didn't read properly, a couple I didn't know - like the longitude or latitude one. Never could keep them straight and even less so in English. And I don't think we ever learned about more than three oceans: Indian, Pacific and Atlantic. I wonder if that has changed by now. When I was in elementary school we also still learned that there were five continents, while I was in high school, that was changing to seven.
The odd and even numbers may be right. I knew 90 was definitely E to W as all the zeros. I was out of patience by the long division and wasn’t about to take the time to figure out in my head, that’s what calculators are for.

Edit: Googled and the odd and even numbers is right, although some don’t go perfectly that direction all the way. Now for a funny story: Took a college internet class in the early 90s and thought it was the dumbest thing. Ranted constantly that I could find answers quicker in the library (where I worked). Jokes on me, although that dial-up back then was painful.

Last edited:

Susan1

Yes to both. I-75 goes north to south, I-70 goes east to west (they crisscross in Dayton, so that is the only reason I know that) Wait - I-71 goes from Cincinnati to Columbus - northeast, but more north than east. I quit!
And I was thinking that some of those questions would have been on tests right after they studied them or something, not like an end of year 3rd grade proficiency test. Who would remember some of those things? Or on an 8th grade proficiency test (even in a Catholic school ha ha).

edited - you know I had to look this stuff up -
"Interstate Route Numbering. ... Major Interstate routes are designated by one- or two-digit numbers. Routes with odd numbers run north and south, while even numbered run east and west. For north-south routes, the lowest numbers begin in the west, while the lowest numbered east-west routes are in the south"
Which doesn't explain I-71.
I hope nobody is cheating off of this!

Both east to west - I-94 is Montana to Detroit, Michigan and up a little into Canada and I-90 goes from Boston to Seattle (wow), so I-90 would be the longest. Another good Jeopardy question that you would only know if you actually knew it (if you know what I mean). ha ha (I have a fever and a blinding headache, so I'm getting slap happy.)

Last edited:

Susan1

Both east to west - I-94 is Montana to Detroit, Michigan and up a little into Canada and I-90 goes from Boston to Seattle (wow), so I-90 would be the longest. Another good Jeopardy question that you would only know if you actually knew it (if you know what I mean). ha ha (I have a fever and a blinding headache, so I'm getting slap happy.)
O.k. - I had to do the dishes before I can put on my chenille robe and get under a blanket (rainy and windy) and watch Jeopardy, and I figured out how it can be a 3rd grade question. Take what I looked up as the first half of the "word problem" (remember those?), which was not part of our quiz.
I-94 goes from wherever (I forget), Montana to Detroit, Michigan and I-90 goes from Boston, Massachusetts to Seattle, Washington.
Second part of question - Which one is longer? ha :)

PDilemma

98%

Having taught a lot of third grade this past year, including seven straight weeks in the fall, as well as teaching 4-5 quite often, I can tell you that most of those are not third grade questions. A lot of the math is too difficult and more 4th or 5th grade stuff (dividing three digit numbers...not third grade!). Most of the science is fifth grade stuff. And the history is a mix. Third graders would probably get the MLK question right and that's about it. Most high schoolers aren't going to have learned about the Russo-Japanese War.

Most of the grammar is third grade level or even second. But most of the spelling is 5th or 6th grade. The very few lit questions are more middle school level (haiku and C.S. Lewis).

Now that doesn't mean that you don't know a third grader who has read C.S. Lewis, for one example. But if it is taught in school, it's usually around 6th grade not 3rd grade. Most of the books are around 5th grade reading level (4.9 to 5.7). Calling this a basic third grade test, though is not very accurate.

KatieC

I got 91%, the ones I got wrong were all science related, which makes sense, considering I dropped science after grade 9. I didn't know about C.S. Lewis until grade 8, when the teacher decided to read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and told us it would likely be the last time anyone would read out loud to us. She was right.

PDilemma

O.k. - I had to do the dishes before I can put on my chenille robe and get under a blanket (rainy and windy) and watch Jeopardy, and I figured out how it can be a 3rd grade question. Take what I looked up as the first half of the "word problem" (remember those?), which was not part of our quiz.
I-94 goes from wherever (I forget), Montana to Detroit, Michigan and I-90 goes from Boston, Massachusetts to Seattle, Washington.
Second part of question - Which one is longer? ha :)

Third grade starts basic map skills. So I could see that question being a third grade one if it was accompanied by a map and kids had to find the labels and follow the roads on a map to answer it. But by itself? I'm not sure that's going to come up in any grade as a test question. Maybe as trivia if a HS American history class actually makes it to the period to discuss the building of the interstate system. Other than that...nope.

Susan1

Third grade starts basic map skills. So I could see that question being a third grade one if it was accompanied by a map and kids had to find the labels and follow the roads on a map to answer it. But by itself? I'm not sure that's going to come up in any grade as a test question. Maybe as trivia if a HS American history class actually makes it to the period to discuss the building of the interstate system. Other than that...nope.
Yeah I was thinking a geography lesson if they just learned where the cities/states are located. They could see that I-94 goes from coast to coast and I-90 only goes from Billings (I had to look it up again) Montana to Detroit, Michigan. Asking which one was longer out of nowhere doesn't make sense unless you know the start and end points.

So a lot of this quiz really doesn't have anything to do with third grade at all. I'm sure we didn't learn Roman numerals in third grade. We were still learning what to do with American ones. ha ha

Erin

Banned Member
I guessed at I-90, because I've heard of it or think I have, haven't heard of I-94.

I-94 goes from Billings, Montana through to Michigan, hitting Minneapolis/St. Paul and Chicago on the way. I frequently complain about the traffic on it.

First I had ever heard of it.

Yeah, that one also struck me as not a third grade level question. I had only heard of it because of a book I read on the causes of WWI a few years ago. Definitely not something I would have known at that age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information