2024 US Nats Pairs FS - Chaos in Columbus

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I'd be annoyed if Peacock started late and we missed a skater, like in the women's LP. But starting late because the event starts late, I'm OK with. I'd rather have "Coverage Starting Shortly" than listen to an interview I can't clearly hear because the feedback on the mike is so high while staring at empty ice.

What I do wish is there was consistency on what start times mean--does start time mean "first skater on the ice" or "introductions."? We've seen both, often in the same competition, whether it was the Grand Prix, Euros, Nationals, whatever. I'm not sure that's a Peacock problem or an ISU/USFS problem or the host rink problem, but I tend to think it's the host rink. If the host rink starts early/late, there's f-all Peacock can do about it, and I'll bet while not the main reason, it's A reason the NBC broadcast starts later.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
If the host rink starts early/late, there's f-all Peacock can do about it,
At most comps I have been to you do get a heads up if there is a time change, maybe just a few hours notice. They could update the app with the changed time but obviously they don’t have anyone doing much with FS.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I don't think Saturday is considered the prime spot anymore. I mean, if it wasn't skating, would any of us be at home casually watching TV? I wouldn't. I think Saturday is the throw-away day now when viewership of network TV is the lowest. The prime spot is Sunday, which the men got, which makes sense. It's the one going against football playoffs because someone who knows something about skating might watch men's over playoffs. No one in their right mind would watch it over pairs if you're a fan of both sports.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The fun of pairs at US Nationals is that most years, anyone who competes can say they are top 10 finishers no matter what happens.
So, about 10 years ago, we had a girl from Portland who was in my nieces' youth group and she also skated. I mean, she had costumes and took some of the tests (pre-juv MITF, etc) and completely fronted like she had legitimate Olympic aspirations. One time, she told her local club advisers that she had to miss a state retreat because she was going to a figure skating competition in Belize (which is totally hilarious now given that the Kween is our Ambassador ti Belize). I snorted and about peed myself laughing when another girl's parent told me that and replied, through my laughter, "there aren't even any ice rinks in Belize!!!"

Someday, I want to burst someone's bubble when they claim they were Top 20 in pairs at US Nats the same way I burst a bunch of fellow advisers' bubbles about that girl's actual chances of ever making the Olympics. ;)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Are we going with @Rukia successfully manifesting now? I thought we were working on the theory that @Matryeshka cursed the whole thing.
Oh, it was entirely Matry. We had 3 clean skates of the teams in the top 9 - FlorDes whom she tried to curse by griping about WSS, PateBye for being too wholesome to bear, and CarPon because she allowed herself to be sucked into the Ice Dance Uber Matrix.

peibeck

Simply looking
Actually they probably delayed the fluff because there were two withdrawals after the final schedule was set.

At least listening to the fluff isn't giving me heart palpitations and the cold sweats of terror. :lol:

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Oh, it was entirely Matry. We had 3 clean skates of the teams in the top 9 - FlorDes whom she tried to curse by griping about WSS, PateBye for being too wholesome to bear, and CarPon because she allowed herself to be sucked into the Ice Dance Uber Matrix.
Ah, but I like Flor/Des. And they moved up. So HAH. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Balzy and Blondie for the win!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information