2024 ISU Congress Agenda

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I really, really wish the ISU folks would learn how to write regulations with clarity.

Funny you mention that, because the first proposal in the document is to overhaul the whole thing:

Resolution to empower the ISU Council to undertake preparation of a new Constitutional framework of the ISU
and to submit it for discussion and adoption by an Extraordinary ISU Congress in 2025.

Reason: The constitutional framework of the ISU dates back to 1892 and consists of the ISU Constitution and
General Regulations. Since 1892, the ISU Constitution and General Regulations have been amended 58 times
to address issues on a piecemeal basis, which has led to overloading the Constitution and General Regulations
with detailed provisions, thereby destroying its shape as the constitutional framework of the basic governance
of an association organized under Swiss law. For example, as it exists today, the ISU Constitution and General
Regulations include many detailed sport rules and operations rules which are unrelated to the basic
governance framework of the ISU and are more appropriately addressed in other parts of the ISU Statutes,
policies, and guidelines.

The main objectives of the modernization of the Constitution and General Regulations will be:

1) Enhanced Clarity and Simplicity.
The current Constitution is difficult to read and is unnecessarily long. Examples of how it will be
modernized include (a) grouping all rules governing a specific topic under the same Article or rules
section; and (b) moving the sport-related rules from the General Regulations and incorporating
them, as appropriate, into a general rules section for each of the Special Regulations and
Technical Rules for Short Track Speed Skating, Speed Skating, Single & Pair and Ice Dance, and
Synchronized Skating.

2) Improved Consistency.
The Constitution and General Regulations have internal inconsistencies in terminology and
substantive provisions. The modernization will ensure consistency throughout the provisions of the
Constitution in both the substance of the rules and the terminology used.

3) Increased Agility.
Excessive detail in the current Constitution and General Regulations hinders the ISU’s ability to
adapt sufficiently quickly to a rapidly changing environment. For example, Article 38, paragraph 4
of the Constitution, which details specific job titles (ISU Event Managers/ISU Assistant Event
Managers) and responsibilities of certain Secretariat staff positions, limits the ISU’s ability to have
a Secretariat staff structure that meets the needs of the ISU. The modernization of the Constitution
will allow for swifter adjustments to be made when needed.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't think a major overhaul of the system in the middle of an Olympic cycle is the best idea. If anything, this should've been the big project they worked on in 2020 when they had a lot of down time, minimal fall competitions, and a condensed ISU Championships in 2021. They could've easily reworked the ISU World Standings, too. And what did we get? The birth of the 'q' maybe?

I've said it for who knows how many years now, but removing the step sequence from the singles' free skates would solve so many problems. Most of the skaters are just repeating what they've done in the short more or less, and the extra 30-45 seconds leads to so many more possibilities for choreography 'moments'.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I've said it for who knows how many years now, but removing the step sequence from the singles' free skates would solve so many problems. Most of the skaters are just repeating what they've done in the short more or less, and the extra 30-45 seconds leads to so many more possibilities for choreography 'moments'.
That's an interesting thought that I wouldn't be opposed to, TBH.

I feel the same way, to some extent, with Pairs - I'd be in favor of removing the solo SBS jumping pass in the FS since we already have it in the SP and leave just the SBS jump combo for the FS which would also free up more time in the FS for more interesting pairs elements. Who doesn't love a good pairs spiral or spread eagle sequence at a high point in the music?

Andrea82

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I don't think a major overhaul of the system in the middle of an Olympic cycle is the best idea. If anything, this should've been the big project they worked on in 2020 when they had a lot of down time, minimal fall competitions, and a condensed ISU Championships in 2021. They could've easily reworked the ISU World Standings, too. And what did we get? The birth of the 'q' maybe?

I have little faith that removing the steps will cause a majority of skaters to include choreography is other parts of the program. The step sequence is the only part of the program a lot of skaters seem to even hit an edge. The chore seq has just turned into a lot of meh ina’s that for some reason people clap for…

gkelly

I have little faith that removing the steps will cause a majority of skaters to include choreography is other parts of the program. The step sequence is the only part of the program a lot of skaters seem to even hit an edge. The chore seq has just turned into a lot of meh ina’s that for some reason people clap for…
Junior free skate used to have a step sequence (and no choreo sequence).

Since 2 years ago, it has a choreographic sequence and no step sequence.

Admittedly, juniors are not seniors. But if you want to get some sense of the possible effect of removing the leveled step sequence, try comparing junior free skates from last season and 2022 or earlier.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Junior free skate used to have a step sequence (and no choreo sequence).

Since 2 years ago, it has a choreographic sequence and no step sequence.

Admittedly, juniors are not seniors. But if you want to get some sense of the possible effect of removing the leveled step sequence, try comparing junior free skates from last season and 2022 or earlier.
I'm confused. Is that the suggestion that Tony is making to add another chore seq because what he wrote was not that. It is hard to comparing different things looking at the junior programs but I did take a look. I am watching jr ladies programs from 2021 and 2023. To me they look almost exactly the same but the steps sequence was just replaced by some spiral and squats while the rest of the program didn't become something different. The top skaters already were having transitions and choreographic moments in 2021. I don't think you should remove an element because skaters/choreographers are lazy. How about the judges actually just do their job and judge.

Sylvia

TBD
59th Ordinary ISU Congress: Charting the roadmap to ISU Vision 2030 (May 27 press release): https://isu.org/isu-news/news/145-n...e-roadmap-to-isu-vision-2030?templateParam=15
Congress Program
The full Congress agenda and detailed proposals are available in the ISU Communication 2629 [126 pages]. Hereafter is a summary of the program:
June 8-9: Council Meetings & Technical Committee Meetings
June 10: Opening of the Congress / Branches Workshops
June 11-13: Full Congress / Figure Skating and Speed Skating Branch Sessions
June 14: Full Congress and Closing Session

WHERE TO WATCH
The 59th Ordinary ISU Congress will be available as a live stream on the Skating ISU YouTube Channel. Further details will be provided in due course.

ETA link to last year's thread:

Last edited:

Karen-W

I put together a Word doc to help me follow along with the ISU Congress during each session - I'll be working so I won't be able to pay super-close attention during some of the sessions and wanted to know during which sessions I should try to pay closer attention.

Today is a lot of housekeeping, roll call, testing the electronic voting system (if 2022 is any indication to go by it will be tedious and you'll wonder how difficult this is to master). This evening should be interesting with the FS Branch discussing Technical Rule Amendments.

Tomorrow (probably in the afternoon) is when things will get going with Constitution and General Regulations amendment proposals. That continues on Wednesday morning if they don't slog through it all tomorrow. Wednesday morning/all day and Thursday all day is when the FS Branch will meet and go over all of the Special Regulations Amendments, proposed Tech Rule changes, etc.

It all wraps up on Friday morning with final votes on any motions that were referred to the FS and SS branches respectively.

Mon morning – A1-A13 – opening, verification of reps, agenda approval, Pres report, Finance report, audit report, ISU Vision 2030

Mon afternoon – A13-A14 – ISU Vision 2030, budget

Mon evening – A12 (FS Branch Tech Rule Amendments – 227 – PCS definitions; 230 – FS/FD draw reverse order of SP/RD standings; pg 103)

Tue all day – A15-A21 – Dev Commission report, Disciplinary report, Legal report, continuing Communications validity, Drafting Matters motions, Constitution Amendments (21 – USFS create Pairs Tech Cmte) & Motions labeled as DRAFTING MATTERS have been identified: 46, Gen Regulations Amendments – (45 – FS & Synchro age limits; 47 – USFS Sr pairs women age 16; 48-49 – CAN FS Jr age limits; 50 – CAN FS country switch release; 51 – AUT FS synchro 50% citizenship)

Wed morning – A21 - Gen Regulations Amendments – (45 – FS & Synchro age limits; 47 – USFS Sr pairs women age 16; 48-49 – CAN FS Jr age limits; 50 – CAN FS country switch release; 51 – AUT FS synchro 50% citizenship)

Wed morning – FS Branch C1-C14 – opening, verification of reps, agenda approval, VP report, Special Regulations Amendments (176 – CAN music rotation; 177 – JPN event end by 11pm; 181 – GER music tempo violation; 182 – NED falls 50% deduction; 183 – USFS dance lifts video timer; 185 – ISU Champs entries 28 days prior), Motions labeled as DRAFTING MATTERS have been identified: 184, 187, 189, 192, 195, 196, 198, 215 & 274, Urgent Matters – 17-20, Proposed Technical Rule changes, Tech Committees status reports

Wed afternoon – FS Branch C1-C14 - opening, verification of reps, agenda approval, VP report, Special Regulations Amendments (176 – CAN music rotation; 177 – JPN event end by 11pm; 181 – GER music tempo violation; 182 – NED falls 50% deduction; 183 – USFS dance lifts video timer; 185 – ISU Champs entries 28 days prior), Motions labeled as DRAFTING MATTERS have been identified: 184, 187, 189, 192, 195, 196, 198, 215 & 274, Urgent Matters – 17-20, Proposed Technical Rule changes, Tech Committees status reports

Thu all day – FS Branch C1-C14 - opening, verification of reps, agenda approval, VP report, Special Regulations Amendments (176 – CAN music rotation; 177 – JPN event end by 11pm; 181 – GER music tempo violation; 182 – NED falls 50% deduction; 183 – USFS dance lifts video timer; 185 – ISU Champs entries 28 days prior), Motions labeled as DRAFTING MATTERS have been identified: 184, 187, 189, 192, 195, 196, 198, 215 & 274, Urgent Matters – 17-20, Proposed Technical Rule changes, Tech Committees status reports

Fri morning – D22-D28 – Motions referred to SS & FS branches, ISU 4-yr plan status report, election of Honorary Members

Last edited:

Karen-W

If I cared about Speed Skating, I might be interested in what has the Austria Speed rep so perturbed with the Council, lol.

ice coverage

Isn't he there as member of the ISU Single and Pairs Technical Committee?

I think that (meaning technical committee) is why he is in the front row?
I believe the small placard in front of him says, "CHN Figure," which is why I mentioned it.

Sorry, I don't recognize the blonde woman to his left.
To her left is a small placard that says, "Single & Pair Skating Technical Committee."
And then to her left is Emilie Billow; I think to her left is Yukiko Okabe, with another "Single & Pair ..." placard in front of her.

ETA:​
My original comment was just an idle observation -- I was not trying to diminish Cong Han.​

Last edited:

Karen-W

Kim is presenting Vision 2030 and discussing some of the broadcasting stats from Worlds - only 2.4% of the 1.6m NBC viewers who watched Ilia win Worlds live are 18-34. Yikes.

On My Own

Kim is presenting Vision 2030 and discussing some of the broadcasting stats from Worlds - only 2.4% of the 1.6m NBC viewers who watched Ilia win Worlds live are 18-34. Yikes.
Which NBC viewing options did he take into account? Does it include online streaming, as I recall was happening?

Andrea82

I think that is why he is in the front row?
I believe the small placard in front of him says, "CHN Figure," which is why I mentioned it.

Sorry, I don't recognize the blonde woman to his left.
To her left is a small placard that says, "Single & Pair Skating Technical Committee."
And then to her left is Emilie Billow.
I think is is Susan Lynch.
The raw starts with Bianchetti, then Laaksonen, Okabe, Billow, Lynch and Han.

On My Own

He didn't specify as far as I'm aware.
Well, if it's both, I'm still not shocked. Skating isn't attractive to this age group at all, where I'm currently included. We have much more attractive entertainment options online, and skating just plain doesn't connect in the same way. And the ticket prices are waaaaaay too steep to really be able to attract too many IRL, so one can't really say "well, tickets cost 50 bucks, so the rink filled up, 20% of those became fans, who can then try to tune in at home".

The tiktok/instagram nonsense is a complete misfire too.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
… broadcasting stats from Worlds - only 2.4% of the 1.6m NBC viewers who watched Ilia win Worlds live are 18-34. Yikes.

So they’re keeping that HUGE majority happy by pushing Billie Idol tunes and staging “Dance Parties”?

How about pushing music that the rest of humanity - those of us above age 34 - likes, for a change? At least try to keep mature audiences happy.

The Idol teeny-tween experiment bombed. 💣 Now make us happy with classical music, folk tunes, waltzes and polkas. Go back to what worked 50 years ago.

litenkyckling

Well, if it's both, I'm still not shocked. Skating isn't attractive to this age group at all, where I'm currently included. We have much more attractive entertainment options online, and skating just plain doesn't connect in the same way. And the ticket prices are waaaaaay too steep to really be able to attract too many IRL, so one can't really say "well, tickets cost 50 bucks, so the rink filled up, 20% of those became fans, who can then try to tune in at home".

The tiktok/instagram nonsense is a complete misfire too.
Also in this age group 🙋‍♀️

I agree - ticket prices are prohibitive for me - particularly because the venues are not always easy to get to for me in a cost/time effective way.

For me I think it's missing that audience/skater connection and analysis. The only other sport that I actively watch is F1 and my partner watches football so these are the only things I can compare with - but there is just so much engagement and analysis there.

Air the post-skate interviews in the media zone! Instead of introductions why not videos of the skaters introducing themselves? Would love an ice desk style at the end of each group/resurface with some in depth analysis with experts - explain to me with slow-mo WHY a skater got that score and compare it with another skater/team who did it better. At the end of each day of competition (even just for Championships) - why not hire someone to do a Ted Kravitz Notebook style vlog with background information, stats etc. I just think this could be taken more seriously as a sport if it was treated like one.

litenkyckling

So they’re keeping that HUGE majority happy by pushing Billie Idol tunes and staging “Dance Parties”?

How about pushing music that the rest of humanity - those of us above age 34 - likes, for a change? At least try to keep mature audiences happy.

The Idol teeny-tween experiment bombed. 💣 Now make us happy with classical music, folk tunes, waltzes and polkas. Go back to what worked 50 years ago.
Under 34 here and think that the dance parties suck.

But also agree they need to so something to appeal to younger audiences - don't think that's actually about what is happening on the ice though.

Karen-W

Air the post-skate interviews in the media zone! Instead of introductions why not videos of the skaters introducing themselves? Would love an ice desk style at the end of each group/resurface with some in depth analysis with experts - explain to me with slow-mo WHY a skater got that score and compare it with another skater/team who did it better. At the end of each day of competition (even just for Championships) - why not hire someone to do a Ted Kravitz Notebook style vlog with background information, stats etc. I just think this could be taken more seriously as a sport if it was treated like one.
That would be very interesting. I think the challenge, though, in this, is that there's only a limited amount of time in the warm-up for each group to do that for the last group and you're also busy setting up the viewer for what is to come with the next group. And the resurfacing times are the only break that the commentators get in what can be a 4-6 hour long broadcast depending on the competition segment. But this is something the ISU could do a better job of, I agree, with a deeper dive post-competition analysis rather than the breezy press release style competition wrap-ups they currently provide on their website and even with their social media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information