2023 U.S. Nationals in San Jose

moonvine

Polina Edmunds is promoting her podcast episode devoted to Nats.
I have not listened to it yet, but am interested in doing so.

PODCAST EP 107✨ I give you all the info on the upcoming 2023 Toyota US Championships next week:​
  • Location and Venue
  • Restaurants to visit in San Jose
  • High Performance National Development Camp
  • Schedule of all Events
  • Brian Boitano's Lounge
  • Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast
  • USFS Hall of Fame Reception
  • Who to Watch in the Championship Events ✨

🤗 My dear Sylvia, you deserve all the thanks/credit for bringing the Detailed Athlete Schedule to my/our attention. 👏

Full disclosure: When I looked at the practice groups link last night and this morning, what it was showing was Version 2.0 (dated Jan 17) of the old practice groups format that was just a list of names for each group.

BTW, the color-coded schedule now is up to Draft 6.0, which is dated Jan 19.
It reflects that Junior Pairs now has only two groups.
Is there a way to tell where they will be practicing? Surely some practices will be at the SAP center?

mattiecat13

I’m traveling tomorrow morning. For those who were at the arena today or are going tomorrow, let us know how strict they are regarding the bag policy.

Carol in NC

Update on bag policy on an email that came today ---- We are pleased to share that during the United States Figure Skating Championships hosted at SAP Center single compartment bags no larger than 12" x 6" x 12" will be permitted, however, these bags are subject to X-Ray screening prior to entry. Backpacks and multi-compartment bags of any size are not permitted with the exception of bags required for parenting and medical necessities.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Update on bag policy on an email that came today ---- We are pleased to share that during the United States Figure Skating Championships hosted at SAP Center single compartment bags no larger than 12" x 6" x 12" will be permitted, however, these bags are subject to X-Ray screening prior to entry. Backpacks and multi-compartment bags of any size are not permitted with the exception of bags required for parenting and medical necessities.
Well, I’m glad they sent that out before I left tomorrow!! Now to go unpack all the tiny bags in my suitcase….

acraven

Well, that's annoying. I'm halfway to San Jose. With some advance notice I could have brought a compliant bag. What I have with me is too large and multi-compartment. I guess I'll be emptying the bag at the security door as I have in the past.

Debbie S

Well, that's annoying. I'm halfway to San Jose. With some advance notice I could have brought a compliant bag. What I have with me is too large and multi-compartment. I guess I'll be emptying the bag at the security door as I have in the past.
I have an extra clear bag (handles are a little short, so I bought another but kept the first one)....want it? I'm going to bring the clear bag I used at SA. No req that the bags need to be clear but my backpack purse has compartments and i don't feel like fighting with security.

acraven

Thanks, Debbie, but I can cope as I have in the past. I don't think they're really going to keep enforcing this dumb rule. If they do, I'll juggle what I have along with my folded-up bag.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I got the email with all the policies before noon and I swear I didn’t see any change to the bag policy when I clicked on it. Did they add that this afternoon? Thank goodness for the FSU fam because I wouldn’t have gone back and looked at it again.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
My local friends told me that they have a square drawn on a paper on which you put the bag to see if it fits within. I am not sure how strictly they will use that.

I was just going to say that some arenas and stadiums have boxes or frames at the gates, and they put the bags inside those to see if they are small enough. Like the carry-on bag sizers at airport gates, except no one ever uses those...

A.H.Black

We went over today. They checked our tickets and gave us an "all-session" lanyard. We are still unsure if this will mean we don't have to present tickets at all or if it's just for practices (two different sets of instructions were given to us). It's OK. we will go with the flow.

We also asked about bags. The man in charge told us they would be lenient about the bags. We asked "how lenient?". He said, "Don't bring in a stuffed backpack". They seem to like our clear bags. As always - too much angst before the event. It always works out.

YukiNieve

My friend in San Jose told me that during Jr Men's practice at SAP on Monday, a drunken man came to sit near her, started screaming something (she said those did not sound like English), then he walked up to the board and entered in the rink while boys were still practicing. The guy almost waked to the center of the ice with his casual shoes on. They had to stop the music and the practice.

Has anybody at the rink seen this? I have never heard or seen such a thing in any event...

ETA: My friend reminded me of the infamous incident that happened before Michelle Kwan skated her FS, Tosca, at 2004 World Championships in Germany...

Last edited:

skatfan

I’ve got a ton of tote bags and would be glad to bring one to you tomorrow.

Flip Jump

We went over today. They checked our tickets and gave us an "all-session" lanyard. We are still unsure if this will mean we don't have to present tickets at all or if it's just for practices (two different sets of instructions were given to us). It's OK. we will go with the flow.

We also asked about bags. The man in charge told us they would be lenient about the bags. We asked "how lenient?". He said, "Don't bring in a stuffed backpack". They seem to like our clear bags. As always - too much angst before the event. It always works out.
When you got your lanyard did you just show all your tickets? We have just the e tickets this year and not the physical tickets that we usually had as our order was part of a larger group order! Thank you for any insight!

A.H.Black

When you got your lanyard did you just show all your tickets? We have just the e tickets this year and not the physical tickets that we usually had as our order was part of a larger group order! Thank you for any insight!
Yes, we showed the arena person at the information desk inside the arena (the main desk right inside the entrance). She gave us the lanyards after seeing the tickets and checking the seat assignments. We also had the tickets downloaded on our phones. Hopefully, this way we won't have to rely on an online connection to have our tickets scanned. Trying to save them in Apple wallet has not been successful.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’m guessing they don’t want to have to fiddle with multiple zippers and zippered pockets inside zippered pockets. When in doubt, I stuff my pockets and put everything else in the main compartment so they can easily see that they don’t have to open every zipper.

Rhumba d’Amour

My friend in San Jose told me that during Jr Men's practice at SAP on Monday, a drunken man came to sit near her, started screaming something (she said those did not sound like English), then he walked up to the board and entered in the rink while boys were still practicing. The guy almost waked to the center of the ice with his casual shoes on. They had to stop the music and the practice.

Has anybody at the rink seen this? I have never heard or seen such a thing in any event...

ETA: My friend reminded me of the infamous incident that happened before Michelle Kwan skated her FS, Tosca, at 2004 World Championships in Germany...
These are the kind of practice reports that make it so fun to check this board :)

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

Ah yes - I remember that incident in Dortmund very well - especially seeing the security men, also in shoes, trying to corral him :) I was there!

Last edited:

moonvine

I asked for a lanyard and they had no clue what I was talking about.

moonvine

They did not care what I had. I do have an arena client (normal arena compliant - NCAA, NFL) clear bag stuffed with stuff. My BIL had to reinforce it because sometimes I put it around my neck and it kept breaking. Multiple country flags (which I didn’t need for this comp, so I removed them) take up an astonishing amount of room. They called me over to a screener and he felt the top layer and that’s it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information