2023 Skate America Women SP - Lone Splat Skate

mtnskater

Great top three exactly in the order I would have called it.

Isabeau did hold back some but I like the program much better now that she’s had more time with it. Sharper and more interesting. But what was wrong with Isabeau’s spins tonight? She usually has excellent spins…among the best. Especially her camel. Maybe not enough time spent practicing them yet? She lost points there. Plus her jump GOE’s. I think she needs a body suit for this program too. She could do a lot better to show off her lines which are superior.

Amber rocked the house! I was so happy to see her have her best short program ever. Her spins were cranking and she really sold it better than ever. Her footwork sequence was a little strange for me is all. I hope she can repeat in the free!

Loena is such a great combination of athleticism and feminine style. I agree with whoever said her triple/triple looked q, but if the caller didn’t see it, fine. Her costumes are amazing and she skates with so much confidence and conviction. Love her Bielmann and how many rotations she holds it.

Young You looked awful…..wonder what is going on? Looks like she has gone back to train in Korea?

I thought Mone Chiba was lovely. She didn’t stand out in practice but appears to be a competition gamer so far in her young career.

Icetalavista

Thanks for jumping info. So she might be afraid of speed? Pretty big problem for a skater! Glad we had the Japanese, Amber and Loena skating clinic as a corrective.

That is discouraging re smaller ice being used for smaller events.

honey

To the ISU: do. Not. Hold intl figure skating events in venues with smaller than usual ice sheets. Multiple women nearly grazed the board. Bet a guy will run into it. For heavens sake.
This rink is a standard NHL size sheet of ice (200x85) and the same used for basically any skating event in North America. The same size worlds will be skated on this season. And the same size as probably every other Skate America in recent history has been skated on. No one should be that thrown off by the ice dimensions here.

Sylvia

TBD
Did I hear that Isabeau's glove is named Meryl?
Merle.
Young You looked awful…..wonder what is going on? Looks like she has gone back to train in Korea?
"She was injured over the summer and off the ice for a few months. She didn’t want to mention that at Nepela Trophy to not put so much focus on her injuries. She had a broken ligament on her ankle.
It happened while attempting the 3A in the harness." - from Golden Skate: https://www.instagram.com/p/CyrolOnOwfF/

mtnskater

I don’t have as much problem with Isabeau’s jump technique as some of you. Her rotations in the air are beautiful and tight and her landings usually solid with lovely positions. Many of the Korean women bend low in the knee like that including Yuna Kim if I’m recalling correctly. But they don’t break down their speed. Isabeau will get higher GOE if she can stop breaking down her speed. But she usually lands her jumps pretty consistently, which is more than you can say about a lot of skaters that don’t break down their speed.

Icetalavista

We've seriously seen so much less over the years. The men have skated with transparent tops for how long? Hint, it's way before Cizeron. I think everything Ilia Klimkin wore showed off his entire top and he even had transparent strips down his legs sometimes, too.

Diana Poth once wore this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Qt56XpkOU
Poth of the famed bikini dresses. The innovator. Toller Cranston for chest vees and Poth for economical use of fabric PML

Icetalavista

I don’t have as much problem with Isabeau’s jump technique as some of you. Her rotations in the air are beautiful and tight and her landings usually solid with lovely positions. Many of the Korean women bend low in the knee like that including Yuna Kim if I’m recalling correctly. But they don’t break down their speed. Isabeau will get higher GOE if she can stop breaking down her speed. But she usually lands her jumps pretty consistently, which is more than you can say about a lot of skaters that don’t break down their speed.
It’s not the knee bend, it’s the upper body being horizontal to the ice

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I just got home, so much to watch still and catch up on in the threats, when you guys were doing play-by-play do you think Amber and Isabeau should both have higher scores? I’m gonna go back and re-watch the ladies, I’m not even watching the men yet.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Isabeau has improved since I saw her skate last, but I still cringe at that technique. She also looks very frail in person, to me?

Amber! She and Loena had such command tonight, loved it.

Am so tired so have nothing intelligent to say not like that's terribly unusual tbh

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Watched the second group.

Wow, Amber. She seems to have conquered her demons. Maybe when her career is over she can study to be a mental health counselor. Great SP concept for her, like Kaori she needs the power programs.

Isabeau is such a cutie, if only she could make those jumps more attractive I’d say she could be the first US Oly medalist since Sasha assuming the Russians aren’t there. Even without a 3A or quad she’s competitive with the Japanese and Koreans.

Loena thatagirl. She’s so gorgeous and her skating so strong and athletic. When she’s on she’s such a joy to watch. The third member of my favorite power trio.

floskate

Vacant
Loved Amber and Loena. Fierce, take no prisoners, all out skating. Great to see this in the womens event. Isabeau's packaging doesn't work for me, for what is a very interesting program and while the standings are correct, there should be a bigger gap between Amber and Isabeau to reflect the speed and attack that Amber demonstrated on her elements that are lacking in Isabeau's. JMO :)

Kateri

void beast
Copland did nothing to deserve that butchered edit just to randomly transition back into that wretched vocal.
This feels a good moment to admit that I only recently learned that Copland was the name of a modern-classical composer.

Not having ever seen the 1997 Sylvester Stallone thriller "Cop Land", I thought it just had a really different soundtrack from what I would have expected.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Thoughts on the event

Hendrickx: Great skate. She performs with command and maturity. She could have more facial expression, but she is expressive with the rest of her body. The board-grabbing is a bit much (but then I would ban it from all disciplines, this isn't a Hendrickx issue specifically).

Glenn: Wonderful to see an upbeat skate. Jumps were on. And nothing looked weepy.

Levito: Snake program was different. Nice musicality and carriage. Jumps with her usual technical imperfections.

Petrokina: Nice overall. Thought some of her step sequence where she was on one foot were particularly strong. Not sure the music was the best vehicle for her.

Chiba: Fantastic! Beautifully-skated with elements nicely integrated. Too bad her jumps had some technical issues or she would have placed higher.

Kawabe: Performed with power and assurance. Jumps weren't completely on.

Kurakova: Different style of program for her. She tended to stop performing right before jumps. Also, her face does a lot of the performing work while her body is less extended and musical. I think I better understand her scoring in the past now becuase on TV she's really lighting it up, but in an arena, you can see there's more areas that need improvement.

An: Good skate. Think she was underscored. She was clearly making an effort to interpret the music and her jumps looked solid.

Yoshida: This program at this stage didn't work for her. She didn't look comfortable with the choreography and the theme seemed a mismatch with her skating style (she's never been that extroverted).

Wi: Skate was going well until the unfortunate fall. Not a lot of standout moments, but pleasant overall.

Seo: Good basics, but the technical goods were not there.

You: Her skate looked power-less, like no power in her movements. Hearing that she has an ankle injury explains that, but perhaps she was not recovered enough to compete.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Finally caught up with the women's short and LOVED the top three. Each of them were so different yet so entertaining their whole packages! I cannot wait to see Leona at worlds in Montreal live. Fabulous program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information