2023 Skate America Women FS - Not Landing

VGThuy

For me it's the fact that it doesn't translate well to skating. I thought the same thing with PapaCiz BTW. Thought in their case they were checking the box of hip hop without having it affect anything below the waist.

Leona's clubby programs are fun and she has terrific skating skills, and she doesn't have to fit the classic mold, but I'd like to see her do a SP or LP that goes in a nonclassic direction that isn't always clubby. Or at least uses more full-body club dance styles.

off topic somewhat, but Davis & White's Bollywood RD is the textbook example of respecting a not-traditional-to-skating dance form and doing it brilliantly. Detail, MOVEMENT, excellent use of music.
I agree with you that D/W paid respect to the dance and it was a hit in India from those who’ve seen it at the time. But I also remember that OD was criticized for being very stop-and-start at the time.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Well, I just watched everything, unspoiled without looking at results. Oh my gosh I thought Amber had it in the bag. that was the cleanest triple axle ever, then the combination happened great and then what happened… Oh my gosh it started off so wonderful she finally got the triple axle.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I don't understand why Isabeau is dressed as an ostrich. She needs to get rid of at least half that fabric in her skirt.

Maybe Isabeau’s dress symbolizes a snowstorm, as we see in the movie White Crow (Nureyev’s family in a Siberian village)? There’s a lot of snow flying about, during one scene.

jlai

Question everything
I was watching the clock when Amber was skating. Many other ladies started their first jump in the second half as soon as the second half began but at 2:15 Amber was beginning to skate past me (I was in sec 114) to set up for her next jump. I was kind of worried she saved this much content this late.

Compare to Hendrix who got her jumps in second half done asap and then focused on emoting. Something for Amber to think about

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I was watching the clock when Amber was skating. Many other ladies started their first jump in the second half as soon as the second half began but at 2:15 Amber was beginning to skate past me (I was in sec 114) to set up for her next jump. I was kind of worried she saved this much content this late.

Compare to Hendrix who got her jumps in second half done asap and then focused on emoting. Something for Amber to think about
I don’t think 15 seconds makes all that much difference, especially depending if the program has a slower or easier section just before the next set of jumps.

I’d rather skaters had more variety than the 4 jumps, spin, footwork, 3 jumps all quickly together layout we see almost always. Skaters who have that surprise triple or two towards the very end are always refreshing IMO.

VGThuy

This may be an incredibly stupid idea but how about the 10% bonus for jumps after the 2 min. mark and a 20% bonus for jumps done after the 30 or 45 second mark with a limit of 4 passes after 2 mins.

And is there anything we can do in pairs skating so that not every program opens with a split twist?

tony

This may be an incredibly stupid idea but how about the 10% bonus for jumps after the 2 min. mark and a 20% bonus for jumps done after the 30 or 45 second mark with a limit of 4 passes after 2 mins.
I was always a loud advocate for letting skaters do all 7 passes in the second half if they really wanted. If the program sucks because of it, mark them down. If they fall apart and can’t catch up because they took that risk, that’s on them.

The amount of people who complained about Zagitova backloading but have had little to zero issue with the exact same layout in 90% of programs since IJS started is so baffling to me. And within that, it’s almost always 4 jumping passes in a row and then 3 quickly together just after 2 minutes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

VGThuy

I missed it when the ISU didn’t have to mandate a well-balanced program and skaters were just marked down for front-loading, well kind of.

I actually much prefer this boring layout we see now over backloading though, no matter how hard it was to do.

ETA: @tony Remember when Lu Chen ended her Rach LP with that final triple toe loop on that last note right into her pose? Or Kwan landing her triple toe right to the dramatic crescendo before her pose? Or when Tara did her 3Toe/Euler/3Sal near the end before her final flying back camel to illusion?

tony

I missed it when the ISU didn’t have to mandate a well-balanced program and skaters were just marked down for front-loading, well kind of.

I actually much prefer this boring layout we see now over backloading though, no matter how hard it was to do.

ETA: @tony Remember when Lu Chen ended her Rach LP with that final triple toe loop on that last note right into her pose? Or Kwan landing her triple toe right to the dramatic crescendo before her pose? Or when Tara did her 3Toe/Euler/3Sal near the end before her final flying back camel to illusion?
Yup I remember all of them! The triples were much more well-distributed (minus Malinina 😂) in those days.

Way off-topic to the thread, but the layout of this program was fascinating.

jlai

Question everything

I do like those programs. What I like is a different matter from what will or will not work for a skater. Many skaters were done with jumps by the 3-minute mark for a reason, I suspect. There is no reward for saving the jump until the end so no one does it

Tak

Skate America Women Free Skate was not broadcast in Japan, till this morning. After watching, I am puzzled with Hana Yoshida scores, especially in comparison with Cup of China scores.
SKAM: SP 59.40; 30.61 28.79: FP 131.58; 72.76 58.82
CoChina: SP 64.65; 35.52 30.13 FP 139.32 73.64 65.68
Bolded TES scores were the highest TES scores in the event. SKAM SP was marred with singled Axel which received no score, so relatively low score is quite understandable. However, FP was skated quite well, so 58.82 PCS score seems too low. The theme of her FP, Scarlet Crowned Crane is often considered to represent Japan, perhaps most famous as Japan Airlines logo.
Was this PCS lowballing, due to reverse reputation judging, since Hana is not well known?
Sudden 7 point rise in PCS during the same GPS cycle is rather curious phenomenon.

skatingguy

decently
Skate America Women Free Skate was not broadcast in Japan, till this morning. After watching, I am puzzled with Hana Yoshida scores, especially in comparison with Cup of China scores.
SKAM: SP 59.40; 30.61 28.79: FP 131.58; 72.76 58.82
CoChina: SP 64.65; 35.52 30.13 FP 139.32 73.64 65.68
Bolded TES scores were the highest TES scores in the event. SKAM SP was marred with singled Axel which received no score, so relatively low score is quite understandable. However, FP was skated quite well, so 58.82 PCS score seems too low. The theme of her FP, Scarlet Crowned Crane is often considered to represent Japan, perhaps most famous as Japan Airlines logo.
Was this PCS lowballing, due to reverse reputation judging, since Hana is not well known?
Sudden 7 point rise in PCS during the same GPS cycle is rather curious phenomenon.
I think there were several factors that come into play here:
  • first full season in senior competion/senior grand prix
  • first flight vs second flight
  • grand prix scores will generally increase as the series continues

Reactions: Tak

Tak

Thank you for your reply.
In an ideal world, relative obscurity nor being in first or second group should not have mattered.
However, in real world, it does seem to matter, particularly for the senior ranks newbie like Hana.
I suppose I should be happy that Hana Yoshida probably made it to GPF, in spite of relatively low scores at Skate America.

skatingguy

decently
Thank you for your reply.
In an ideal world, relative obscurity nor being in first or second group should not have mattered.
However, in real world, it does seem to matter, particularly for the senior ranks newbie like Hana.
I suppose I should be happy that Hana Yoshida probably made it to GPF, in spite of relatively low scores at Skate America.
The mistake in the short program hurt the free skate score as well - her components went down slights from short program to free skate at Skate America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information