2023 Skate America Men FS - Texas TES Score Massacre

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Am I the only one who likes Malinin's LP better than the SP?
Let's face it, he's not exactly the "master of graciousness", and his Malaguena, while not as hilarious as Joubert's, still looks like a bad parody. With something more abstract and fully built around jumps, he looks much better. All these weird attempts of artistry only obstruct the view of his jumps.

I would generally go the path of Grassl (in the good way, of course). Take underused music and do the maximum of broken and awkward moves, pretending like you're doing modern ballet rather than being unable to fully control your limbs.

I really like this idea.

BittyBug

Disgusted

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I realize that but I don't get it. Last season he had a good quad flip, which is worth more than the quad loop. So why is he ditching it to try to go after the loop later? There must be something about the jump that is not working for him currently.
He wants to land the full set of quads. He mentioned it somewhere earlier this year.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Aymoz: Best Bolero since Torvill & Dean. Loved that ending!
Kevin that’s a pretty cool Bolero and it’s normally not music I think anyone should touch after Torvill & Dean.
Meh. Torvill & Dean let 'celebrities' murder Bolero for years on Dancing On Ice so I don't feel like the rest of us can be precious about it. :lol: But I'm generally of the mind that no skater can 'own' a certain piece of music, although people should maybe give it a few years before re-using something that is very associated with a particular skater/team. And it's been more than a few years since Torvill & Dean.

Malinin was amazing. Presentation much improved over last year - not the full package yet, but definitely progressing beyond just being a jumping prodigy.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Am I the only one who likes Malinin's LP better than the SP?
Let's face it, he's not exactly the "master of graciousness", and his Malaguena, while not as hilarious as Joubert's, still looks like a bad parody. With something more abstract and fully built around jumps, he looks much better. All these weird attempts of artistry only obstruct the view of his jumps.

I would generally go the path of Grassl (in the good way, of course). Take underused music and do the maximum of broken and awkward moves, pretending like you're doing modern ballet rather than being unable to fully control your limbs.
Well, alright then! I had been wishing and hoping that Jason Brown would use my selection of music, but he never did. Since Ilia isn't in "full control of limbs" as you put it, then I believe my choice would be perfect for him.

I don't call it full control of limbs. I've always called it flapping the arms all over the place like he/she is trying to fly and I've seen so many skaters do that throughout the years. With the song I have in mind, Ilia could flap his arms all over the place and even get better with the program in time. By practicing with this song, sooner or later he will have "full control of limbs".

This is the longer version of the song where Ella really gets into it and I think it would be perfect for Ilia.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
To those who gripe about Ilia's too high 2nd mark, I think you have to take account of the beauty of his jumps. He is absolutely "poetry in motion" in that aspect of his skating. There is no visible strain into the jumps, his lift is fantastic, & his landings are textbook. That has to count for something. Besides, he's really cute. lol

Whenever I see Roman I remember him at the World's performance where Tatiana was jumping up & down at the boards. That's one of my favorite skating memories from that era.

tony

To those who gripe about Ilia's too high 2nd mark, I think you have to take account of the beauty of his jumps. He is absolutely "poetry in motion" in that aspect of his skating. There is no visible strain into the jumps, his lift is fantastic, & his landings are textbook. That has to count for something. Besides, he's really cute. lol

Whenever I see Roman I remember him at the World's performance where Tatiana was jumping up & down at the boards. That's one of my favorite skating memories from that era.
Doing that would require the judges to apply the jump criteria you specifically mention, which is the major part of the GOE for those elements, and give a double bonus by giving credit in skating skills, or somehow composition of the program and/or presentation.

taf2002

Doing that would require the judges to apply the jump criteria you specifically mention, which is the major part of the GOE for those elements, and give a double bonus by giving credit in skating skills, or somehow composition of the program and/or presentation.

I'm not asking for a double bonus. I'm just saying I think his jumps are a large part of his good presentation scores. I love artistic skaters the most but technical skaters who demonstrate really good technique can deserve them too.

tony

I'm not asking for a double bonus. I'm just saying I think his jumps are a large part of his good presentation scores. I love artistic skaters the most but technical skaters who demonstrate really good technique can deserve them too.
But what you're saying is that the judges should be applying his jump quality to the PCS score, which isn't really what any of the criteria ask for. The jumps do get high GOE because they fulfill the criteria there.

Let's take the reverse- should Satoko Miyahara have gotten much lower PCS scores because of her lack of ability to rotate or get height/distance on many of the triples throughout her career? I don't think so. She was stunning in so much of what the PCS criteria asked.

taf2002

@tony, I understand what you're saying but I'm biased ok? :D Maybe I am asking for double bonus. I just hope he stays healthy & continues to improve his presentation.

Primorskaya

Litvinsev: Crazy music mash-up. He definitely performed it, but I think he could do more with better program concepts. His skills are good enough that he doesn't have to be Contesti.
Oh my God I had forgotten (repressed?) Contesti!

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Finished the men's I missed! With two hours to spare on Peacock.

Y'all just let that poor Gogo boy retire already.

I'd rather listen to JUST TARA than ever watch Torgy's SP/LP again. He looked miserable in both sections. He and Gogo need to go have a beer together.

If Litvintsev had ripped open his shirt and become a real boy, he'd have beaten Egadze. Not gonna hate on Litvintsev too much, we've all been convinced to buy the Christmas Happy Holiday Wear from a Facebook ad for Temu.

Quads, sexy Bolero, bah. The true winner is THE SHIRT. OMG. I hope we get a nip slip from Dennis before the season is over. The men need a costume malfunction.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Rewatched the men last night. I may have figured out Litvintsev’s odd (but musical) FP music:

Mix of tuneful holiday music, followed by an offering of peace:

Starts w/ Russian Nutcracker

Then Ukrainian Carol of the Bells

Then the modern song, signifying positivity/peace: Fall on Me with Open Arms.

Bravo! Well skated interesting concept of peace. THIRD best FS program; fifth overall. Hope that he does well in GP Espoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information