2023 Oscars “Red” Carpet & Ceremony

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Is the winner of best picture worth watching? I’m behind on all the nominations/winners. I forgot the Academy Awards was last night too.
I think so but others would say no. The sci-fi aspect is bizarre, so if you hate weird you may not like it. I enjoyed the family relationships/story and knew going in it would be weird so it didn’t bother me. I don’t like The Matrix but liked EEAAO but I do like Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I would say if you disliked all three that I’ve mentioned skip EEAAO.

It really is a movie you think more of as a cult classic than a BP winner, which is why I think some hate it, others love it and some are just meh about it.

VGThuy

I think so but others would say no. The sci-fi aspect is bizarre, so if you hate weird you may not like it. I enjoyed the family relationships/story and knew going in it would be weird so it didn’t bother me. I don’t like The Matrix but liked EEAAO but I do like Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I would say if you disliked all three that I’ve mentioned skip EEAAO.

It really is a movie you think more of as a cult classic than a BP winner, which is why I think some hate it, others love it and some are just meh about it.
To add to this great post, I will say if the more "in-tuned" one is to pop culture and what's been popular in the past ten or so years, the more they'll enjoy this movie at least on the "fun level.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
For all the talk about Cate Blanchette/Meryl Streep not getting their due because they'd already won an Oscar, my fear is that we will not see Asian nominees for a good number of years because Oscar mentality seems to be well, you got a bunch last year, what are you complaining about? It did that with Black actors as well (and if you don't believe me, why didn't Nope get a single nomination? I mean if freaking Top Gun was nominated, Nope sure as hell should have been nominated for something). Look six black nominees! We're not racist! It will be eight years before a high number get nominated again, but hey, we did it once! Oscars seem to be white people, white people, white people with a lot being women, minority one, white people, Year of the Woman where many are nominated but only a handful actually win, white people, minority two, etc.

VGThuy

@Matryeshka, your post brings up a lot of stats I've read. After Halle Berry became the first black woman to win Best Lead Actress, it took another 21 one years for another non-white actress to win Best Lead Actress. When Hattie McDaniel won Best Supporting Actress in 1939, it took 51 years for another black actress to win an Oscar. Haing S. Ngor was the first East Asian identified male actor to win an Oscar and it took another 40 years for it to happen again. Even if we broaden it to all Asians and include Yul Brynner and Ben Kingsley and F. Murrary Abraham, it was still 39 years. I need to look at other stats for other sorts of things that are unique to American demographics.

One good stat, this is the third Best Picture winner in a row where the central character was a woman.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I feel like I'm one of the few who didn't like EEAAO. And it's not that I just didn't like it. I actively hated it.
I love the individual actors who won the awards but am feeling very WTF about the hype around the movie itself.

jenny12

Is the winner of best picture worth watching? I’m behind on all the nominations/winners. I forgot the Academy Awards was last night too.

I really enjoyed the film (even if it wasn’t necessarily my favorite of the nominees) but I do know some people who couldn’t stand it. There is a music video element to some of the editing and I could see some finding it annoying but it also at its core is a moving family drama. I would say you might enjoy it if you don’t mind intentionally noticeable editing.

I do think it’s cool that the Academy gave it best picture considering how many safe choices they have made in the past.

Former Lurve Goddess

I really enjoyed the film (even if it wasn’t necessarily my favorite of the nominees) but I do know some people who couldn’t stand it. There is a music video element to some of the editing and I could see some finding it annoying but it also at its core is a moving family drama. I would say you might enjoy it if you don’t mind intentionally noticeable editing.

I do think it’s cool that the Academy gave it best picture considering how many safe choices they have made in the past.
I really loved that the Academy went for a wacky genre film that was essentially about the mother-daughter relationship. EEAAO is one of two films I've seen in an actual movie theatre since March 2020, so I found it extra satisfying for being different than the usual standard Hollywood fare.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Watching Jamie Lee Curtis' lovely speech, I was mad AF at the academy for having her and Angela Bassett going toe to toe. Such incredible actresses with stunning legacies already.

I really loved that the Academy went for a wacky genre film that was essentially about the mother-daughter relationship. EEAAO is one of two films I've seen in an actual movie theatre since March 2020, so I found it extra satisfying for being different than the usual standard Hollywood fare.

This is close to the verbiage I'm seeing in interviews/discussions leading up to the Oscars.

I love Michelle Yeoh, and I'm thrilled she won. I wish I could have enjoyed the movie more personally, but that didn't keep me from seeing what a gem it is, and how deserving of nominations/wins it truly was. (And the reasons I didn't connect to the movie personally are all to do with my own issues with family, and nothing to do with the movie itself.)

Favorite moments: Sarah Polley—loved her since “The Sweet Hereafter” and wanted this win over any other.

Augh, I started crying outright when she got up and probably didn't stop until the end of the Oscars. I grew up watching Sarah play Sarah Stanley on Road To Avonlea. It was such a pivotal show for me as a kid, and then I wound up captioning a number of interviews/features on her in the early 2000s, before she left acting behind. Ms. Polley has had SUCH an interesting career, on screen and off. But for me, as a kid who thought she was the bees knees, I'm just so thrilled she's someone I continue to really respect and admire as an adult.

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Just checking out the red carpet outfits.

No idea who this dude is, but his outfit reminds me of Plushenko's "Godfather" cos.ume. Red collar, glittery shirt, gloves and everything: https://assets.vogue.com/photos/640e3cc9e3091f7bc4f79673/master/w_1920,c_limit/1473048389
His name is Lukas Dhont, and he is the director of a film called "Close", which was nominated for Best International Feature Film.

His career so far is quite amazing, despite his youth (based on the information in the link below).

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I also think Michelle Williams was the forgotten woman. She carried The Fabelmans. Incredible actress.

I'm starting to find it criminal that Michelle Williams hasn't won an Oscar yet. It feels like she's either nominated every year, or was just outside the short list. I think audiences & voters are going to start taking her ability for granted.

I haven't read this thread so I don't know if anyone posted this link/twitter thread with the old & new photos & video clip of Ke Huy Quan and Harrison Ford. Pretty great, I thought.

I've always though Harrison Ford was a humourless curmudgeon, but this year he's convinced me he's just a lovely curmudgeon. Pretty sure I loud-sobbed when Ke & Harrison embraced.

caseyedwards

For all the talk about Cate Blanchette/Meryl Streep not getting their due because they'd already won an Oscar, my fear is that we will not see Asian nominees for a good number of years because Oscar mentality seems to be well, you got a bunch last year, what are you complaining about? It did that with Black actors as well (and if you don't believe me, why didn't Nope get a single nomination? I mean if freaking Top Gun was nominated, Nope sure as hell should have been nominated for something). Look six black nominees! We're not racist! It will be eight years before a high number get nominated again, but hey, we did it once! Oscars seem to be white people, white people, white people with a lot being women, minority one, white people, Year of the Woman where many are nominated but only a handful actually win, white people, minority two, etc.
Nope was a disappointment and top gun Maverick one of the biggest hits of the whole decade or century or more!

peibeck

Simply looking
my fear is that we will not see Asian nominees for a good number of years because Oscar mentality seems to be well, you got a bunch last year, what are you complaining about?

There have been quite a few Asian nominees over the last few years, and several who have won in the very recent past.

2019 was the year of "Parasite" the first foreign language film to win Best Picture, I believe, and multiple wins for it's writer/director, Boon Joon-ho.

In 2020 two Asian actors were nominated for Best Actor and Yuh-Jung Youn won Best Supporting Actress for "Minari. Two Asian directors were nominated that year, including Chloe Zhao, who won Best Director for "Nomadland."

Last year director Ryusake Hamaguchi broke into the 5 to get nominated for "Drive My Car," which also garnered a Best Picture nomination, if I remember correctly.

Representation for African American directors/writers/producers have been far more under-represented, I'd say. And with the Actors/Actresses it's been hit-or-miss with nominations, although 2020 was stellar with 6 black acting nominees, and 9 of the 20 acting nominees being people of color.

Hispanic representation seems to be the least represented with Adriana de Bose (who is half Latina and half African American) the only recent Hispanic nominee/winner that even comes to my mind.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
On the one hand I can't believe Top Gun was nominated for Best Picture.
I can't either. Though I haven't seen it. EEAAO is the only nominated picture I've seen. :)

Oh this is the best I am so happy for Michelle Yeoh. Everything Everywhere All At Once is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen and Michelle was phenomenal in it.
It's now in my top 10 list of best movies of all time.

Judy

Brendan Fraser - first ever Canadian to win best actor! I have no desire to see The Whale, but once it won best makeup (which received mixed reviews upon its release), I knew he was going to win over Austin.

Ke Huy Quan is just adorable. He is such a ray of sunshine in human form. And between him and Brendan, I seriously need to rewatch Encino Man.

Happy for Michelle (even if I didn't love her dress). EEAAO is the only one of the lead actress performances I've seen, so I can't comment on deservedness, but happy for her.

I have mixed thoughts on supporting actress. Personally, from EEAAO I much preferred Stephanie Hsu to Jamie Lee (in what was basically a glorified cameo). Angela Bassett was good, but it wasn't the world's greatest performance or anything. Kerry Condon was good too.

A lot of fashion duds last night IMO, but my best dressed was Malala. That gorgeous sequinned dress with that hood? Stunning. (and a great lipstick too)
I may just try The Whale though!

Judy

I will, because of Hong Chau. She is an amazing actress - gave an outstanding performance in a movie called 'Downsizing' a few years back (with Matt Damon).
I think I‘ll wait though. The only option is to buy vs rent for 19.99 for now (Canada anyways).

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I'm starting to find it criminal that Michelle Williams hasn't won an Oscar yet. It feels like she's either nominated every year, or was just outside the short list. I think audiences & voters are going to start taking her ability for granted.
Michelle Williams and Amy Adams are the 2 actresses I feel that way about. Both of them should have won by now.

VGThuy

There have been quite a few Asian nominees over the last few years, and several who have won in the very recent past.

2019 was the year of "Parasite" the first foreign language film to win Best Picture, I believe, and multiple wins for it's writer/director, Boon Joon-ho.

In 2020 two Asian actors were nominated for Best Actor and Yuh-Jung Youn won Best Supporting Actress for "Minari. Two Asian directors were nominated that year, including Chloe Zhao, who won Best Director for "Nomadland."

Last year director Ryusake Hamaguchi broke into the 5 to get nominated for "Drive My Car," which also garnered a Best Picture nomination, if I remember correctly.

Representation for African American directors/writers/producers have been far more under-represented, I'd say. And with the Actors/Actresses it's been hit-or-miss with nominations, although 2020 was stellar with 6 black acting nominees, and 9 of the 20 acting nominees being people of color.

Hispanic representation seems to be the least represented with Adriana de Bose (who is half Latina and half African American) the only recent Hispanic nominee/winner that even comes to my mind.
Yeah but representation for Asian-Americans have been low and acting nominations for East Asians and South Asians are relatively new unless you count those who were white passing.

African-Americans are still way behind when it comes to wins compared to their population make up in the US and how much American art and pop culture has taken from the African-American community.

I also find that Latin-American representation in film is still complicated by the fact they Latin-Am actors are severely pigeon-holed and stereotyped in roles offered and there’s still not many filmmakers and screenplays produced with “the three Amigos” being the exception.

And gosh, let’s not even get started with Native-American opportunities and representation historically and now….

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am planning to see EEAAO, despite some mixed reviews. Usually I don't like weird movies. I hope I can sit through this, so I can give my honest opinion - good/bad/neutral/crazy, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information