2023-2024 Rhythm dance

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Lots of waltzes from the 80s.

Journey “Open Arms” was a popular one. :lol:
Mr. Mac and danced to that at our wedding as our first dance. I was a big Journey fan. Plus I wanted a waltz so we could do more than sway back and forth.

I feel like that’s where the RD is headed (to irrelevancy). I hope I’m wrong.
It's becoming a Short Dance like the other disciplines have a Short Program.

I don't get this. The 80s is ages ago, and people who were young then are old now. I should know, I was there! :lol:
I think 70s nostalgia was big a few years ago so 80s is next, right? Though normally, nostalgia is for the decade 30 years ago which would be the 90s. Like ->
If they are doing this I want the 90’s next. Give me all the grunge programs, mixed in with some Dawson’s Creek programs and most of all a million Buffy the Vampire Slayer programs. :respec:
The 90s had better music than the 80s anyway!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Yeah, my 15 year old nephew and his friends were obsessed with Stranger Things and Kate Bush. So I forced him to watch some 80’s music videos and he was less of a fan. :rofl:

If they are doing this I want the 90’s next. Give me all the grunge programs, mixed in with some Dawson’s Creek programs and most of all a million Buffy the Vampire Slayer programs. :respec:
That's not what we'd get. We'd wind up with warring Backstreet Boys and N*Sync programs with a healthy dose of early Britney and Christina thrown in for good measure, not to mention some Spice Girls and another "Friends" theme program for good measure. It would feel like last season all over again!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Please, a nice Melrose Place program set to that jazzy intro, full-on with reenactments of some of the highlight moments of the show, minus blowing up the apartment complex. :lol: That was my 90's weekly viewing.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Actually, scratch that. I have wanted a Twin Peaks program since I first found the show over a decade ago. I believe there was a German skater who used it as part of his short in the mid 2000's, but it was before everything was streamed and I didn't find any videos when I looked some years ago.

Anyways, I think the 80's theme could really be over the top fun in a good way for some teams, while others will just pick the most generic and safe stuff. But I really want the one rule to be that the original (or at least 80's version) must be used, not the 2019 emo tragedy tinkly piano version.

Ena Grins

Personally I'm curious if the theme is literally just 80s, will any teams keep this year's programs? McNamara/Spiridonov could delight us with an extra season of Careless Whisper!

More seriously, will the ISU name it the Short Dance again? It's not exactly a Rhythm Dance if they don't care about the rhythm at all.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am all for an 80s RD. It was my favourite era of music, particularly the UK scene from punk to new romantic. I am still finding it weird that it is considered retro these days. There is so much music to choose from.

And I am sure that we will get some fabulous costume voids.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Anyways, I think the 80's theme could really be over the top fun in a good way for some teams, while others will just pick the most generic and safe stuff. But I really want the one rule to be that the original (or at least 80's version) must be used, not the 2019 emo tragedy tinkly piano version.
Yes please! No covers! :drama:

topaz

90's R&B and HipHop in my opinion is some of the best music of the 20th century. Destiny's Child, Aaliyah, New Edition, Bobby Brown's solo stuff. TLC, Teddy Riley, Janet and Michael Jackson. Hmmm, I would love for team(who can dance off ice) do a program to "Scream" by MJ and Janet. More crazy thoughts coming from me, but this would be a good program for the Brits or the Lithuanians.

I'll add Brandy, Monica, Mary J Blige to the list.

Primorskaya

Can't decide if this is the ISU trying again, tragically, to be down with the kids, or trying, as they should, to be down with the grannies. Either way, it has massive ridiculousness potential so I'm interested.

Although yeah, really, I'd kill for a waltz, complete with Empress Sissi beribboned cupcakes as dresses (and all the guys looking like the Nutcracker)!

Tesla

Whippet Good
Can't decide if this is the ISU trying again, tragically, to be down with the kids, or trying, as they should, to be down with the grannies. Either way, it has massive ridiculousness potential so I'm interested.

Although yeah, really, I'd kill for a waltz, complete with Empress Sissi beribboned cupcakes as dresses (and all the guys looking like the Nutcracker)!
Hey! I think they're trying to be down with the Gen Xers (I am a Gen Xer with a 6- and 10-year-old). :drama:

Former Lurve Goddess

I guess I should have added the two rabbits I have.

How dare I be so disrespectful to them. :drama: :lol:

I’ll pay for that later. :lol:
When I was a kid, we had a rabbit who thought he was one of the cats! He ate cat food and used the litter box. I'm sure some enterprising dance team could come up with an RD or FD on a related theme. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information