2023-2024 Rhythm dance

litenkyckling

I guess this is about as official as it’s going to get until worlds then?

Hope to see a lot of creativity as that’s such a broad theme. As always though - I often think fans have better ideas than the skaters, coaches and choreographers do 🤷‍♀️

screech

I mentioned in another thread, but I desperately want a team to skate to Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" - the Oscar-nominated song from the movie "Mannequin". And the team needs to lean into the mannequin theme, while also being overly dramatic, as an 80s power ballad calls for.
And as I mentioned in that thread, I would also accept Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart"

And I would give a team bonus points if they wore flower pot headpieces (since I doubt a hat would be permitted) to skate to Devo's "Whip It". Especially if they paired it with sleeveless black turtlenecks.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I'm totally not getting this. What's the obsession with the 1980s?
Days ago, somebody mentioned knowledge of the ISU’s mandate for next season’s RDs…a salute to the 1980s. Dynasty on ice? Big hair and shoulder pads? Perhaps just a rumor by Margaglio (post 1 above).

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Is 80s nostalgia big these days?

Regardless of the decade, though, a decade is not a style of music let alone a rhythm. So :confused:
Right. I’ve no idea what Margaglio had in mind. Michael Jackson’s moonwalk beat?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Is 80s nostalgia big these days?

Regardless of the decade, though, a decade is not a style of music let alone a rhythm. So :confused:
Well neither is the ‘creativity’ we’ve seen the last few years for some of these supposed styles.

If they are pushing for 80’s as in the music has to have been released in the 80’s, then it’s going to be more of a narrow selection than what we are seeing now anyways.

Rhumba d’Amour

I mentioned in another thread, but I desperately want a team to skate to Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" - the Oscar-nominated song from the movie "Mannequin". And the team needs to lean into the mannequin theme, while also being overly dramatic, as an 80s power ballad calls for.
And as I mentioned in that thread, I would also accept Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart"

And I would give a team bonus points if they wore flower pot headpieces (since I doubt a hat would be permitted) to skate to Devo's "Whip It". Especially if they paired it with sleeveless black turtlenecks.
Total Eclipse of the Heart was MADE for ice dance. I completely support this! And I want a LITERAL interpretation!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Anymore than the "folk dance" was a specific rhythm?
well it wasn't and I don't think the street dance was either but those at least sort of made for something to go on. I mean 80s could mean Philip Glass. It actually doesn't tell anyone anything about what they are looking for. Although I suppose they may give some directions but why limit by a time range? (other than some fad for 80s nostalgia)

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I don't really care what they choose for the Rhythm Dance: without the pattern, I find it a giant bore.
I feel similarly. I still find this season’s senior RDs entertaining, but they’re not nearly as stimulating in an intellectual/nerd/fan sort of way. I love the sport as art, but I also love it as a puzzle to solve. The lack of the pattern and dumbed down pattern step just makes the puzzle way less stimulating.

well it wasn't and I don't think the street dance was either but those at least sort of made for something to go on. I mean 80s could mean Philip Glass. It actually doesn't tell anyone anything about what they are looking for. Although I suppose they may give some directions but why limit by a time range? (other than some fad for 80s nostalgia)
I think it’s going to be all about nostalgia and vibes, part of the ice dance technical committee’s attempt to make the sport more attractive to younger generations. I wouldn’t be surprised if the music requirement was just published in the 80s decade and no actual rhythm or tempo requirements. I feel like that’s where the RD is headed (to irrelevancy). I hope I’m wrong.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Yeah, my 15 year old nephew and his friends were obsessed with Stranger Things and Kate Bush. So I forced him to watch some 80’s music videos and he was less of a fan. :rofl:

If they are doing this I want the 90’s next. Give me all the grunge programs, mixed in with some Dawson’s Creek programs and most of all a million Buffy the Vampire Slayer programs. :respec:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information