2022 U.S. Stars on Ice Tour

VGThuy

Isn't Alysa by far the youngest member of the cast? She doesn't have experience touring, and at some level it is a job with a lot of boring transit time despite a trip to Disneyworld or a hockey game. Combine that with not having close-in-age friends around, and I can see a lot of younger teens getting bored with the whole thing, especially now that she's done with competitive skating. Some skaters thrive on shows/tours. Some don't. Sad, but true.
Pat Lipinski mentioned something similar when she was saying Stars on Ice didn’t really provide anything for Tara when she was a teenaged cast member while the rest of the cast had a good few years on her. Then she went on about how the Collins took care of their younger cast better (to be fair they had a lot more of them since they got currently competing skaters to tour) and made sure to schedule things that age group would find fun.

That said, if you’re going to tour and be paid for it and you’re going to skate checked out, it’s not wrong to be criticized for it.

Debbie S

It sounds like SOI is providing fun excursions for the cast when they have a day or night off.

I haven't seen the show yet, so I can't speak to Alysa's performances, but let's remember that she is new to show skating. She's only even been competing in front of large audiences for a couple years. She's not going to be as polished a performer as the more veteran cast members, regardless of what she thinks of touring life.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
So has Nathan already given up on the Mathieu Caron Elton John costume? Recent clips I’ve seen on social media of the show have been him in the Olympic Rocketman cosmic shirt.
I believe the Mathieu Caton Elton John costume is for a group number, not his Rocketman solo.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
IIRC part of the "problem" with Tara being younger than the rest of the SOI cast was that some of the cast were allegedly doing things that Pat did not want her to witness, like cheating on their spouses and drinking in bars. So her mom encouraged her not to socialize too much with them.

Also this was before Twitter, Instagram, etc, so Tara couldn't keep in touch with her friends and fans that way. I think she brought some of her skating friends along for a few parts of the tour, but otherwise she was still the youngest one on the tour.

Alysa has the Internet, and she also seems to be well-adjusted to being around people of many different ages. I seriously doubt she is experiencing what Tara experienced.

skatfan

Rocketman flows into the finale group number, I think. Regardless, he wasn’t wearing it in the group number recently either. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I saw a video of him in his Caron costume (a dressed up version of his La boheme costume) doing his rocket man routine - it made no sense that he wore it to do his last footwork. I’m glad he changed it if he wasn’t feeling it.

aml78

I have two really silly questions. I have been looking at pics from the shows. Is Madi H wearing white skates in the group numbers and her tan skates in her numbers with Zach? Are they making her wear white ones to blend in?

Also, why are the tongues on Mariah’s skates black?

Debbie S

I have two really silly questions. I have been looking at pics from the shows. Is Madi H wearing white skates in the group numbers and her tan skates in her numbers with Zach? Are they making her wear white ones to blend in?

Also, why are the tongues on Mariah’s skates black?
I think those are the laces on Mariah's skates, not the tongues?

Unless Madi H bought a new pair of skates, she's probably wearing the same skates throughout the show. Maybe it's the spotlights making the boots look lighter? I haven't seen the show yet (going this Friday!) so don't know.

In the pics and stories I saw from this afternoon's show, it looks like Nathan wore the Olys shirt for his individual number but the Caron look for the finale. He must exit the ice for a few min between the numbers and change shirts.

honey

Unless Madi H bought a new pair of skates, she's probably wearing the same skates throughout the show. Maybe it's the spotlights making the boots look lighter? I haven't seen the show yet (going this Friday!) so don't know.

In the pics and stories I saw from this afternoon's show, it looks like Nathan wore the Olys shirt for his individual number but the Caron look for the finale. He must exit the ice for a few min between the numbers and change shirts.
It’s definitely the tongues and not the laces on Mariah’s skates. It was like that at worlds too.

You can see it well here on this picture of her (the third one).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cco_sOfsNb2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

smurfy

I just saw the show in Providence and really enjoyed it. Skaters seem to be having fun.

Something popped up that I want to ask, as I don't always read all the threads all the way through, so may not be update to date.
This years cast is great, but I realized, other than Mirai - it is all folks who competed this past year.
Are the Shibs and Adam not touring? Bradie? Ashley retired? Jeremy Abbott? Meryl & Charle?
Just curious. I have been going to SOI since the early 90s - and since early 2000s tour is almost a replacement for Champions on Ice, as early SOI was during amateur comp season.

Firedancer

He does exit the ice for a few minutes between numbers but last night he didn’t change shirts. He wore his shirt from the Olympics for his rocketman program and the finale.

I went to the Hartford show last and I really enjoyed it. Nathan did have a couple mistakes but it was exciting to see rocketman live and he is a highlight in the group numbers, as well. Jason is such a natural performer and the quality of everything he does is unmatched. I was excited to see Sinnerman and H/D’s Janet Jackson RD live, after I missed getting to see them at nationals. This was my first time seeing Vincent and C/B live and I was impressed with both.

I was with a friend who doesn’t watch skating and Jason really stood out to her. She also really like H/D too.

aml78

Here’s a link to a pic where you can clearly see she’s in white skates.

Debbie S

Here’s a link to a pic where you can clearly see she’s in white skates.

I guess she has a 2nd pair. I think it's kind of silly....this isn't a synchro competition, does SOI think fans notice or care what color skates the skaters are wearing?

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I hadn't heard of Holt International, but I looked it up online and there are some stories about its operations that are somewhat concerning. It also doesn't get very good ratings from Charity Navigator for its financial performance. If you're thinking of donating at SOI, please do some research first to be sure that you are OK with supporting the organization.
This is good to know! I'm surprised that Scott would endorse a charity with a shaky reputation and during the SOI intermission! His video introduction gave the very strong impression that they are credible!

Debbie S

This is good to know! I'm surprised that Scott would endorse a charity with a shaky reputation and during the SOI intermission! His video introduction gave the very strong impression that they are credible!
Scott probably doesn't look up Charity Navigator. He is an evangelical Christian and if you read the charity's website, you can understand why Scott would pick them (their verbiage sounds faith-based).

I am glad I read abt this before attending. Perfect bathroom break w no lines. And the folks in the stands handing stuff out- ugghh
So this happens before intermission officially begins? My mom and I are on the aisle so no problem heading for the ladies room early. :)

nylynnr

Scott is not endorsing a charity with a shaky reputation. As Wyliefan notes, Holt has a good rating. I am certain he, and IMG management, have vetted the organization.

As another measure there is nothing out of line in terms of executive compensation and spending.

Trillian

Scott is not endorsing a charity with a shaky reputation. As Wyliefan notes, Holt has a good rating. I am certain he, and IMG management, have vetted the organization.

Husband and I spent some time researching adoption a while back. Holt is one of the oldest and most established international adoption organizations in the country. (They started in the wake of the Korean War, IIRC.) How problematic anyone finds them will probably depend on how problematic they find the overall culture of international adoption. I never got the impression Holt was particularly an outlier in that industry.

Anyway, I got tickets for my birthday, so I’m going to SOI for the first time since I was a teenager. I won’t mind having a little extra time at intermission.

Debbie S

I don't find international adoption problematic, but I think it's an odd charity to promote on SOI. If it were a skating-related charity - Figure Skating in Harlem or something similar - that would make more sense, but this seems more like Scott promoting a pet project and the direct solicitation tactics people here have described seem inappropriate for the audience and event.

skatfan

I don't find international adoption problematic, but I think it's an odd charity to promote on SOI. If it were a skating-related charity - Figure Skating in Harlem or something similar - that would make more sense, but this seems more like Scott promoting a pet project and the direct solicitation tactics people here have described seem inappropriate for the audience and event.
I’m never excited about charity pitches to a trapped audience there for something entirely different.

nylynnr

I’m never excited about charity pitches to a trapped audience there for something entirely different.
Absolutely valid point! I don't like it, either. Big difference between that statement, and not liking the concept in general, to writing that Scott is promoting a shady charity.

Back to the show -- I must add, I was so impressed with Mirai's performances, particularly her first number. I cannot remember ever seeing her more expressive and musical.

Trillian

I agree that it is an odd choice, but pretty on brand for Scott. The concept of adoption is great, but the industry that has built up around it in the U.S. is not without moral and ethical ambiguity, so that is going to be a turnoff for some portion of the audience.

I would also add that adoption can be a very, very emotionally charged topic for a lot of people, which is another reason I don’t love that they’re doing this. I’m personally glad to be forewarned, let’s put it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information