2022 Nationals in Nashville

Gusmom

Banned Member
YBut what if someone vaccinated attends events earlier in the week and then starts to feel like they have a cold or whatever else? Odds are they aren't going to say shit nor will they be tested- because they have a vaccination card. I know people are going to argue and act like everyone is a saint and they will do the right thing, but be realistic for 2 seconds.
i do worry about that. My plan was to use good N95 masks, keep distance as much as possible (hopefully they will let us move in the arena), hibernate in my hotel room to watch sessions I'm not attending, maybe go a little later to events I am than I would normally (apologies to the first groups). I will miss the meeting people and watching skaters etc around the hotels, but I will enjoy the skating. Saturday will be a really long day with about 7 hrs in the arena (break for pairs). Disappointed to not see some of the sites around the city (museums, capital, tours, etc.) but not worth the risk.

We have a few extra rapid tests left from the holidays so I was planning to bring them & test daily. I know they're not 100% but something I can do to maximize safety for all. I would hope that anyone feeling sick would stay home - or at least in their hotel room. But even before covid, I hated buffets (& used a napkin etc to avoid touching the serving utensils), tried to avoid close contact w strangers, stay home if I'm sick, etc. I have asthma so I've gotten used to extra precautions.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
But what if someone vaccinated attends events earlier in the week and then starts to feel like they have a cold or whatever else? Odds are they aren't going to say shit nor will they be tested- because they have a vaccination card. I know people are going to argue and act like everyone is a saint and they will do the right thing, but be realistic for 2 seconds.
That was a concern of mine, not for other people's behavior but my own.

I worried (and expressed my worry to some of my friends) that should I display a symptom or two (say runny nose or unusual amount of sneezing), I would pooh pooh it all and fly home anyway, rather than risk being quarantined in a hotel room in Nashville. When I learned that Omicron has a very quick turnaround (24-36 hours) that concern became even more serious.

So that was something I factored in when I decided not to go. Some people are saints and some people are the devil's offspring and some people (myself included) fall into the murky ground between.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
are those PCR tests that are required?
Yes. Which is part of the problem because, by the time the results come back, the person could be infected.

80% of people still have at least one shot and 97% have both.
I think you meant to switch those as you can't have fewer people with one shot than with two. Or am I misreading this? :confused:

We have a few extra rapid tests left from the holidays so I was planning to bring them & test daily. I know they're not 100% but something I can do to maximize safety for all. I would hope that anyone feeling sick would stay home -
I am getting a PCR test today so that if I have it and don't know it, I won't get on the plane. It's going to play hell with my plans as today is the last day to cancel my hotel reservations. But I'm not going to be a super-spreader if I can at all help it.

sjs5572

You already know the masked thing has been non-existent for a long time now all across Florida. Most people would be :rolleyes: to the extreme if they went anywhere here, but in Miami, which was 53/46 for Biden in 2020, 80% of people have both shots and 97% have at least one. People can continue to make it political or realize at this point, with all the sources of proof that you need, a lot of people in general have moved on or have gotten much more lax, even past Florida. One thing I can tell you for sure - the nightlife or any sign of social life here isn't exclusive to Trump voters while the Dems all sit at home or masked
Well, I also shop at Sanwa Foods, which is in a liberal/minority area of Tampa. I would say that almost 100% of the customers are masked. So, it's not true that mask resistance is a problem in the least Trumpy areas of Florida.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Well, I also shop at Sanwa Foods, which is in a liberal/minority area of Tampa. I would say that almost 100% of the customers are masked. So, it's not true that mask resistance is a problem in the least Trumpy areas of Florida.
I can’t keep continuing with this. You’re going to believe what you want to believe and continue to think from a sole political mindset which is crazy. You’re using one store in Tampa as your example for an entire area. I live here and I’ve seen what it’s like for the last nearly two years. 😂

By the way, since you went there: it’s almost an identical split between Tampa and Miami from the 2020 election. So I guess both places are equally ‘least Trumpy’.

sjs5572

I can’t keep continuing with this. You’re going to believe what you want to believe and continue to think from a sole political mindset which is crazy. You’re using one store in Tampa as your example for an entire area. I live here and I’ve seen what it’s like for the last nearly two years. 😂

By the way, since you went there: it’s almost an identical split between Tampa and Miami from the 2020 election. So I guess both places are equally ‘least Trumpy’.
Straz Center: everyone masked. Trader Joe's St Pete: everyone masked. Whole Foods Tampa: everyone masked. Literally every store in Wilton Manors Lauderdale: masked. Again, in the most liberal areas in the most liberal counties of Florida (remember that Hillsborough, Pinellas, Miami Dade, Orange and Broward are not monolithic) people wear masks!!

tony

Straz Center: everyone masked. Trader Joe's St Pete: everyone masked. Whole Foods Tampa: everyone masked. Literally every store in Wilton Manors Lauderdale: masked. Again, in the most liberal areas in the most liberal counties of Florida (remember that Hillsborough, Pinellas, Miami Dade, Orange and Broward are not monolithic) people wear masks!!
I live in literal downtown Miami and lived/worked in South Beach for the previous 6 years. I've been to Ft. Lauderdale plenty in the last year and a half. The delusion is real if you think everyone in these places are wearing masks or even a majority are. Your mindset of it being black and white is part of the big problem.

Also, since Tennessee is a red state but Nashville is an even more overwhelmingly blue city than Tampa or Miami, I'm sure people are relieved to know that everyone in Nashville will be 100% wearing masks everywhere by your bizarre sampling. ;)

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Has anyone seen a link for practice groups. I thought I found one but it turned out to be 2021.

Last edited:

sk8pics

A friend of mine was planning to go with her husband and has changed her mind. Not because of the masking/testing requirements just announced but because she felt too nervous to go. She did not get an email from either USFS or Ticketmaster, so I passed on the info posted earlier in this thread so she’d know how to request a refund.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Also, since Tennessee is a red state but Nashville is an even more overwhelmingly blue city than Tampa or Miami, I'm sure people are relieved to know that everyone in Nashville will be 100% wearing masks everywhere by your bizarre sampling. ;)
Then why does Davidson County have twice the per capita cases of my county? :lol:

Kidding. I kid. I know 100% of people will be wearing masks.

sk8nlizard

I imagine anyone from the North or West coast planning to come to Nashville, will be in for an eye opening experience. I live in Texas and when I say 5-10% of people are masked at any one place, I am not exaggerating at all. I actually feel way safer going to sit in the arena at Nashville than I do going about my daily business in Texas. Not to mention, I know my kids will be returning to school next week. No schools near us closed or were masks required even when numbers for Delta were out of control this fall.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I imagine anyone from the North or West coast planning to come to Nashville, will be in for an eye opening experience. I live in Texas and when I say 5-10% of people are masked at any one place, I am not exaggerating at all. I actually feel way safer going to sit in the arena at Nashville than I do going about my daily business in Texas. Not to mention, I know my kids will be returning to school next week. No schools near us closed or were masks required even when numbers for Delta were out of control this fall.
I'm also in Texas, and I went to get my kids their second vaccine at a Walmart today. I would say easily 45-50% of the people there were masked, which honestly surprised me? It was mildly reassuring. The line wrapping around the parking lot to get covid tested was less so. 🤷‍♀️ I imagine some of it has to do with where we live, but idk really.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I live in one of the most liberal cities in Florida and this is 100% not true here. Every place I go, most are not wearing masks.

sk8nlizard

I'm also in Texas, and I went to get my kids their second vaccine at a Walmart today. I would say easily 45-50% of the people there were masked, which honestly surprised me? It was mildly reassuring. The line wrapping around the parking lot to get ********* tested was less so. 🤷‍♀️ I imagine some of it has to do with where we live, but idk really.
Where are you in Texas? I am in a suburb of DFW, however we came to visit our family in SC (another place no one wears masks) and I noticed numbers have gone up where we live during the time we’ve been gone, so maybe more people are putting on masks? 🤷‍♀️

Rukia

Where are you in Texas? I am in a suburb of DFW, however we came to visit our family in SC (another place no one wears masks) and I noticed numbers have gone up where we live during the time we’ve been gone, so maybe more people are putting on masks? 🤷‍♀️
Also a DFW suburb. Well, more a north of Dallas suburb. Hahaha. And maybe it is a more recent thing? We haven't been going out at all because of the kids not being completely vaccinated, so it's hard to say what it was like before.

Debbie S

I’ve often wondered if the practice groups are random or if there’s a method to their madness. Anyone know?
For the Senior groups, anyway, they tend to alternate the top finishers from the year before. In each discipline, you'll see that the top 3 2021 finishers are each in a different group. Not sure how far down in placement they stop alternating. And first-timers (or first-time Seniors) presumably are assigned randomly.

sk8nlizard

Also a DFW suburb. Well, more a north of Dallas suburb. Hahaha. And maybe it is a more recent thing? We haven't been going out at all because of the kids not being completely vaccinated, so it's hard to say what it was like before.
My suburb is north And between Dallas and Fort Worth. It always amazes me how many people aren’t masked, since it’s a highly educated, fairly wealthy area.

Frog Foot

I’ve often wondered if the practice groups are random or if there’s a method to their madness. Anyone know?
I believe that is up to the event referee. They review everything about the event as they are responsible for them. In the past they would seed the groups in ranking from the previous Nationals or International events.

peibeck

Simply looking
I have a coworker who was in Nashville and Pigeon Forge over Thanksgiving and she said she was totally shocked that almost no one was masked. Of course, in our state (IL) it is mandated in businesses and most people comply (at least in my area).

We will just have to do what we need to do to feel safe in traveling for this event. I'm personally thankful for the slight extra precautions put in place this week, but realize nothing is perfect. My main thoughts now are about the athletes traveling and flight cancelations, both for this event, returning home, and those on their way to 4CC or the Olympics.

sk8nlizard

I have a coworker who was in Nashville and Pigeon Forge over Thanksgiving and she said she was totally shocked that almost no one was masked. Of course, in our state (IL) it is mandated in businesses and most people comply (at least in my area).

We will just have to do what we need to do to feel safe in traveling for this event. I'm personally thankful for the slight extra precautions put in place this week, but realize nothing is perfect. My main thoughts now are about the athletes traveling and flight cancelations, both for this event, returning home, and those on their way to 4CC or the Olympics.
I would imagine that this year especially they might send a completely different team to 4CC and Olympics. The extra travel really increases the amount of exposure.

tony

I would imagine that this year especially they might send a completely different team to 4CC and Olympics. The extra travel really increases the amount of exposure.
The US (and Canada) never tend to send Olympic-bound teams to 4CC. This year, I certainly don't think any of them will be getting extra travel time between Nashville and Beijing.

Rukia

The US (and Canada) never tend to send Olympic-bound teams to 4CC. This year, I certainly don't think any of them will be getting extra travel time between Nashville and Beijing.
I thought the US already said they weren't sending their Olympic team to 4CC? (Sorry that may be what you're saying and I'm just not getting it haha).

How's Europe doing? I feel like sending your Olympic team to Euros might be risky.

Anyway, to be on topic, hope everyone is able to stay safe and have a good US Nats.

tony

I thought the US already said they weren't sending their Olympic team to 4CC? (Sorry that may be what you're saying and I'm just not getting it haha).
They may have officially said it (which I missed), and it goes in line with all the pre-Olympic 4CCs of the past.
How's Europe doing? I feel like sending your Olympic team to Euros might be risky.
Same deal as here. Setting records for number of cases while hospitalizations seem to remain low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information