2022 Grand Prix Assignments - when do they come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
⏲️ Tick tock. It seems to me that if Hanyu wanted to beat the ISU GP announcement, he could have scheduled his press conference for any time in the past 4 1/2 months.

I want the GP announcements!

:mitchell:
That's what I was telling a friend earlier today!

The ISU needs to stop screwing around with the GP assignments!!!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I honestly doubt whatever hang ups the ISU is having before announcing assignments has too much to do with Hanyu. I have it on bad good authority that the ISU hates him anyway and will do anything in their power to discredit him and his skills, so of course they would just release them now before his press conference if they were related.

This probably has more to do with them wanting to be assured of the TBA location first.

On My Own

It would be incredibly poor form for the ISU to delay the announcement for him or any other athlete's press conference. All he is, is another athlete, or he should be anyway.

Then again, if someone takes issue to the supposed laziness I was accusing them of during "exceptional circumstance" or whatever, I suppose it doesn't matter much if one can accuse the ISU of favouritism.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?

Sylvia

TBD
"He [Hanyu] has not entered the Grand Prix (GP) series, where the players of this season will be announced on the 19th."

From Nikkan Sports' article posted in this newly created GSD thread:

Karen-W

"He [Hanyu] has not entered the Grand Prix (GP) series, where the players of this season will be announced on the 19th."

From Nikkan Sports' article posted in this newly created GSD thread:
I just want to crow a little bit because, yeah, his JSF bio update was just vague enough to have convinced me, a few weeks ago, that he wouldn't be on the GP this year.

SkateFanBerlin

After worlds it's a crawl from skating tidbit to tidbit - a retirement here, a skate-baby there, ice show clips. This year finds us completely parched for news of the upcoming season. Each day I open FU and there is literally 1 new comment. I've been watching past performances of Jeffrey Buttle and Matt Savoie. What's a skate fan supposed to do? Take up golf?

snoopysnake

Since I am able to go to a GP event this year (SA) I am quite eager to find out who will be skating where. Guess today isn't going to be the day.

Evgeniafan

Since I am able to go to a GP event this year (SA) I am quite eager to find out who will be skating where. Guess today isn't going to be the day.
I know, me too. I have tickets to SA and I can't believe we do not know who will be there.

Rhumba d’Amour

I know, me too. I have tickets to SA and I can't believe we do not know who will be there.
Me three!

Is it too much to ask to let us know who we will be seeing?

(But then again—the Lake Placid ice dance event is a week away and there’s been no announcement of the entries there either :) )

Andrea82

(But then again—the Lake Placid ice dance event is a week away and there’s been no announcement of the entries there either :) )

By Lake Placid standards, we should consider ourselves satisfied if we get the competitors three days before the event and the protocols one week after. Last year it was much better when it was held in Norwood along with Cranberry Cup. Not sure if we will be back to pre-2020 standards now...

Last edited:

Dobre

Lake Placid did not post a statement on Friday saying they would announce the assignments on either Saturday or Monday.

(I expect to see most of the top U.S. junior teams at Lake Placid + some decent Canadian ones. If you just role with that, then the rest is cream. I was kind of hoping we would get a head-to-head between Wolfkostin & Chen, Bratti & Somerville, and the Browns in the senior event, but probably not if Cesanek & Yehorov are the ones named in the advance promotional info. Maybe Makita & Gunara? It's an international, and they will need a senior minimum score).

RoseRed

Lake Placid did not post a statement on Friday saying they would announce the assignments on either Saturday or Monday.

(I expect to see most of the top U.S. junior teams at Lake Placid + some decent Canadian ones. If you just role with that, then the rest is cream. I was kind of hoping we would get a head-to-head between Wolfkostin & Chen, Bratti & Somerville, and the Browns in the senior event, but probably not if Cesanek & Yehorov are the ones named in the advance promotional info. Maybe Makita & Gunara? It's an international, and they will need a senior minimum score).
I mean, the ISU didn't do that either, unless I'm mistaken.

Phil Hersh reported that, and I'm sure someone involved did tell him that. But that's not the same as a public statement by the organization.

Dobre

I mean, the ISU didn't do that either, unless I'm mistaken.

Phil Hersh reported that, and I'm sure someone involved did tell him that. But that's not the same as a public statement by the organization.
OK. Then the Hanyu article yesterday said the announcements would come out today.

We were also originally told 2 more weeks.

Anyway, I waited very patiently for two weeks, and I wouldn't have expected the announcement at any particular time if no one was throwing out days for when we could expect the announcement.

Last edited:

Ena Grins

AFAIK the ISU hasn't actually said anything officially? It's all been secondhand reports. But, uh, they should at this point. Just say there are delays and maybe give us some sense of what the delays are.

LoisAGOEs

AFAIK the ISU hasn't actually said anything officially? It's all been secondhand reports. But, uh, they should at this point. Just say there are delays and maybe give us some sense of what the delays are.
At the very least the athletes deserves to know when to expect them, if they want to be planning out their season and what Challengers they should do they shouldn’t have to keep waiting without any timeframe.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I'm not 100% that either Nazarova/Nikitin or Wang/Liu are continuing, but if they are, they'll get 2 assignments automatically.

Fans in Wang / Liu's fan topic on Weibo are saying they left for Canada today.

(Yesterday both of them posted on Weibo for Hanyu's retirement and the locations are Shanghai for both. The training camp @Dai's Blues for Klook mentioned earlier is in Beijing.)

On My Own

(Yesterday both of them posted a Weibo for Hanyu's retirement and the locations are Shanghai for both. The training camp @Dai's Blues for Klook mentioned earlier is in Beijing.)
Yep, saw it. If the fans are saying so, then maybe it is true. One of the locations Jin is supposed to be in is Shanghai as well, lol, so maybe they've all left? I wonder what the currently accepted theory is :lol:

ETA: By the way, chinese fans can theorize because chinese sns now posts the IP address. I'm not sure you can consent to it? But the reason it is confusing to the fans is because it seems staff members have the logins of some of these. Not sure what the point of this secrecy is, or why they don't even have programs yet...

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

Maybe the GP will go to 5 events. But, I'm wondering if there could be something else. If Russia (and Belarus) are categorically barred from the grand prix their scores last year, two years ago, etc are irrelevant. (I think I have that right that Olympics, grand prixs count). To figure out points and standings of so many skaters and teams would not just be an "eye-ball" judgement. A modified version of the system would have to be created and tested. I think the ISU would want to get this right. (I saw earlier here that people were calculating who was eligible for 1 and 2 spots. Maybe they were doing this but it seems like a pretty detailed thing to figure out with a spreadsheet).

Sylvia

TBD
Another "update" from the Russian media today (machine translation)...

"According to the latest information, the commission for the distribution of skaters to the stages of the Grand Prix held a meeting last Friday. Match TV sources report that a preliminary decision on the distribution of skaters has been developed, but its publication is planned not earlier than the final approval of the hosts for all stages."

SkateFanBerlin

Another "update" from the Russian media today (machine translation)...

"According to the latest information, the commission for the distribution of skaters to the stages of the Grand Prix held a meeting last Friday. Match TV sources report that a preliminary decision on the distribution of skaters has been developed, but its publication is planned not earlier than the final approval of the hosts for all stages."
Distribution of their skaters as they imagine it, I think. Nothing to do with ISU.

Karen-W

Distribution of their skaters as they imagine it, I think. Nothing to do with ISU.
No, what they're saying is the hosts met and have the assignments made but they don't plan on publishing them until they have the contract with the 4th site finalized and ready to announce. It has everything to with the ISU and NISA getting their ducks in a row for Sheffield.

Karen-W

Update: They just posted that they've arrived in Montreal.
I'm sure that we'll see a post welcoming them back to IAM soon enough, if the Weibo reports are accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information