2022 Four Continents Comes To Rude Euro Land (Relocation to Tallinn)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I think border countries need to pick whether they are European or 4C and stick with it! Looking at what’s considered European for Eurovision, it’s clearly an elastic concept. Historically Russia has been torn between its Europhiles and Slavophiles, but I doubt they want to change teams at this point.

Jammers

Sadly 4CC still won't be fully attended by the top skaters from North America because the Olympics start only 12 days later after 4CC ends which means it will be 3 years since the last fully attended event in 2020.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Sadly 4CC still won't be fully attended by the top skaters from North America because the Olympics start only 12 days later after 4CC ends which means it will be 3 years since the last fully attended event in 2020.
Oh, good Lord. Please stop blaming the top North American skaters for skipping 4CCs in an Olympic year!!!!!! I can assure you, the top Chinese pairs teams won't be there either, nor will the top Japanese or Korean skaters unless they happen to train in Europe.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Am I the only one that doesn’t really mind the top skaters skipping 4cc? It gives opportunities and chances for skaters in the second tier to rack up points and medals. Like I would’ve loved to have seen Amber at 4CC last year had it not been canceled. I would’ve been OK with Bradie and Karen not being there. Mariah probably would’ve had another chance as well. And if Satoko didn’t make the Japanese team I would have love to see her perform again if she was assigned that

And I don’t see it as a consolidation prize for the non-top skaters

Rhumba d’Amour

Am I the only one that doesn’t really mind the top skaters skipping 4cc? It gives opportunities and chances for skaters in the second tier to rack up points and medals.
This! Plus it helps the up-and-comers to position themselves to move up and take their places when the inevitable wave of retirements of the top skaters hits in the post-Olympic year.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Oh my goodness Los Angeles is getting lots of thunder here. We never ever ever have this. OK just thought I needed to say that lol

Added later - oh my gosh we have tons of thunder and lightning here. We’re not used to this. I hope the power don’t go out before below deck comes on

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'll be intrigued to see who the US and Canada send for dance - it makes sense to send the B teams because their top teams are retiring and they need the B teams to go into next season with more points if they want to start the quad off as strong as possible
Since this is Faux Continents, why not send any of the European teams who skated at the Nebelhorn Trophy.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm guessing that to many places, NJ is at least as easy a trip for the Israeli skaters than Israel, were they able to train in their own country.

I'm glad that 4C's will be held especially for any skater who will not make the Olympic team, but will go to Worlds and can use those points in the starting seeding. The second ITA and GBR Dance teams will likely get Euros points, and an AUT Woman probably will, as will skaters from other countries that didn't qualify. Fentz, for example, has been as high as 8th (2020) at Euros. If he can have some decent results this Fall and do well at Euros, it might bump him up to the later half at Worlds; in 2021 he started in the first half (9th) and missed the FS cut-off by 2.31 points. Starting order can make a difference. Or Kitromilis who won ACI could be CYP's selection at Euros.

China could send a second Man and a third Pair to Worlds, and some Feds may split the spoils, like USFS has done (in 2014 Aaron for Brown, Denney/Coughlin [WD] for Zhang/Bartholomay [who were called up])) and the Japanese Fed (Higuchi for Sakamoto in 2018). As well as anyone who will be called to sub for skaters who retire after the OWG or skips Worlds for other reasons.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I am just so pleased that these skaters can all compete at an 4CC. And that we can watch them perform.
Weren't they just fabulous!

I actually thought at the JGP Krasnoyarsk and the Nebelhorn Trophy, that they deserved to place a bit higher at both events.

seabm7

For Korean men, I'm worried how many stll have senior TES minimum. Except the obvious two, they didn't participate in senior international competitions for a while.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Just to reiterate... this is hardly a Who's Who List that is limited to JUST North American skaters. China and Japan also didn’t send their medal contenders from the get-go. Shen/Zhao and Daisuke Takahashi never competed in a 4CCs during an Olympic year. :shuffle:

Top 10 Olympic finishers who skipped 4CCs from each year include:
2002 - Elvis Stojko, Li Chengjiang, Timothy Goebel, Todd Eldredge, Michael Weiss, Fumie Suguri, Sarah Hughes, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Sale/Pelletier, Shen/Zhao, Ina/Zimmerman, Bourne/Kraatz
2006 - Jeffrey Buttle, Zhang Min, Daisuke Takahashi, Evan Lysacek, Johnny Weir, Joannie Rochette, Shizuka Arakawa, Fumie Suguri, Sasha Cohen, Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes, Dube/Davison, Pang/Tong, Zhang/Zhang, Shen/Zhao, Inoue/Baldwin
2010 - Patrick Chan, Takahiko Kozuka, Nobunari Oda, Daisuke Takahashi, Jeremy Abbott, Evan Lysacek, Johnny Weir, Joannie Rochette, Miki Ando, Yuna Kim, Rachael Flatt, Mirai Nagasu, Dube/Davison, Langlois/Hay, Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong, Evora/Ladwig, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Belbin/Agosto
2014 - Patrick Chan, Yan Han, Yuzuru Hanyu, Tatsuki Machida, Daisuke Takahashi, Jason Brown, Akiko Suzuki, Mao Asada, Yuna Kim, Gracie Gold, Ashley Wagner, Polina Edmunds, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Duhamel/Radford, Pang/Tong, Peng/Zhang, Castelli/Shnapir, Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, Davis/White, Chock/Bates, Shibutani/Shibutani
2018 - Patrick Chan, Yuzuru Hanyu, Adam Rippon, Vincent Zhou, Nathan Chen, Katelyn Osmond, Bradie Tennell, Mirai Nagasu, Duhamel/Radford, Seguin/Bilodeau, Sui/Han, Yu/Zhang, Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier, Shibutani/Shibutani, Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue

Last edited:

Jammers

Oh, good Lord. Please stop blaming the top North American skaters for skipping 4CCs in an Olympic year!!!!!! I can assure you, the top Chinese pairs teams won't be there either, nor will the top Japanese or Korean skaters unless they happen to train in Europe.
Did i blame the NA skaters for not going to 4CC?

Karen-W

Did i blame the NA skaters for not going to 4CC?
Shall I quote you again?

Sounds like blame to me... :rolleyes:

ETA - furthermore, again, lack of participation, especially during an Olympic season should NOT be blamed on the North American feds... If there's a small pairs field, well... blame China. They won't send 3 teams to 4CCs this year, but you can bet their top pairs teams will be competing in Beijing.

Canada missed sending a full team to 4CCs with three entrants in each discipline twice – once in 2002 (only two dance teams), and once in 2014 (only two pairs teams) and the USA has always fielded a full team during the Olympic year for 4CCs.

My prediction - 4CCs will have just as many men, women and dance teams as it does in a non-4CCs year and the only reason it won't have as many pairs teams is because China, for all of it's success at the highest echelon of the discipline, has not been able to develop a program with any degree of depth, so there are currently only 4 senior-level pairs teams that they're sending out to compete internationally right now - 2 will be at the Olympics and the other 2 might be sent to 4CCs.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' 2022 4CC selection criteria document (10 pages): https://www.usfigureskating.org/sit...2022 Four Continents Selection Procedures.pdf
However, in the 2022 Olympic season, the World Team members, who are competing in the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, will not compete in the 2022 Four Continents Championships. The athletes/teams that will have the best chance for success at the Four Continents Championships to win the maximum number of medals and/or athletes/teams that will benefit by providing the opportunity to accumulate valuable world standings points and season’s best scores needed to qualify them for the following season’s Grand Prix Series will be considered for selection.

Karen-W

Just an FYI - you have to go back to 2014 when Canada sent just 2 pairs teams and 2013 when the USA sent just 2 pairs teams to find the last time those countries didn't send the max three entries in each discipline for 4CCs.

Going back further than that:

Canada
2008 - 2 pairs teams
2005 - 2 women & 2 pairs teams
2002 - 2 dance teams
1999 - 2 pairs teams

USA
2003 - 2 women
2000 - 2 pairs
1999 - 2 pairs

For China and Japan, it might be more notable the years they sent a full contingent in all three disciplines -
China - 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2017
Japan - never - 2018 they came closest with 2 pairs teams & 3 men, women & dance teams; 2001-2003, 2016 & 2020 they had 1 pairs team & 2 dance teams

Of note - South Korea beat Japan by a year in sending a team with 3 men, women & dance teams & 2 pairs teams - they did that in 2017. But, I'll give KOR a bit of pass because they've hosted 4CCs seven times in it's 23 year history, so they support this event.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I admit a small part of me is disappointed this event was not awarded to South Africa.

The European Championships may have (frankly meaningless) 'prestige', but the past 25 years the event has been no more than Russian National Championships Part Two with occasionally meaningful guest skaters.

I much prefer to watch Four Continents. The breadth of talent is stronger and the quality of basic skating skills is superior. The rounded shouldered,hammer thrower style of skating has seemingly been in vogue in over there for decades.

-BB

Last edited:

Karen-W

I admit small part of me is disappointed this event was not awarded to South Africa.

The European Championships may have (frankly meaningless) 'prestige', but the past 25 years the event has been no more than Russian National Championships Part Two with occasionally meaningful guest skaters.

I much prefer to watch Four Continents. The breadth of talent is stronger and the quality of basic skating skills is superior. The rounded shouldered,hammer thrower style of skating has seemingly been in vogue in over there for decades.

-BB
I was really pulling for the UAE after looking over the ISU members list. Similar time zone as South Africa and all that plus Dubai would be almost as attractive as Las Vegas for skaters looking to take a vacation post-competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information