2022-23 US Pairs Discussion - Second to None!

SidelineSkater

Maybe it's for holiday performances. Maybe it's something else. 🙈 (ETA- this emoji is copied from her post and not suggestive of knowing anything further)

Wouldn't it be nice? Silly question, but would they have a bye to nats? Maybe they want to go out on their terms with one last skate? USA has three spots at worlds too...just sayin'.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Wouldn't it be nice? Silly question, but would they have a bye to nats? Maybe they want to go out on their terms with one last skate? USA has three spots at worlds too...just sayin'.
Well, they weren't listed on the USFS' internal document regarding the Pairs Final and Nationals byes, but, having said that, there are only 11 teams qualified for Nats, so I suppose the USFS could extend to them a bye if they want. However, I would guess that this is just for holiday shows since Ash had an IG story yesterday or earlier today as she was preparing to fly home from the Kuwait leg of the Disney on Ice tour she's doing and she mentioned it was for a few weeks before onto the Egyptian leg.

Last edited:

ice coverage

... ETA: Mitrofanov did not enter the U.S. Pairs Final with Barrett so we'll have to wait and see whether or not their partnership is formalized for next season.

FWIW, the event program for Pairs Final/Midwestern Sectionals has a listing in Senior Pairs for Barrett/Mitrofanov, including photo + information on club, coach, choreographer, and program music.
I know that Barrett/Mitrofanov did not actually compete at Pairs Final, but maybe they originally had entered and then changed their minds??

BTW: From browsing thru the event program, I learned that Isabella Flores is the choreographer for Olivia/Luke. :)

Sylvia

TBD
FWIW, the event program for Pairs Final/Midwestern Sectionals has a listing in Senior Pairs for Barrett/Mitrofanov, including photo + information on club, coach, choreographer, and program music.
I know that Barrett/Mitrofanov did not actually compete at Pairs Final, but maybe they originally had entered and then changed their minds??
Thanks for the link! :) Yes, it's not uncommon for skaters/teams to withdraw from a competition before the accountants conduct the starting order draws and so then they would not be listed as 'WD' on the results page.

Sylvia

TBD
TES minimum scores status of the U.S. pairs after IceChallenge in Graz from the ISU website:

6 USA pairs now have the 2023 Worlds minimums of 29 / 46):
Emily CHAN / Spencer Akira HOWEUSAISU GP Skate Canada International 202228/10/202237.32SISU CS U.S. International FS Classic 202214/09/202260.75S
Ellie KAM / Danny O'SHEA (new)USAIceChallenge 202211/11/202236.65SIceChallenge 202212/11/202258.65S
Alexa KNIERIM / Brandon FRAZIERUSAISU World Championships 202223/03/202242.11SISU World Championships 202224/03/202272.72S
Katie MCBEATH / Nathan BARTHOLOMAYUSAISU Four Continents Championships 202220/01/202232.48SISU CS Autumn Classic International 202117/09/202160.41S
Maria MOKHOVA / Ivan MOKHOVUSA2022 John Nicks Pairs Challenge08/09/202231.22SISU CS U.S. International FS Classic 202214/09/202253.97S
Valentina PLAZAS / Maximiliano FERNANDEZUSAISU CS Finlandia Trophy 202206/10/202234.45S2022 John Nicks Pairs Challenge09/09/202257.75S

Lacks one Worlds minimum score (has 2023 4CC minimums of 25 / 42):
Evelyn Grace HANNS / Danny NEUDECKER (new)USA2022 John Nicks Pairs Challenge08/09/202233.00S2022 John Nicks Pairs Challenge09/09/202244.58S
Nina OUELLETTE / Rique NEWBY-ESTRELLA (new)USA2022 John Nicks Pairs Challenge08/09/202225.44S2022 John Nicks Pairs Challenge09/09/202248.06S
Anastasiia SMIRNOVA / Danylo SIIANYTSIAUSAISU CS Finlandia Trophy 202206/10/202228.83S2021 Cranberry Cup International15/08/202150.46S

Lacks minimums for both 4CC & Worlds:
Linzy FITZPATRICK / Keyton BEARINGER (new)USA2022 John Nicks Pairs Challenge08/09/202223.85S2022 John Nicks Pairs Challenge09/09/202238.69S

ETA that the minimums for 2023 Junior Worlds are 23 / 34:
Sophia BARAM / Daniel TIOUMENTSEVUSAISU JGP Czech Skate 202201/09/202236.99JISU JGP Czech Skate 202202/09/202253.92J
Cayla SMITH / Andy DENGUSAISU JGP Czech Skate 202201/09/202230.02JISU JGP Riga Cup 202209/09/202239.76J

Last edited:

ice coverage

Thanks for the link! :) Yes, it's not uncommon for skaters/teams to withdraw from a competition before the accountants conduct the starting order draws and so then they would not be listed as 'WD' on the results page.

(y) So what I am saying is that before Pairs Final, they apparently already had formalized the partnership for this season sufficiently to enter and provide their photo/information for the program.
None of which is a guarantee that the partnership will continue next season, but seems like a serious possibility, I think. 🍿

Karen-W

(y) So what I am saying is that before Pairs Final, they apparently already had formalized the partnership for this season sufficiently to enter and provide their photo/information for the program.
None of which is a guarantee that the partnership will continue next season, but seems like a serious possibility, I think. 🍿
It definitely sounds like it. I'd also presume they've been monitored by the USFS and the fed was sufficiently satisfied with their performance to give them a bye to the Pairs Final. It's a shame they didn't compete in the end. It's a shame their partnership formed so late in the year and there probably isn't any chance the USFS will assign them, without a single competition under their belts, to Golden Spin.

Karen-W

Now that Emily and Spencer have gotten a taste of being on international podiums with world medal contenders, let’s hope they keep improving and grow accustomed to standing on podiums in big international events fast and for a long time.
Definitely! Huge accomplishment for them to go from no GPs last season to making the GPF (even in a severely depleted pairs field). They're setting themselves up nicely for a potential Worlds top 5 finish if they keep improving.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Last night I watched on YouTube some videos of Calla Urbanski and Rocky Marvel I’ve always loved them. There’s actually quite a lot of videos of them uploaded. I’ve just been so in awe of this team since they were dubbed “the waitress and the truck driver” by the American media machine

I thought I knew a lot about them but I learned even more by watching more videos. She is from my neck of the woods and went to the same high school as my cousins, Niles north. And Rocky Marvel is not his real name. Interesting his name is Rocco Marvaldi

as I watch their videos just like a lot of North American teams back in the early 90s, totally undermarked even Scott and some of the announcers are always quite wondering why their marks are so low. I guess if you did not have a Russian last name and skating to Rachmaninoff and pretending you’re massively in love your underscored in those days lol

some of their elements are amazing and I never seen a pairs team skate with that much speed even the Japanese team today. Their lifts are crazy fast and they fly around the ice and cover every inch of the rink I think in today’s days they would rock PCS

i’m just amazed at their tricks and I love when he throws her into a double axle and she’s in the kneeling position to start that throw

Their Headbanger is so crazy fast and her head gets so close to the ice I almost love that this move is banned because of how dangerous it is and then the Detroiter is crazy fast as well

I love watching him - he has a very great physique. He’s quite graceful, very masculine, kind of statuesque and I love the way his physique moves on the ice. If you ask me he has really wonderful physique

I know he married Isabella brasseur and they had a daughter, they seem to live quite private lives Just like the greatest figure skater of all time Angela Nikodinov

I forgot that after they were two-time US national champions they split up and I think skated with a different partner and then regrouped again for 1994?

when I watch them in the kiss and cry she seems to have a Nicole Bobek type personality and he’s very quiet and reserved, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile yet I still find him and this team super super interesting

does anyone else have any special memories of this team?

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
ICYMI - Claire's article is a very good read:
Fan Zone article on Emily Chan/Spencer Howe by @clairecloutier before their 2nd GP at NHK Trophy this week:
From July 2022:
Emily Chan/Spencer Howe scored 59.19 in their first outing of their SP yesterday at Skate Detroit and I'm thrilled that they brought back & adapted their 2019-20 debut season FS music to the lovely "Je crois entendre encore" (violin version) from Bizet's The Pearl Fishers! :) (I never got to see the program in person at 2020 Nationals because they WD.)
From Claire's article - Chan and Howe qualified for the U.S. Championships in their first season (2019-20), but did not compete because Chan fractured her foot a week beforehand.

AnythingGOEs' Anna talked to Emily & Spencer about their partnership back in October before the start of the GP season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8yVifvp2Xo
They talk about choosing their SP music this year (they tried a pop song first before going back and turning The Pearl Fishers into a SP and then finally returning to last season's "Nyah") starting around the 8:40-minute mark.

I'm still mourning that their lyrical program to The Pearl Fishers was only skated ONE time in competition (at least I got to watch it online) but am thrilled for Chan/Howe's success so far this season!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last night I watched on YouTube some videos of Calla Urbanski and Rocky Marvel I’ve always loved them. There’s actually quite a lot of videos of them uploaded. I’ve just been so in awe of this team since they were dubbed “the waitress and the truck driver” by the American media machine
does anyone else have any special memories of this team?
ANL has created a thread for reminiscing about pairs of the past (thanks!) - here's the link: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/historical-pairs-teams.110161/

Karen-W

Confirmation from Ashley Cain that she and Tim will NOT be competing at Nats this year, lol... (Wait until the end)

ETA - full list of Nationals competitors here - https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...bArVWCb8qiaI9FHh5_V7R4uXY3JZdZYd1OoGn1ez8yblQ

USFS added Digerness/Sadusky to the field via petition - which is great since they showed great promise (scored in the high 140s at their NQS competitions) before being injured this fall.

And, can someone explain what "one year exception to Rule 2502" means for the two novice teams that were added to the junior pairs field? I read Rule 2502 and it states that only the teams competing in juniors at the US Pairs Final are eligible for Nationals, so my guess would be the USFS wanted 12 teams and felt the top two novice teams could be competitive with the junior pairs field?

Here's the full list:
Senior Pairs
  • Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier (bye)
  • Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia (bye)
  • Ellie Kam and Danny O'Shea (bye)
  • Emily Chan and Spencer Howe (bye)
  • Grace Hanns and Danny Neudecker (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay (bye)
  • Linzy Fitzpatrick and Keyton Bearinger (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Maria Mokhova and Ivan Mokhov (bye)
  • Nica Digerness and Mark Sadusky (advancement petition)
  • Nina Ouellette and Rique Newby-Estrella (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Sonia Baram and Daniel Tioumentsev (bye)
  • Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez (bye)
Junior Pairs
  • Audrey Park and Carter Griffin (one year exception to Rule 2502)
  • Catherine Rivers and Nathan Rensing (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Cayla Smith and Andy Deng (JGP Final bye)
  • Ellie Korytek and Timmy Chapman (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Graceann Gottschalk and Collin Motley (one year exception to Rule 2502)
  • Isabelle Martins and Aaron Felberbaum (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Kayla Black and Kamden Black (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Lilianna Murray and Jordan Gillette (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Margaret Church and William Church (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Melania Delis and Jaden Schwab (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Olivia Flores and Luke Wang (U.S. Pairs Final)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
USFS added Digerness/Sadusky to the field via petition - which is great since they showed great promise (scored in the high 140s at their NQS competitions) before being injured this fall.
Yes, Nica Digerness/Mark Sadusky got their national minimum scores at both NQS competitions they skated at - Cup of Colorado in August (52.14 SP, 93.20 FS, 145.34 total) and at Skate St. Moritz in September (55.00 SP, 84.70 FS, 139.70 total).
And, can someone explain what "one year exception to Rule 2502" means for the two novice teams that were added to the junior pairs field? I read Rule 2502 and it states that only the teams competing in juniors at the US Pairs Final are eligible for Nationals, so my guess would be the USFS wanted 12 teams and felt the top two novice teams could be competitive with the junior pairs field?
Probably something like that. ;) Audrey Park/Carter Griffin, coached by the Meno/Sand group, won Novice with a total score (109.37) that was higher than 4 of the Junior teams, while Graceann Gottschalk/Collin Motley, coached by Peterson/Evora, were able to place 2nd in Novice after only training together for 3 months.

Karen-W

Probably something like that. ;) Audrey Park/Carter Griffin, coached by the Meno/Sand group, won Novice with a total score (109.37) that was higher than 4 of the Junior teams, while Graceann Gottschalk/Collin Motley, coached by Peterson/Evora, were able to place 2nd in Novice after only training together for 3 months.
Do you happen to know whether either of these teams are going to be eligible for junior internationally next season?

I know Smith/Deng have several more years of junior eligibility and Williams/Lewer should be eligible, but it would be nice to have a few other teams that can get some JGP experience.

Sylvia

TBD
Do you happen to know whether either of these teams are going to be eligible for junior internationally next season?
Yes on Audrey (14) and Carter (was 16 before July 1st of this year).

Just found this November 2016 article on Collin Motley's inline skating accomplishment 6 years ago (he was 16 then so 22 now):

Not sure if Lachlan Lewer has been officially released by Australia yet since Williams/Lewer are not listed in the ISP? He and Campbell Young competed for AUS at the Bavarian Open on January 20-21, 2022.

Karen-W

Yes on Audrey (14) and Carter (was 16 before July 1st of this year).

Just found this November 2016 article on Collin Motley's inline skating accomplishment 6 years ago (he was 16 then so 22 now):

Not sure if Lachlan Lewer has been officially released by Australia yet since Williams/Lewer are not listed in the ISP? He and Campbell Young competed for AUS at the Bavarian Open on January 20-21, 2022.
Glad that Audrey & Carter will be eligible next season.

I noticed that they aren't yet listed on the ISP, but the USFS hasn't added any skaters since Sectionals/Pairs/Dance Finals, so maybe they're waiting until after Nationals, which I suppose makes sense, especially if they're waiting on the releases from some feds (Desyatov in dance, Lewer in pairs).

Also, do you know how old Murray & Gillette are? It seems like they might be a potential alternate for Jr Worlds if Lewer doesn't get his release before Bavarian Open 2023?

Sylvia

TBD
Also, do you know how old Murray & Gillette are? It seems like they might be a potential alternate for Jr Worlds
Just checked - M/G competed in the Junior Pairs event as alternates so were not listed in the 2022 Nationals program book (they're coached by Brubaker/Berton, placed 11th in Nashville and have improved a lot this season). Since they're listed in the ISP, the team is ISU Junior age-eligible this season and therefore could be assigned to get their minimum scores for Junior Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Maybe it's for holiday performances.
Cain/LeDuc will skate in the Galleria Dallas' tree lighting shows tomorrow at noon and Saturday at 6 pm (with Mariah Bell) - info is also posted in this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...f-2022-figure-skating-shows-worldwide.110167/

I posted the link to Alexa's & Brandon's well-spoken comments in a 11/19 BBC Sport article re. the delayed Olympic team event medals here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...y-for-team-medals.109402/page-64#post-6342190

Best wishes to Nastyia Smirnova & Danil Siianytsia in their Grand Prix debut in Espoo! :) They've shared 2 off-ice practice pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClWVht_rUqC/

ice coverage

Naomi Williams/Lachlan Lewer were added to ISP list the day before Thanksgiving. :)

Just checked - M/G competed in the Junior Pairs event as alternates so were not listed in the 2022 Nationals program book (they're coached by Brubaker/Berton, placed 11th in Nashville and have improved a lot this season). Since they're listed in the ISP, the team is ISU Junior age-eligible this season and therefore could be assigned to get their minimum scores for Junior Worlds.

As for 2023-24, will mention that Jordan Gillette's eligibility for junior internationals will end after the current season.
Per 2021 Nats mini-bio for his previous partnership, he will turn 21 next month. 🎂

Stephanie

Hopefully both Williams/Lewer and Murray/Gillette will be assigned to Bavarian Open, which is January 31-February 5th (the week after nationals), so more than a year after Lewer's last international for Australia and also the last chance to get the minimums in time for junior worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Best wishes to Nastyia Smirnova & Danil Siianytsia in their Grand Prix debut in Espoo! :) They've shared 2 off-ice practice pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClWVht_rUqC/
S/S's 2nd place SP in Espoo was great to watch! It was unfortunate that their failed final lift in their FS cost them a GP medal. :(

Re-posting Claire's informative response to @mtnskater here from the GP Espoo Pairs FS thread in Kiss & Cry:
Some food for thought here. It's worth noting that Danil Siianytsia wasn't even a pairs skater before he came to Trudy Oltmanns, and Nastyia just had a brief one-year partnership before, AFAIK. So, almost all their current pairs skills have developed through their work with Oltmanns. She has also choreographed the majority of their programs, including this year's LP.

Lifts are typically very strong elements for S/S. However, since he got Covid late last December, Danil has struggled a little bit with lifts later in the program, which is likely due to stamina issues. Danil had some health complications/aftereffects of Covid (long Covid, essentially), and after Junior Worlds, he wasn't able to skate much for a few months. It wasn't until July that he started to really feel better, and I believe they've only been training fully since August/September, and then he had that minor hip injury. Hopefully his health continues to improve. 🤞

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Alexa is selling this unitard, as a 6 foot 190 pound male I’m thinking of buying this for myself for Christmas

Sylvia

TBD
U.S. pairs international medal count this past weekend: FIVE :)

SILVER Knierim/Frazier at the Grand Prix Final in Torino: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl9muS9v97Z/ (Brandon's post with Alexa's response) & https://www.instagram.com/p/CmB5JBrq0o9/ (Alexa's post)

GOLD Smirnova/Siianytsia at Golden Spin of Zagreb - the team's on ice photo after the medal ceremony: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl9rkrUr4Td/

SILVER Kam/O'Shea at Golden Spin of Zagreb
Ellie's post included this scary info: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmFeznXrPzA/
On December 1st exactly three days before I was supposed to get on a flight to go compete in Croatia my mom and I got in a car accident. We were crossing an intersection when a drunk driver hit the driver side door totaling my car. My mom and I were lucky to be walking out of this accident with minimal injuries. I was so grateful that we were both safe and alive.
Drew Meekins post with pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmFi5ykrO_u/

SILVER Baram/Tioumentsev at the JGP Final - Daniel's post with pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmDokYFrSUp/
They landed their first clean triple throw jump (loop) in international competion in their FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6pfyvrzjkw

BRONZE Smith/Deng at the JGP Final - Andy's post with pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmDYJLcoKju/
They added the triple twist to both of their programs - link to their SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btt57M7-47A
ETA link to Cayla's 12/13 post with pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmHUu2prJ-x/

Also, McBeath/Bartholomay finished 6th at Golden Spin and Katie wrote about the positives: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl93JM9IDUx/

Last edited:

Karen-W

Just want to share that, currently, there are EIGHT Team USA Pairs in the SB Top 24. While it would surprise me if all eight remained in the top 24, that is certainly an accomplishment! Four of them are in the Top 12, with BarTiou only just down in 14th.

Sylvia

TBD
Just want to share that, currently, there are EIGHT Team USA Pairs in the SB Top 24.
Preserving this moment in time in table format! :D

2Alexa KNIERIM / Brandon FRAZIERUSAISU Grand Prix Final 2022/2309/12/2022213.28S
5Emily CHAN / Spencer Akira HOWEUSAISU GP NHK Trophy 202219/11/2022187.49S
11Anastasiia SMIRNOVA / Danylo SIIANYTSIAUSAISU CS 54th Golden Spin of Zagreb 202209/12/2022179.26S
12Ellie KAM / Danny O'SHEAUSAISU CS 54th Golden Spin of Zagreb 202209/12/2022178.83S
14Sophia BARAM / Daniel TIOUMENTSEVUSAISU Grand Prix Final 2022/2310/12/2022176.78J
20Valentina PLAZAS / Maximiliano FERNANDEZUSAISU CS U.S. International FS Classic 202214/09/2022166.25S
22Katie MCBEATH / Nathan BARTHOLOMAYUSAISU CS 54th Golden Spin of Zagreb 202209/12/2022162.81S
24Maria MOKHOVA / Ivan MOKHOVUSAISU GP Grand Prix de France 202205/11/2022162.16S
32Cayla SMITH / Andy DENGUSAISU Grand Prix Final 2022/2310/12/2022150.51J

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information