2022/23 ISU Singles & Pairs Scale of Values, Levels of Difficulty, and GOE Guidelines

Sylvia

TBD

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
oh - tricky to get an L4 layback now. I'm hopeful this will result in lots of pretty L3 laybacks.

Spins: To receive level 4 in any spin, one of these features must be counted:

Difficult change of position on the same foot
Difficult exit
Clear change of edge
Both directions immediately following each other in sit or camel spin
Clear increase of speed
Difficult variation of flying entry

Difficult entrance and Difficult exit are two different features. To get credit for both features they must be executed in two different spins and the movements must be of different nature.

Exit: The exit out of the spin is defined as the last phase of the spin and includes the phase immediately following the spin.

Difficult exit: Any movement or jump that makes the exit significantly more difficult. The exit must have a significant impact on the balance, control and execution of the spin.

Windmill (illusion) is considered as a difficult movement for a feature only if it reaches close to a split position. It can be awarded as a feature for spins only once in a program.

Feature “3 basic positions on the second foot” is no longer a level feature.

Clear increase of speed is counted in camel, sit, layback, Biellmann or difficult variation of an upright position (except in crossfoot spin).

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
The technical committee is finally adding deductions for blade assist for toe jumps and change of edge between jumps in combinations.

Changes of edge in between jump combo: The reduction in GOE is -1 to -2.

Poor take-off: For example a toe-assisted jump is taken off from the full blade, Toe Loop is executed like a Toe Axel or there is excessive rotation on the ice at the take-off. The reduction in GOE is -1 to -3.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Happy to see the 'change of edge' between combination jumps. In other words, don't wobble around for 2 seconds readjusting with the, as I have called it over the last few years, jolting quality that has become so popular.
Which skaters are most prone to full blade assist?
Shoma Uno's 4F. Several of the other skaters I've complained about over the years have either retired or aren't likely to show up internationally in the near future.

The only top-level skater I can think of off the top of my head who has a really terrible pre-rotation toe-Axelish toe loop is Donovan Carrillo. Not that he can't clean it up, but it's been extremely excessive.

But in both of these technically flawed instances, as little as -1 reduction in GOE? Please.

VGThuy

Is this a new thing? So no more 80% of value? That's kind of a radical change, no?
I wonder if all the Euler combos or “Euler” combos we’ve seen in the past few seasons inspired this change. That and the new GOE rules about rocky combos and such, the ISU can be saying “if you can’t do a real Euler, don’t bother anymore. Just do a sequence! Stop the facade.”

On My Own

oh - tricky to get an L4 layback now. I'm hopeful this will result in lots of pretty L3 laybacks.
Well spotted - but I think most will train difficult exit and some will train clear change of speed (I think both have been done, change of speed definitely has been done a few times on the layback). Some have done the change of edge in layback, but it's very, very rare. But I do hope the more inflexible skaters just do level 3s.

Which skaters are most prone to full blade assist?
Daniel Grassl and Morisi Kvitelashvili (especially his saltoe) are the most prominent examples among men. I'm curious what they mean by this. A lot of people have a low picking angle on the toe pick, and it's not exactly incorrect to jump it like that (the "it helps" reasoning is just incorrect). Grassl/Kvitelashvili tend to merge jumps with the way they go about it, though, which is what needs to be penalised.

Good to see Kurt Browning calling out Kvitelashili's saltoe, by the way. Although, of course, maybe he "apparently" can't tell which feet and edges a jump takes off, and since it's a valid technique in the judges' eyes, he must be wrong. (Yuma's Lz(!) >>>>>>> Malinin's Lutz too, as are his prerotated toe loop and salchow! +5 all around!)

Is this a new thing? So no more 80% of value? That's kind of a radical change, no?
It now equalizes certain things like 3Lo+3A and 3A+3Lo, when the latter is much harder. OTOH, it now correctly ascertains 4T+3T as being less difficult than 4T+3A.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 221

I'd really like to see prerotation called out with a "p" (80% value at best); same for edge pulls within combo - maybe the "v" symbol could be re-used and 80% also applied. I'm glad the ISU did something, but I doubt the judges will actually apply the GOE reductions.

I'm glad to see that poor illusions/windmills won't get credit on laybacks. If I'm reading right, to get a level 4, the skater needs to have a difficult exit or an increase in speed. I wonder if skaters will try an illusion on the exit instead? Or maybe some kind of hop/jump? What would qualify?

The jump sequence paragraph is interesting, allowing three jumps, the latter two of which must be axels. It seems to legalize 4T+3A+3A (something I could see Ilia Malinin doing), with no reduction in base value. This is potentially a big win for skaters with good triple axels, though it is somewhat risky if they miss the first element since an axel takeoff is required. 3A+3A+2A would be no risk.

vu2019

The jump sequence paragraph is interesting, allowing three jumps, the latter two of which must be axels. It seems to legalize 4T+3A+3A (something I could see Ilia Malinin doing), with no reduction in base value. This is potentially a big win for skaters with good triple axels, though it is somewhat risky if they miss the first element since an axel takeoff is required. 3A+3A+2A would be no risk.

It says the second and/or third jump is an axel (but it sounds to me like not necessarily both in the case of a 3-jump sequence).

Marco

The technical committee is finally adding deductions for blade assist for toe jumps and change of edge between jumps in combinations.
I hope they do enforce it. Still, these flaws (and excessive pre-rotations) are reflected in GOEs instead of BVs so it still doesn't hurt as much as wrong edge take-offs or UR on landings.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

VGThuy

It's all giving me flashbacks to that change of edge upright spin Slutskaya did in '05-'06.
Back when the IJS allowed skaters to get the change-of-edge feature on upright spins. Who thought that was a good idea?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Back when the IJS allowed skaters to get the change-of-edge feature on upright spins. Who thought that was a good idea?
Even worse than Slutskaya was the flying upright spin that so many men resorted to around 2011 when the ISU required the flying and change-foot spins could not be of the same variety (ie not sit for both) and apparently none of them could do a good camel ;)

Debbie S

I remember when I was working on my Adult Bronze FS test in 2006 and on the required (upright) backspin, my coach was pointing out that I was changing my edge. I joked that I should get extra credit for that. :lol:

gkelly

Claeys actually made it look great while Weiss was around the level of Slutskaya except less sloppy.

I think Weiss had better performances of that spin that are probably online, but since I was going to 1996 Nationals anyway for Claeys's program, I figured I'd start there for Weiss as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information