2022–23 Canadian Women: News and Updates

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Unfortunately for Bombardier, she often seems to have issues putting it down when it counts.

She won the silver in junior ladies at Canadians, which is a very competitive category. She hasn't been competing internationally for very long. It's a tough transition from national to international events. Cut her some slack, already.

Yyzskater

She won the silver in junior ladies at Canadians, which is a very competitive category. She hasn't been competing internationally for very long. It's a tough transition from national to international events. Cut her some slack, already.
Absolutely. I totally agree with you and I think she should have been sent ahead of some others who were sent. But I assume Skate Canada passed on her due to her inconsistencies in performance at competitions, including at the Next Gen comp.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Absolutely. I totally agree with you and I think she should have been sent ahead of some others who were sent. But I assume Skate Canada passed on her due to her inconsistencies in performance at competitions, including at the Next Gen comp.

You don't agree with me if you are claiming that she has "inconsistencies in performances at competitions". IMO her variations in placements are pretty typical for a high-level junior level skater making the transition into international competition.

Yyzskater

You don't agree with me if you are claiming that she has "inconsistencies in performances at competitions". IMO her variations in placements are pretty typical for a high-level junior level skater making the transition into international competition.
I'm just saying Skate Canada did her dirty and I assume its due to her inconsistencies. They gave Novice champion a JGP over Jr silver medalist.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm just saying Skate Canada did her dirty and I assume its due to her inconsistencies.

And what you call "inconsistencies" I call "not unusual results for a skater at this point in their career". If SC was going to leave behind every junior skater with a similar record, they wouldn't have too many choices at that level.

RoseRed

I took a lot at the summer results from all the JGP girls + subs (except Kaiya given her injury situation).

Lia Pereira
Sara-Maude Dupuis
Justin Miclette
Kara Yun
Hetty Shi
Rose Theroux
Fiona Bombardier (sub)
Audréanne Foster (sub)

I believe these are all their results from this summer:

NextGen Competition (July 22-25)
  1. Sara-Maude Dupuis — 161.23
  2. Hetty Shi — 155.10
  3. Justine Miclette — 150.58
  4. Fiona Bombardier — 139.48
  5. Kara Yun — 137.66
  6. Lulu Lin — 136.66 **not age eligible for the JGP I believe
  7. Lia Pereira — 134.69
  8. Rose Théroux — 130.49
13. Audréanne Foster — 116.78

Championnats Québécois D'été (Aug 4-7)

Group 1
  1. Rose Théroux — 153.34
  2. Audréanne Foster — 151.15
  3. Hetty Shi — 137.21
  4. another skater
  5. Sara-Maude Dupuis — 133.51
Group 2
  1. Justine Miclette — 169.74
  2. Kara Yun — 156.31
6. Fiona Bombardier — 130.75

Cranberry Cup International
  1. Lia Pereira — 169.05

BC/YK Section Summer Skate (Aug 18-21)
  1. Kara Yun — 162.83

Skate Ontario August Event (Aug 18-21)
  1. Hetty Shi — 151.43

Lia got an early assignment after a not great showing at the NextGen event, but she was still top 6 among age eligible skaters there (and we had 6 spots). Then she had that strong result from Cranberry, which was an international event. So she deserved a JGP spot imo. Sara-Maude won the NextGen event, so it makes sense that she got a spot, even though her result at the Quebec event wasn't as strong. Justine Miclette was 3rd at the NextGen event (with a big gap on 4th), and then had that really good result in Quebec, so her getting a spot also makes sense. Hetty Shi was 2nd at the NextGen event, and then had another 150+ score at the Skate Ontario August event (after her Quebec skate wasn't as strong). So again, makes sense. Overall, all four of them getting a spot before Fiona does make sense to me.

Then there are Kara Yun and Rose Théroux. Fiona beat both of them at the NextGen event, although the margin over Kara was less than 2 points. Then at the Quebec event, Kara beat Fiona and outscored her by 25+ points. Then Kara had a strong result at the BC event. So I can see why they picked Kara over Fiona. That leaves Rose. She got 130.49 at NextGen and 153.34 in Quebec. Fiona got 139.48 at NextGen and 130.75 in Quebec. So Fiona beat Rose in the head to head, but Rose's stronger event was better than Fiona's, and their weak events were pretty much the same score. The other argument for Fiona is that she placed much higher at Nationals. I feel like that puts the two of them pretty close, and either could have been picked.

I definitely expected Fiona to get a JGP spot, and I wish she had, but I don't think the decisions made were egregious or unjustified, looking at the summer results. I'm not sure I would call it "doing her dirty". Skate Canada often sends at least a couple girls (usually who didn't get a JGP) out to a junior B in the fall, so we may see Fiona get something like that.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR WOMEN
Scores thus far in 2022-23 season

Lia Pereira 169 (intl)
Madeline Schizas 166 (intl)
Justine Miclette 166
Uliana Shiryaeva 164 (RUS release?)
Amanda Tobin 153
Katherine M. Spence 148
Audreanne Foster 148
Julianne Lussier 147
Sara Maude Dupuis 143 (intl)
Nour-Houda Foura 145
Miriam Kleiman 140
Laura F. Paquette 140

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Not surprisingly Schumacher has been crossed off the ISU list for Skate Canada and this is also reflected on the international assignments page. I suppose this is the end of her career. Sad she couldn't build on the promise of two top 10 finishes at junior worlds. I would be shocked if Schumacher's spot went to another Canadian skater.

Kara Yun put up the second best score for the Canadian women on the JGP so far (just behind Miclette). Considering she had two obvious jump errors this was a great result for her.

puglover

Not surprisingly Schumacher has been crossed off the ISU list for Skate Canada and this is also reflected on the international assignments page. I suppose this is the end of her career. Sad she couldn't build on the promise of two top 10 finishes at junior worlds. I would be shocked if Schumacher's spot went to another Canadian skater.

Kara Yun put up the second best score for the Canadian women on the JGP so far (just behind Miclette). Considering she had two obvious jump errors this was a great result for her.

Sorry to hear about Alison. She is a lovely skater. So is Kara Yun. She will be one to watch.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Kara Yun had another good skate today, though she had one fall on a triple salcow she was credited with rotating 7 triples. She now has the highest season best score for the Canadian women. She won't be senior eligible under the new rules until after 2026 Olympics (she turns 17 after July 1 2025). Hopefully she will stay healthy and continue to develop.

Sylvia

TBD
As @danafan posted above, Kara Yun, who is 13 (14 in December), "was credited with rotating 7 triples," including a clean 3Lz+3T, in her FS in Gdansk today, scoring 166.88 total to place 10th in a field of 49: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...OR----FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

Fiona Bombardier is 17 and won the bronze in her junior international debut at the April 2022 Egna Spring Trophy, scoring 151.82 total, 2nd in the FS (102.03): https://www.fisg.it/upload/result/5...OR----FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf
ETA that in the NextGen comp., she did land 3S+3T (-0.86 GOE) in her SP but fell on her 3Lz+1Eu+3S< in her FS.

Scroll down to page 5 - "Appendix A - Selection to 2022 Jr Grand Prix and International Competitions" document: https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/2022-Selection-to-JrGP-INT-COMM.pdf
The JGP candidates with 2 or less seasons of eligibility left (like Bombardier) have higher standards to meet than the ones with 3 or more seasons (Yun, who is the CAN novice silver medalist, and novice champ Hetty Shi).

I agree, looking at the results from the NextGen competition, where Bombardier was fourth and hasn't been assigned yet. This was the main factor in assignments last season and appears to be the same for this season.
I definitely expected Fiona to get a JGP spot, and I wish she had, but I don't think the decisions made were egregious or unjustified, looking at the summer results. I'm not sure I would call it "doing her dirty". Skate Canada often sends at least a couple girls (usually who didn't get a JGP) out to a junior B in the fall, so we may see Fiona get something like that.

Rose Theroux made her international debut at IceChallenge in Graz, Austria last year. This year's competition dates are Nov. 9-12, 2022 and I believe I glimpsed, IIRC, an Instagram story a few days ago from Bombardier's coaches (the Roses?) who were happy that Fiona would be going to Austria in November?

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Not surprisingly Schumacher has been crossed off the ISU list for Skate Canada and this is also reflected on the international assignments page. I suppose this is the end of her career. Sad she couldn't build on the promise of two top 10 finishes at junior worlds.
I'm very sorry @danafan :( - I know how much you liked Alison's skating. It's always hard when our faves don't reach the potential we hope for them.
I would be shocked if Schumacher's spot went to another Canadian skater.
And you guessed right (since USA's Kate Wang got the spot as posted in the Grand Prix Assignments thread earlier today).

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Rose Theroux made her international debut at IceChallenge in Graz, Austria last year. This year's competition dates are Nov. 9-12, 2022 and I believe I glimpsed, IIRC, an Instagram story a few days ago from Bombardier's coaches (the Roses?) who were happy that Fiona would be going to Austria in November?
I wonder if Bombardier might get the challenger assignment, as opposed to the junior event, as she's competing senior domestically and already has her junior minimums? Miclette should get a challenger event too.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Ruiter is back, she skated her short program tonight at the Alberta fall invitational and scored 59.81. Lower than she last scored internationally but still good. Triple flip triple toe combo and triple lutz late in the program.
I would like her to get a senior event. she has about a 162 and that was with errors in the long (102). I would place her behind Maddie but ahead of the rest with a clean program.

Reveries

I would like her to get a senior event. she has about a 162 and that was with errors in the long (102). I would place her behind Maddie but ahead of the rest with a clean program.
I wonder why Skate Canada didn't give her the third spot at Skate Canada International, if Alison isn't going to attend. Is it because this would make Kaiya ineligible for Junior Worlds if she did a senior grand prix event?

Sylvia

TBD
I just posted this on Twitter re. Kaiya Ruiter:

"Maybe her team doesn't feel Kaiya is ready to make her Grand Prix debut after a year away from competition?
I think it's more important to have Ruiter transition as smoothly as possible to Senior and aim for longevity in her career. Junior Worlds in Calgary may be the main goal?"
Is it because this would make Kaiya ineligible for Junior Worlds if she did a senior grand prix event?
No, skaters can compete in senior internationals and still compete at Junior Worlds as long as they meet the ISU junior age requirements.

Re-posting here from the 2022 Canadian Spring/Summer Competitions thread in Kiss & Cry:
A link to Senior Women's SP protocols: https://skateabnwtnun.ca/pdf/2022FCISeniorWomenSP1DRO.pdf
Ruiter - 3F+3T (10.03 pts), 2A, 3Lzq, two L3 spins, first spin was L2 as well as steps (she starts skating at 6:45): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8e43db
FP protocols: https://skateabnwtnun.ca/pdf/2022FCISeniorWomenFP2DRO.pdf?t=1664729345681

Ruiter starts skating just after 1 hour 28 mins.: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8e4pzp

What is the title/composer of the piano piece she uses?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Does anyone have any news or updates on Gabrielle? I know she has two assignments coming up has anyone seen her skate yet this season?

Sylvia

TBD
From earlier in the thread (August 19):
Gabby Daleman is still listed in the Senior Women's SP starting order for the Ontario Sectional Series August event but this Aug. 17th article that @shutterbug posted in the Canadian competitions thread in the Kiss & Cry section yesterday seems to indicate she will not be competing tonight: https://www.newmarkettoday.ca/local...-skater-star-returns-to-national-team-5704777
"The 24-year-old has had several injuries in recent years, most recently on Aug. 12, with what she described as a sideswipe on the highway leaving her sidelined from a weekend competition."
[Daleman] is on the entry list for the October sectional series event that is happening two weeks before [Skate Canada International].

And Bombardier is now on the senior entry list for that event (she had been on the jr list published earlier).
Daleman is scheduled to make her season debut at Skate Ontario's Sectional Series in Barrie -- the Senior women compete on October 15 & 16 (don't yet know if there will be a livestream?).

ETA:
What is the title/composer of the piano piece she uses?
Found the answer on Twitter - Kaiya Ruiter's FS music is "Inspiration" by Florian Christi.

icedancefan!!

From earlier in the thread (August 19):

Daleman is scheduled to make her season debut at Skate Ontario's Sectional Series in Barrie -- the Senior women compete on October 15 & 16 (don't yet know if there will be a livestream?).

ETA:

Found the answer on Twitter - Kaiya Ruiter's FS music is "Inspiration" by Florian Christi.
The Barrie event always has a livestream every year, so I assume it would not be any different this year, especially with Skate Ontario adding Star levels and Pre-Juvenile and Juvenile to this event, as they were never previously included in the competition :)

As for Gabby, this is the only qualifying competition for Junior/Seniors for sectionals, so it would be mandatory for her to compete unless she has an injury that is preventing her from skating (but she has posted videos online of her training so I think she is fine) or Skate Ontario gives her a bye for sectionals (an automatic qualification). But for her to get the bye, she would have had to compete at an international in substitute for this one and she has not.

honey

The Barrie event always has a livestream every year, so I assume it would not be any different this year, especially with Skate Ontario adding Star levels and Pre-Juvenile and Juvenile to this event, as they were never previously included in the competition :)

As for Gabby, this is the only qualifying competition for Junior/Seniors for sectionals, so it would be mandatory for her to compete unless she has an injury that is preventing her from skating (but she has posted videos online of her training so I think she is fine) or Skate Ontario gives her a bye for sectionals (an automatic qualification). But for her to get the bye, she would have had to compete at an international in substitute for this one and she has not.
Does two grand prix’s really not get one a bye through at least to Challenge? That seems…unnecessary if so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information