2022–23 Canadian Women: News and Updates

barbarafan

If I understand correctly, Shiryaeva moved to Vancouver from Russia, is not it so? Not being Canadian I just guess that there, in Vancouver, are not many options coaching wise (?) Perhaps parents choose what is available and the best for them in given circumstances. Nothing is static, though. everything is dynamic and things could change after a year or so.
Being around for many yrs. makes her well known and for the whole family to move to Canada would take lots of paperwork and waiting time to make it happen & to be able to enter the country. Intent etc. would be looked into. From what I read she will only compete internationally for Canada and Skate Canada has accepted her & sent papers to Russia....Russia will try to give them an answer in December. By the ban as she has not yet been released she is allowed to participate only in domestic competitions which are not counting for future international competitions. Therefore it will be a quite a while before she could skate for Canada internationally should Russia decide to release her...Good luck with that.....I really do not think the ISU should allow them to refuse the change. It should be one yr. after last competing for Russia with or without Russia agreeing.

Yyzskater

Technically, wouldn't she be able to compete in all domestic competitions including Sectionals, Challenge and Nationals?

Yyzskater

She's currently only allowed to compete in non-qualifying competitions.
I assume she can still compete as a guest. There have been several instances of skaters competing at Sectionals as guests in the past that don't count towards the qualifying spots. They just get scored for feedback, I guess?

barbarafan

Technically, wouldn't she be able to compete in all domestic competitions including Sectionals, Challenge and Nationals?
The wording was tricky...I found bits and pcs. but I believe the wording was she was ok for non-qualifying competitions. She last competed for Russia in January so Feb. 2023 would be the earliest she could compete for Canada but if could she cannot qualify for Cdn team then ????? Ted and Slipshuck know all the details. There is some kind of statement in one of these forums about what she is allowed to do. Feel free to find it let me know how you see it as it is not my area of expertise. In the meantime she is allowed to train and do some competitions so step in the right direction.

Yyzskater

Exciting either way that Canada went from a shallow pool in ladies skating to possibly one with 3 ultra-c's in the near future! Though I wonder what their development will be like now that she is training in Canada.

Also, I am assuming she is not able to get citizenship via descent or she would have stayed in Russia to train. To me, moving to Canada seems to show that she is trying to acquire citizenship through immigration with her parents. Does anyone know how long that takes these days?

Colonel Green

Also, I am assuming she is not able to get citizenship via descent or she would have stayed in Russia to train. To me, moving to Canada seems to show that she is trying to acquire citizenship through immigration with her parents. Does anyone know how long that takes these days?
It takes a while. But if she’s hoping to become an Olympic berth contender, she’d be seeking it via the s.5(4) route, which is what Kaitlyn, Piper and Liubov all used.

Yyzskater

It takes a while. But if she’s hoping to become an Olympic berth contender, she’d be seeking it via the s.5(4) route, which is what Kaitlyn, Piper and Liubov all used.
But since she is a child, perhaps her parents would just go the immigration route for the whole family? Also, to compete internationally (non-olympic), what is the residency rule? One year?

Colonel Green

But since she is a child, perhaps her parents would just go the immigration route for the whole family? Also, to compete internationally (non-olympic), what is the residency rule? One year?
It’s questionable whether the entire family could obtain citizenship in that timeframe, given YKW-related backlogs.

screech

If I understand correctly, Shiryaeva moved to Vancouver from Russia, is not it so? Not being Canadian I just guess that there, in Vancouver, are not many options coaching wise (?) Perhaps parents choose what is available and the best for them in given circumstances. Nothing is static, though. everything is dynamic and things could change after a year or so.
Though I don't know how he'd be as a coach, I'm kind of surprised a potential top skater wouldn't want to be the first 'big name' to claim Patrick Chan as their coach. Aren't he and Elizabeth now coaching in the Vancouver area?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Though I don't know how he'd be as a coach, I'm kind of surprised a potential top skater wouldn't want to be the first 'big name' to claim Patrick Chan as their coach. Aren't he and Elizabeth now coaching in the Vancouver area?

I don't think either of them have full-time jobs as coaches. They have done some seminars but AFAIK they aren't pursuing coaching as a permanent career just yet.

karmena

Oh, you are asking to me, I am not Canadian so I do not know. Have to be honest, I thought the same that one day perhaps Patrick will be on the scene as a coach. His skating skills are divine.

Sylvia

TBD
ICYMI, Patrick Chan had a very interesting podcast interview this past spring - link was posted in his fan thread:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/chantastic-the-return-of-patrick.96484/page-38#post-6251589

ETA:

Best wishes to Lia Pereira at her second JGP - she has arrived in Courchevel (beautiful sunny day!) and shared via her Instagram stories that she had an unofficial practice session (with David Li) earlier today: https://www.instagram.com/_lia.pereira/
Her updated ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111129.htm

Last edited:

Stephanie

Kara Yun has been assigned to JGP #1 in Gdansk Poland per the Skate Canada international assignments page. Also per this instagram post https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch2ljd5rbCR/?hl=en Hetty Shi will be at the second Gdansk JGP event. So only one spot remains. I will be curious to see if any new subs are listed when the ISU assignments for Gdansk #1 come out tomorrow.
Guessing this means that Fiona Bombardier will go to Egna

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Guessing this means that Fiona Bombardier will go to Egna
I agree, looking at the results from the NextGen competition, where Bombardier was fourth and hasn't been assigned yet. This was the main factor in assignments last season and appears to be the same for this season.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
And Madeline Schizas will be at Nebelhorn trophy (confirmed on the ISU list and Skate Canada's assignments page).

It will be interesting to see if Schumacher and Daleman get an assignment before Skate Canada International.

Hopefully some of the JGP skaters who are skating senior domestically will get one of the later challenger events (Pereira, Dupuis, Miclette). I'm not holding my breath that any other seniors will get assignments though I'd love to see Tobin and Medland-Spence out there.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It's interesting that Audréanne Foster and Rose Théroux are listed as subs for the first JGP in Gdansk (in addition to Hetty Shi who we know from social media has been assigned to the second JGP there). Both Foster and Théroux skated very well at the Quebec Summer Championships. It looks like Foster is skating senior domestically this year (she's registered in senior women at the Georges-Ethier). Would be great to see her get a senior international too. Fingers crossed!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Justine Miclette had a good skate today in Riga, scoring 57.85 and finishing 7th but only about 5 points behind third. Her first two jumps had -GOE (and her triple toe was under rotated in the combo), but despite that she did manage 32 points in TES, which is the senior worlds minimum (this is a junior event so it doesn't count for that). Hopefully she will be assigned to a challenger later this season. Here's to a good free skate tomorrow!

Here' s the video of her short program: https://youtu.be/Ngg8MMsFU5k

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Miclette did not have a great skate today, though she still set an ISU personal best for the free skate, and total score.

In other news Lia Pereira will make her senior international debut next month in Finlandia, per the Skate Canada international assignments page!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
They haven't updated the international assignments page yet, but generally they match what shows up on the ISU site. So I think Rose Théroux is being rewarded for her excellent showing at the Quebec Summer Championships that she won. It must be disappointing for Bombardier to be a sub for virtually every competition and not get an assignment. Maybe she'll get a challenger as I believe she is competing senior domestically (at least she was listed as senior on the Ontario sectionals list - though I see she's on the junior start list for the October competition so I'm not sure what she's doing).
If Ruiter is a sub I hope that means that whatever was keeping her out of competitions previously is behind her and she's ready and available to compete.

Yyzskater

They haven't updated the international assignments page yet, but generally they match what shows up on the ISU site. So I think Rose Théroux is being rewarded for her excellent showing at the Quebec Summer Championships that she won. It must be disappointing for Bombardier to be a sub for virtually every competition and not get an assignment. Maybe she'll get a challenger as I believe she is competing senior domestically (at least she was listed as senior on the Ontario sectionals list - though I see she's on the junior start list for the October competition so I'm not sure what she's doing).
If Ruiter is a sub I hope that means that whatever was keeping her out of competitions previously is behind her and she's ready and available to compete.
Unfortunately for Bombardier, she often seems to have issues putting it down when it counts.

Reveries

Interesting that Kaiya is listed as a sub for the Egna JGP.

https://results.isu.org/events/jgpita2022_JuniorWomen.htm

Hopefully this is a good sign Kaiya is able to compete again. She is listed to skate at a provincial competition in Alberta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information