2022–23 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

skategal

Bunny mama
It looks like Piper and her fiancé got married today!
I don’t think it’s today. I think that was last summer/fall in NS (he is from Joggins, NS area and they were here for a visit.)

In one of the broadcasts (it might have been GPF?) Carol Lane commented that it was a big year for Piper because she bought a house and got married.

I was :confused: and then thought maybe she meant engaged.

But yeah….I think she let the cat out of the bag. :lol:

Congrats Piper and hubby.

chantilly

It’s a shame since they improved so much. But Canadian ice dance is so crowded and I just think that they would be stuck around top 5 with the teams around and coming up.
Good luck to Haley finding a new partner though.
And good for Nik to go after another dream

Ena Grins

I didn't realize until now that Gauthier/Thieren were aging up next year. They have a lot of promise as a team and would probably have benefitted from another season on the JGP. Hoping they have a strong showing at Junior Worlds so they can go into their first senior season with confidence.

Colonel Green

Canada qualified to send two teams to the Youth Olympics again. After two consecutive fourth-place finishes, is this finally the time to win a medal? I’m not sure which teams will be eligible next season.

chantilly

How many points did B/B lose at Junior worlds?

When all was said and done they were quite behind.

I know M/M and L/Q had rocky seasons up to that point so I understand the scores they had up to worlds weren’t necessarily indicative of what they would normally receive skating clean.

But we’re B/B expected to get al least silver and challenge for gold?

angi

How many points did B/B lose at Junior worlds?

When all was said and done they were quite behind.

I know M/M and L/Q had rocky seasons up to that point so I understand the scores they had up to worlds weren’t necessarily indicative of what they would normally receive skating clean.

But we’re B/B expected to get al least silver and challenge for gold?
They lost quite a lot in the RD for the BV of the two parts of the pattern, to compare:
M/M - 11 points (max), L/Q - 9.5 points, B/H - 10.25 points, B/B - 7.5 points
They also got the lowest GOE for the patterns compared to the other three. Their midline step sequence also got the lowest GOE of the four teams.
In the FD they again got the lowest BV out of the top 4, but not by much and also he had a small error on the twizzles.
But in general, they looked (IMO) the least impressive out of the top 4 and their material felt the most dated to me. M/M, L/Q, and B/H laid out really strong performances and B/B came across as tight.

Sylvia

TBD
Jan. 6:
Wishing Piper a full recovery! 4CC may be out of the question, depending on the recovery time, but hopefully Piper & Paul will be in fine shape to compete @ Worlds. 🙏 🙏 🙏
Piper posted this video 2 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpgKUuPAZEN/
Training for worlds after having surgery has come with its challenges, but we’ve been putting the work in and things are right back where we want them to be. Some days have been harder than others but we’ve continued to believe in ourselves. Can’t wait to be back performing for all of you!! ❤️❤️

clairecloutier

Just wanted to share an interview that I did with Lajoie/Lagha at Four Continents:

They talk about their thoughts on their season, how they chose their programs, their regret at missing Worlds, their take on next year's 80s rhythm dance, and Zak's music fights with Romain :lol:.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Just wanted to share an interview that I did with Lajoie/Lagha at Four Continents:

They talk about their thoughts on their season, how they chose their programs, their regret at missing Worlds, their take on next year's 80s rhythm dance, and Zak's music fights with Romain :lol:.
Oh god, please do NOT skate to MJ next season. Romain I am counting on you.

clairecloutier

Here's an interview with Piper and Paul, which was actually done at the Grand Prix Final but only released now, by Florentina Tone for Inside Skating:

They talk a little bit more about how they found and developed their programs for this season.

Aaron MB Fan

Congrats to Paul & Piper on their second Bronze medal at the World Championships!! Though I'm sure they were hoping for even more with the earlier arch to their season and the GPF win, I am so proud of their ability to overcome Piper's appendectomy and recover to still medal.

But I can't help but think of what feels like the Canadian Ice Dance curse struck again, where anytime a team won the GPF, they went on to lose Worlds in the same season, or the opposite scenario happened. And the curse struck twice this season in both Senior and Junior Ice Dance :(. I think Virtue/Moir were the only exception to this in the 2016/17 season.

Winning GPF, Losing Worlds in the same season:
Gilles/Poirier (2022/23 season): 3rd at Worlds, 1st at GPF
Bashynska/Beaumont (2022/23 season): 3rd at Jr Worlds, 1st at Jr GPF
Weaver/Poje (2014/15 season): 3rd at Worlds, 1st at GPF
Weaver/Poje (2015/16 season): 5th at Worlds, 1st at GPF

Winning Worlds, Losing GPF in the same season:
Virtue/Moir (2011/12 season): 1st at Worlds, 2nd at GPF
Lajoie/Lagha (2018/19 season): 1st at Jr Worlds, 4th at Jr GPF

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information