2021/2022 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Kirsten's personal retirement message with a montage of clips: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cego7l5pGCU/

I’d like to take this opportunity to announce my retirement from competitive skating 🤍
I am filled with gratitude for having represented Canada internationally for 13 years. My career was filled with extreme highs and some tumultuous lows and it certainly wasn’t perfect; nor was I.
I hope to be remembered as a good teammate; as somebody who won with class and lost with dignity. Most of all, I hope you remember me as a fighter; for my performances, for my people, for what’s right. Even if it got me into trouble a time or two 😜

My eternal thanks go to my family; their constant support and sacrifice allowed me to live my dreams. To Beckey, for being the best friend there ever was; who felt every high and low with me. To Liam, for putting in all of the heavy lifting for the last four years; for always being able to make me laugh.
Thank you to our support staff for keeping us together physically and mentally. To Pat Magee, especially, for working so hard for us from anywhere in the world. To Jodie and Alexia, for reminding me what I deserve. To Skate Oakville, for the amazing support.
I am so grateful for my past coaches and partners. Thanks, Dylan Moscovitch for carrying me, literally, through the first half of my career. To Julie Marcotte, who is responsible for much of our growth as people and skaters. Our creation process will forever be some of my favourite memories. Mark Pillay was my first and last pair choreographer and a fantastic mentor.
There are not enough words to express my love, respect, and admiration for the coaching team that saw us through to the end. Thank you, Brian Shales for some of our most fun lessons. Most of all, to Bruno Marcotte and Alison Purkiss, for seeing me at my lowest and believing in me anyways; for caring about us as humans first, and athletes second. My career has been more enjoyable and worthwhile with them as coaches and mentors. Finally, it has been the honour of my life to skate with Mike; thank you for all that you are. I have no regrets, and will cherish the memories forever.
Thank you, fans and friends, for your support all these years. I’ll see you in the stands as I assume my new role as everybody’s #1 fan 🥰
I've honestly never been a huge KMT fan but this statement is lovely and :wuzrobbed

karmena

I am very glad Kirsten and Mike were on SOI, I think it helped Kirsten psychologically a lot- now she seems to be able to end her competitive career on a positive and bright note! all the unnecessary darkness has faded way.
Wish them both, Kirsten and Michael, to be happy in fruitful in all their future endeavours.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
Very nice statement from KMT. She will definitely be missed.

I hate to say it, but dumping Moscovitch in 2014 was a huge mistake. They could have very achieved great things together during the 2014-2018 quad. Marinaro's marginal improvement the past 8 years was disappointing, to be frank, although I do wish him the best.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
She also did Walsh/Michaud's LP last season.

I don't think that's a selling feature... but Carol & Juris can only do so much... :shuffle:

Very nice statement from KMT. She will definitely be missed.

I hate to say it, but dumping Moscovitch in 2014 was a huge mistake. They could have very achieved great things together during the 2014-2018 quad. Marinaro's marginal improvement the past 8 years was disappointing, to be frank, although I do wish him the best.

I still think she made the best decision at the time, especially considering the injuries/etc that Dylan himself face. Without that split, we never would have had Lyubov compete in Canada. And while Dylan seems like a wonderful, stable guy to have as a partner, their working relationship at the time clearly wasn't its best, which would have exasperated issues KMT continued to face this last quad.

I'm sad because I have always thought KMT had more potential than she was able to produce, but I'm happy she can retire on her terms from a solid career with accomplishments she can be proud of.

But... am I blind, or did she not say boo about the Wirtzes? :lol:

karmena

She thanked all her past coaches and partners, if you read her post....
Yes, of course, I read :) it. It was heartfeltly written statement.

Ok, will delete my post- it was simply spontaneous reply to the previous poster. Maybe I misunderstood something (?) - I am not Canadian, so I do not know anything from the inside anyway. Perhaps there was some deeper meaning which I could not grasp.

nyrak

I'm sad because I have always thought KMT had more potential than she was able to produce, but I'm happy she can retire on her terms from a solid career with accomplishments she can be proud of.

But... am I blind, or did she not say boo about the Wirtzes? :lol:

You have to read what she said, and what she didn't say to get her comment on the Wirtzes ;)

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Patinage Quebec's Équipes Excellence-A-NextGen-B Couple [Pairs] 2022-2023 combined list as of 5/18/22: https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Athletes-B_Site-Internet_2022-2023-V4.pdf

Vanessa James & Eric Radford [Julie Marcotte]
Deanna Stellato & Maxime Deschamps [Ian Connolly]
Lori Ann Matte & Thierry Ferland [Julie Marcotte]
Kelly Ann Laurin & Loucas Ethier [Stéphanie Valois]
Emmanuelle Proft & Nicolas Nadeau (NEW) [Stéphanie Valois]
Élizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot & Daniel Villeneuve [Ian Connolly]
Émy Carignan & Bryan Pierro [Ian Connolly]
Stellato/Deschamps [S3 at Nationals] & Matte/Ferland [S4] are the only 2 pairs listed in Équipe Excellence as of June 7: https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/1.Athletes-Excellence_2022-2023.pdf

With James/Radford's names no longer listed in the ISU World Standings list (updated today for 2022-23), it appears they are planning to retire (awaiting word from them or Skate Canada).

ETA:

Patinage Quebec Team B:
Kelly Ann Laurin & Loucas Ethier [S6]
Emmanuelle Proft & Nicolas Nadeau (NEW)
Élizabeth Thibodeau-Mailhot & Daniel Villeneuve [J6]

PQ Team NextGen: Émy Carignan & Bryan Pierro [J3]

There are 4 pairs on the 2022-23 NextGen Team: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2022-23-skate-canada-nextgen-team.109695/
Ava Kemp/Yohnatan Elizarov [N1]
Lily Napier/Joshua Dore [N2]
Chloe Panetta/Kieran Thrasher [J4/WJC7]
Ashlyn Schmitz/Tristan Taylor [J7]

Last edited:

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
I just posted this in the Pairs discussion thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/pairs-discussion-thread-2021-22.108538/page-9#post-6269727

Edited version for this thread:
Oakville, Ontario looks to be quite busy so far this summer! ... Panetta & Thrasher and the new teams of Zabiiako & Daleman (first sighting of them on the ice together on social media?), Tilda Alteryd & Gabriel Farand (she's Swedish and announced their partnership back in early February - I heard they will skate for CAN) ... in this group pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfNACwuOMif/
India's Nishchay Luthra is also tagged (he was on IPS but is no longer listed) and Cassandra Leung (Junior at 2020 Canadians with Paxton Fletcher) could be a new team.
Alteryd had paired with Paxton Fletcher last year but they didn't compete, AFAIK. Fletcher will begin rehearsals in Holiday on Ice's Supernova tour at the end of the year: https://www.instagram.com/p/CeUpBn0J8Zm/
ETA:
Brooke Mcintosh’s younger sister Summer was incredible at her world events in swimming, really hoping we’ll be Brooke with the same results this season in skating teamMcintoshsisters
I just posted an article about Summer's amazing accomplishments at worlds in Budapest:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information