2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The more skaters with ISU minimums, the more competition for those teams. And maybe the long term benefit from that increased competition will exceed the "loss" of sending someone out to international events who never ends up developing a 3z.

But if you are going to require a specific element, make it a 3-3 or a 2-3 combo. Having a steady combo with a 3 as 2nd jump is more important than a 3z. Love, Zhenya M.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Skate Canada has posted the women's podium from challenge on their social media, so feel free to reply how well Tobin has done this year and that she deserves an international assignment.

Vase

If anything these pandemic times have shown us that no matter the age and ability shown athletes are capable of learning more.
I am glad to see Tobin on the podium just as I’m pleased for Maddie to have figured out the jumps and continues to push herself.
Young talent is nice to see but also maybe not the answer (holding out and waiting/putting all eggs in one basket) to expanding Canadas talent, I’d like to see more opportunities given to athletes across all Disciplines in the sport.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
So, I'm just going to pop in here and state, after yesterday's abysmal SP results from the 3 Canadian pairs at Golden Spin, those who are irritated at Skate Canada for sending those pairs teams over to compete while not sending a single woman who needs TES mins to the same event, have good reason to question the good judgment of the federation. Would it really have been too big a dent on the budget to have sent at least one Canadian woman to Golden Spin?

puglover

I was talking with my DIL last night about the state of Canadian skating. She, like me, expected a significant dip in results following the retirement of the 2014 "dream team". For years, Mike Slipchuk has spoken of the need to build a strong second tier ready to step up but for the most part they seem to have been unsuccessful. I know bad luck, unforeseen circumstances have played a part in this latest "slump" but this is starting to feel more like a trend than a phase. I say this, with huge respect for the dedicated young skaters and coaches who have battled covid restrictions, lack of competition among so many other things and are trying their darndest. I just wonder where we go from here. This feels systemic. I would love to hear of SC holding forums with skaters and coaches around the country and having open dialogues into problems and solutions. Do we just need to keep plugging along or are changes needed? Sorry to hijack this thread.

skategal

Bunny mama
So, I'm just going to pop in here and state, after yesterday's abysmal SP results from the 3 Canadian pairs at Golden Spin, those who are irritated at Skate Canada for sending those pairs teams over to compete while not sending a single woman who needs TES mins to the same event, have good reason to question the good judgment of the federation. Would it really have been too big a dent on the budget to have sent at least one Canadian woman to Golden Spin?
I’m not saying I agree with the reasoning but it’s probably that Skate Canada knows who is getting the women’s berth to Olympics (Maddie) but not who the 2 pairs will be so are giving them another head-to-head.

I agree it’s short sighted though not to send another woman.

Vase

IMO Maddie deserves the Olympic spot, she’s pushed through the challenges all skaters have been dealing with and shown success.
As for pairs I’m mixed, W/M have put in 4yrs and accomplished scores to be in the top of Canadian ranks, C/R are fresh faces and MTM were always consistent and the stars but they all have pretty much had the same results making this a hard decision for SC.
Maybe they’ll give skate fans a surprise and give a spot to one who shows longevity in the sport and would benefit from the experience

screech

Pairs is going to be very interesting. W/M normally peak for Canadians and Worlds. I have no idea what 2 pairs to expect - IMO even J/R are not a 100% lock.

I'm about 92% sure Madeline will get the ladies spot. However, though she's on her 486th chance, you never know what Gabby could potentially pull out. If she wins Canadians by a large margin, I could see them sending her, but only in that case, or if Madeline somehow doesn't even podium.

skategal

Bunny mama
Pairs is going to be very interesting. W/M normally peak for Canadians and Worlds. I have no idea what 2 pairs to expect - IMO even J/R are not a 100% lock.

I'm about 92% sure Madeline will get the ladies spot. However, though she's on her 486th chance, you never know what Gabby could potentially pull out. If she wins Canadians by a large margin, I could see them sending her, but only in that case, or if Madeline somehow doesn't even podium.
I agree. Pairs will be nuts.

We have a pair who can’t find their mojo yet (MT/M) vs a pair who is running out of time to make a mark (J/R) vs a pair who peak at Nationals (W/M) vs a pair who is skating well but don’t qualify for Olympics (S/D). :yikes:

puglover

And that kind of sums it up!

We have a pair who can’t find their mojo yet (MT/M) vs a pair who is running out of time to make a mark (J/R) vs a pair who peak at Nationals (W/M) vs a pair who is skating well but don’t qualify for Olympics (S/D). :yikes:

Seerek

The thing is - Schizas was so far down the SC pecking order at the beginning of the Olympic cycle even in Juniors, behind not only Cotop, Bausback and Schumacher, but also Dawson, Blanchard, Bulawka, Orzel, Gran and on and on and on ...

I wonder what did SC not see in her, or did her club/coaches not have the "pull" of the others?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I think lack of triple lutz (yes, she has it now) is enough to have Canada completely ignore you until you start winning everything. One day there's going to be a ladies skater with a 3axel and quads that can't land a 3lutz and then maybe they will think about abandoning that ridiculous rule.

I will say that Schizas had the great misfortune of starting her real success in early 2020, right before the "clovide-19 pawndermic" got going. What is pretty ridiculous is her winning silver in juniors in 2019 and getting only 1 international that whole year. Interesting that Reagan Scott won bronze and finished only 0.1 point behind Madeline, and then went absolutely nowhere in the sport afterwards. Sure is funny how things play out eh?

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Because of a couple of deleted posts yesterday which were made right after people started wondering why Kaiya wasn't competing at Challenge - they were worded in a way that implied her vaccination status was an issue. It was gross and inappropriate and several of us tried to shut down the speculation but once it was put out there, some people here leaped to a conclusion and responded as if it were fact rather than mere scuttlebutt.
And that is his it goes.

Sylvia

TBD
I will say that Schizas had the great misfortune of starting her real success in early 2020, right before the "clovide-19 pawndermic" got going. What is pretty ridiculous is her winning silver in juniors in 2019 and getting only 1 international that whole year. Interesting that Reagan Scott won bronze and finished only 0.1 point behind Madeline, and then went absolutely nowhere in the sport afterwards. Sure is funny how things play out eh?
Well, many skaters peak before senior level and so winning a junior national medal (Scott previously competed in the U.S. qualifying system) is still a notable achievement in itself. :)

ETA: And who's to say that Schizas' "great misfortune" didn't benefit her more in the end? ;)

puglover

I agree it is hard to say what benefits or hinders a skater. i recall 2012 Skate Canada where there was a lot of hype going in about Gracie Gold who had success as a junior skater and very little about Kaetlyn Osmond who, I believe, were both making their senior debut. Kaetlyn won the event and Gracie finished seventh. They are obviously very different people and skaters but I couldn't help but wonder if Gracie was a victim of high expectations before she had a chance.

AxelAnnie

I know it is crazy, but my money would be on S/D. I suspect that given how nuts the season has been, results are all over the place. I would go with who is skating well now.

Colonel Green

I think lack of triple lutz (yes, she has it now) is enough to have Canada completely ignore you until you start winning everything. One day there's going to be a ladies skater with a 3axel and quads that can't land a 3lutz and then maybe they will think about abandoning that ridiculous rule.
The 3Lz thing is a recent requirement, not a longstanding one; there were many women getting assignments without a 3Lz until relatively recently. It's a belated attempt to push the technical level.

But in general, yes, Schizas' technical level was not high until quite recently. Not only was she missing the Lutz, she only did one triple flip across two programs (it remains her weakest jump). I don't have a hard time understanding why she ended up missing junior assignments in the early years. She really started to accelerate right at the point where YKW shut everything down.

greenapple

A triple Lutz was required even for junior events last season so it is not "recent." Schizas said in a May 2020 interview she had to learn that jump to get a JGP assignment - which at the time was where her focus was.

Colonel Green

A triple Lutz was required even for junior events last season so it is not "recent." Schizas said in a May 2020 interview she had to learn that jump to get a JGP assignment - which at the time was where her focus was.
I consider last season to be recent; it was not a requirement much earlier than that, based on who was getting assignments.

AxelAnnie

Yes, but they can't go to the Olympics.
I would put money on Stellato & Deschamps going to 4CC and I think the odds are high that they go to Worlds.
Drat! Is the problem citizenship? Canada could approve her (like we did with Belbin :)

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Yes, but they can't go to the Olympics.
I would put money on Stellato & Deschamps going to 4CC and I think the odds are high that they go to Worlds.

Statistically there is actually 100% chance that they go to 4CC (assuming they don't turn it down or something) since only 5 pairs have the minimums and 2 of those are going to Olympics.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Michelle Long got engaged during a recent trip to New York.

Sylvia

TBD
Pj Kwong hosted a live chat on Skate Ontario's FB earlier today and Maddie Schizas was the guest (appears after the 9-min. mark):
ETA link to the YT version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZWBgU5hDZs

Last edited:

screech

Well Madeline was definitely in a class of her own in the SP - almost 13 points separating her from second. Even if she has a terrible FP, it's clear that she's the one who should be going to the Olympics.

It will be a very interesting competition to see who makes the 4CC team and who is named Olympics alternate, since there's currently only 6 points separating 2nd and 8th

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information