2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

Jonas

Sorry if I'm late to the party: is Skate Canada NOT considering Kaiya Reuter for the Olympics even if she wins Nationals?? :eek: (I'm assuming she's competing senior this year.) Comparing Schizas's Finlandia performances w/Reuter's JGP performances, my money would be on Reuter. Reuter, perhaps, skates smaller, but, IMO, she skates cleaner and is more aesthetically pleasing.

My point is that I hope Skate Canada makes this a two lefty race for that Olympic spot!! It can only make both ladies hungrier!

Your thoughts...

Colonel Green

Sorry if I'm late to the party: is Skate Canada NOT considering Kaiya Reuter for the Olympics even if she wins Nationals?? :eek: (I'm assuming she's competing senior this year.) Comparing Schizas's Finlandia performances w/Reuter's JGP performances, my money would be on Reuter. Reuter, perhaps, skates smaller, but, IMO, she skates cleaner and is more aesthetically pleasing.

My point is that I hope Skate Canada makes this a two lefty race for that Olympic spot!! It can only make both ladies hungrier!

Your thoughts...
Reportedly there are behind the scenes issues that may keep Ruiter from competing much this year.

Jonas

Reportedly there are behind the scenes issues that may keep Ruiter from competing much this year.
I wonder what those issues are. Seems hella foolish to me to prevent her from movin' on up when she, more so than most of her countrywomen, is ready to contend with the big girls.

Jammers

Skate Canada is going to look like morons if Kaiya wins Nationals and not only can't go to the Olympics because she wasn't sent out to get the minimums but can't even go to something like 4CC. Way to build for the future.

Sylvia

TBD
We don't even know yet if Kaiya will be at Canadian Nationals.

Except the issues could be personal.
Right, and we fans don't have the right to know more if that's the case.

Posted in this thread on Sept. 18:
I would think of Kaiya for next cycle. Love what we saw from her this year. There are some issues behind the scenes (nothing overly tragic, but...). Might just see her at Nationals - maybe Challenge - and call it a season unless some things get resolved. Lots to look forward to from her, though. Maddie needs to get 2 spots so we can get her and Kaiya to world's for the whole next cycle and I'd be good!

Last edited:

screech

I don't necessarily think she has the best voice for commentating, but good for her. It's interesting to me that Kevin Reynolds is the choice for men, and I love that Kaitlyn is the choice for dance - she was FANTASTIC when she hosted that online event last year. Not particularly looking forward to Meagan for pairs, though her technical knowledge will be interesting to hear.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I don't necessarily think she has the best voice for commentating, but good for her. It's interesting to me that Kevin Reynolds is the choice for men, and I love that Kaitlyn is the choice for dance - she was FANTASTIC when she hosted that online event last year. Not particularly looking forward to Meagan for pairs, though her technical knowledge will be interesting to hear.
Weaver is fantastic and has a way with words. Osmond not so much, she seems more like someone you would sit next to and chit chat about the skating. Commentating isn't an easy skill.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Interesting opinions on commenting. I admire and like Kaitlyn as a person and skater but I thought she was pretty much useless when she commentated with Reynolds. She didn't really offer any insights into the technical aspects of ice dance like Meagan does for pairs. I hope Kaitlyn has heard some of the criticism back then and will be more prepared AND informative this time because in general she showed a lot of promise in other things she has done online (ie. that fundraiser).

honey

I too am a little surprised Kaetlyn is going to do commentary. She always seemed incredibly nervous and uncomfortable when being interviewed. I would say the same about Patrick Chan. Love them both, but I’m not sure speaking engagements are either’s strength.

To say the least, my expectations are on the floor for how this will go. But since I think on the stream they will likely take the Ted approach of not talking until the program is done, I’m not that concerned. If it’s truly horrendous the mute button is always an option after the program is done.

Colonel Green

I too am a little surprised Kaetlyn is going to do commentary. She always seemed incredibly nervous and uncomfortable when being interviewed. I would say the same about Patrick Chan. Love them both, but I’m not sure speaking engagements are either’s strength.
Kaetlyn is training to be a journalist, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's worked on this sort of thing (commentary being one of the more obvious ways she could make money in that field).

Desperado

I was impressed with Ryan Kevin Reynolds commenting a few weeks ago. He has a really good voice for this type of work. Meagan was also good and super diplomatic commenting on J&R - maybe too much so. :D

Last edited:

quartz

scratching at the light
Kevin? Yes, I found his voice quite pleasant, he just needs to work on a greater repertoire of actual things to say.
I like Meagan too, also a good voice and we know she never has a shortage of things to say! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information