2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships will return to Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina

VGThuy

Better than Madison Square Garden I hear. They got rid of the water fountains apparently.

acraven

I asked about water bottles at the main rink and didn't get a definitive answer. I gather that an empty water bottle is more likely to make it past the screeners than a filled bottle. Outside food and drink is prohibited.

I was told my (not small) tote was fine, so if my door guardian was well-informed, they won't be picky about reasonable-size purses and totes.

They are concerned about weapons and spectators will walk through a metal detector.

Joubabe

Has anyone been to the main rink yet? I'm wondering how cold it is. I'll be heading to Florida from Greensboro and was hoping to leave my heaviest jackets and boots at home.

acraven

We're down near the ice and don't find it particularly cold. However, my standard practice is to wear long johns under my (non-wool) slacks, and I wear a heavy wool jacket. I haven't needed to wear my down coat. I'm wearing short boot-like shoes with a warm lining.

Experience at prior Nationals has taught me that conditions in the arena can change over the course of the week. It will be colder in the morning and during lightly-attended events, and sometimes it seems that a door has been opened, and you'll feel a sudden draft.

Last edited:

Joubabe

We're down near the ice and don't find it particularly cold. However, my standard practice is to wear long johns under my (non-wool) slacks, and I wear a heavy wool jacket. I haven't needed to wear my down coat. I'm wewring short oot'likeshoes with a warm lining.

Experience at priorNationals has taught me that conxitions in the arena can change over the course of the week. It will be colder in the morning and during lightly-attended events, and sometimes it seems that a door has been opened, and you'll feel a sudden draft.

Thanks so much, acraven!

DreamSkates

Has anyone been to the main rink yet? I'm wondering how cold it is. I'll be heading to Florida from Greensboro and was hoping to leave my heaviest jackets and boots at home.
The last 2 times there I had a winter coat but mainly around my shoulders and I was 12 rows up from the ice.

Yuri

I am also interested in the main rink conditions for temperature, all of my single tickets are in rows CC-JJ within the first 10 rows but mostly in the corners (where the first row isn't all the way down to ice level).

Also how strict are they on the size of the tote bags, I have a clear NFL bag that is about the size of the 8x8x10 inches but would prefer a larger cloth tote bag to easily carry the program, etc.

Do they clear the arena between the back-to-back events like the Senior Pairs and Ladies on Thursday when each admission is separate? Since I am attending with single tickets in various parts of the arena, not All Event as I have in the old days, I was wondering how event security generally handles these things in past Greensboro US Nationals.

Moto Guzzi

We're in row KK and I was a little chilly in my long, insulated coat but I'm more sensitive to cold than I used to be. I wasn't uncomfortable but I wished I had had on an extra layer.

Also how strict are they on the size of the tote bags, I have a clear NFL bag that is about the size of the 8x8x10 inches but would prefer a larger cloth tote bag to easily carry the program, etc.
I carried my Worlds 2003 bag that is large enough to hold my program and other things. At the first event, they barely glanced inside it. When we came back for Junior Dance, they didn't even look inside it. I was successful in hiding a bottle of water and some snacks in my bag and coat pockets. Water is $4; that's the cheapest drink.

acraven

According to the staffer at the USFS booth, there will be no technical broadcasts (via Skate Radio or the web) at this Nationals. They had so many technical problems last year that they're going to make changes. I put in a plug for making the new broadcasts accessible on Android as well as Apple devices.

I asked about availability at Skate America and was not given a definite "No".

acraven

Food Sources:

Pickings are going to be slim in the arena even when everything is open. Right now I'm just seeing hotdogs, cheeseburgers, and chicken nuggets. At some point we should have barbecue pretty good last time we were here) and carved turkey sandwiches.

Reports and promo materials indicate that the FanFest (under same roof but outside arena) has wraps, salads, soup, panini and something hot. Meatloaf and pasta have been mentioned; it may be just one hot item each day. I haven't had time to go over there yet. FanFest may not be open far into in the evening (hours vary by day), so probably better as a lunch option. It will not be open on Sunday.

Outside the complex but nearby on the corner of West Gate City Blvd and Ellington is a Middle Eastern fast-food spot called Ghassan's. The menu is limited but three of us enjoyed our food. The offerings include falafel and what seemed to be an all-vegetarian mezze plate.

DreamSkates

Food Sources:

Pickings are going to be slim in the arena even when everything is open. Right now I'm just seeing hotdogs, cheeseburgers, and chicken nuggets. At some point we should have barbecue pretty good last time we were here) and carved turkey sandwiches.

Reports and promo materials indicate that the FanFest (under same roof but outside arena) has wraps, salads, soup, panini and something hot. Meatloaf and pasta have been mentioned; it may be just one hot item each day. I haven't had time to go over there yet. FanFest may not be open far into in the evening (hours vary by day), so probably better as a lunch option. It will not be open on Sunday.

Outside the complex but nearby on the corner of West Gate City Blvd and Ellington is a Middle Eastern fast-food spot called Ghassan's. The menu is limited but three of us enjoyed our food. The offerings include falafel and what seemed to be an all-vegetarian mezze plate.
There is an Olive Garden further down West Gate City Blvd (@ 2 minute drive). There is a small Thai Kitchen that doesn't look like much but inside there are a few tables and very good food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information