2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I'm really starting to love W/M. I hope they keep proving all the naysayers wrong.

(But... am I allowed to ask how they are in the same room during quarantine? Last time I checked, these two were not an off-ice couple, so...? I know it's not actually illegal or anything in most Canadian provinces to visit people outside your household, but it has been highly discouraged. Not judging at all, though; just wondering.)
A number of pairs/dancers have moved in together so that they can train without needing to socially distance, for example Brandon Frazier moved in with the Knierims, and Hawayek/Baker have too, I believe.

Aaron MB Fan

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but it was such a nice surprise to see this familiar face in Dylan as the model being featured in Goodlife Fitness' marketing (email, social media) around their re-opening! Goodlife is the largest Fitness chain in Canada and 4th biggest in the world I believe.

skylark

That seems to me like a smart move to continue training in these uncertain times

In the FS program to benefit health care workers, Timothy LeDuc said that as soon as Worlds was canceled, he and Ashley made a plan for how to continue and advance their training together. Ashley's IG has shown them working together on new lifts, new choreo. I think he lives in the same town, with all his gorgeous plants! ... and Ashley and her husband may be the only people he came into contact with up until recently. Now they're back on ice, in a very restricted way. (It's Texas.) Apologies for intruding US skaters in Canadian thread. :) I think I heard (maybe here?) that Deanna and Maxime have found ways to train together as well.

aftershocks

Banned Member
So did Deanna's husband move to Canada with her? I'm glad to hear that Deanna & Maxime have found ways to continue training together. :)

skylark

So did Deanna's husband move to Canada with her? I'm glad to hear that Deanna & Maxime have found ways to continue training together. :)
I read somewhere that they were training together, but I didn't keep the reference so I'm not 100% sure. But it sounds like Deanna not to let a pandemic stop her from doing whatever she needs to do!

I'm not sure that Deanna's husband ever moved to Florida with her, when she skated with Nate. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If that's the case, I'd expect the long-distance marriage to continue. And Chicago is closer to Toronto than Florida, by a long shot. When international borders are open, Deanna and Mr. Deanna may have an easier time. :)

p.s. Does anyone else remember the Blair Brown/John Belushi movie Continental Divide? About a city boy falling in love with a Ranger (I think) in the Rockies?

Erin

Banned Member
I'm not sure that Deanna's husband ever moved to Florida with her, when she skated with Nate. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If that's the case, I'd expect the long-distance marriage to continue. And Chicago is closer to Toronto than Florida, by a long shot. When international borders are open, Deanna and Mr. Deanna may have an easier time. :)

Is Deanna even married anymore? She dropped Dudek from her name last season and was back to just Stellato.

skylark

Is Deanna even married anymore? She dropped Dudek from her name last season and was back to just Stellato.
I'm not sure of that either. I don't think I've ever heard Deanna talk about her marriage. But she could have just found it easier to drop the "Dudek," or liked the sound of it better without, or any number of things.

OT, but I thought it was funny when Aljona Savchenko was asked (in Volosozhar's interview with her) about the baby's name, she said she'd never changed her name when she got married ... "too much paperwork"!

Sylvia

TBD
Walsh/Michaud article by Ryan Pyette with quotes from Evelyn:
Excerpts:
Socially distant pair skating takes some getting used to.
“It’s weird because you’re always encouraged to be as close to each other as possible,” Evelyn Walsh said this week, “and now, it’s the complete opposite. We have to keep six feet apart, not just from each other, but everyone else on the ice.
“It feels like you’re always yelling to everyone.”
“At first, we heard a lot of people were finding ice in Toronto for really high prices, like $350 an hour,” Walsh said. “Then, you have to weigh out is this worth it if your season’s not going to start until January or if you’re even having a season at all. Ali (Purkiss) worked hard to find affordable ice and it was kind of an exciting process. It wasn’t handed to us, there was an anticipated lead-up and it didn’t take that long to find.”
For now, they’ve looking at possible choreographers and doing a ton of off-ice dance classes.

“You can only work with what you’re given,” she said. “Trennt’s been really nice in that he’s well-known for being positive and always finding that in things. As much as he’s a partner, he’s one of my best friends and we’re in this together and feeling the same emotions.”

Sylvia

TBD
PATINAGE QUEBEC has published their teams on their website here: https://patinage.qc.ca/developpement/

Équipe Excellence (2):
Camille Ruest & Andrew Wolfe / Senior / Richard Gauthier
Lori-Ann Matte & Thierry Ferland / Senior / Richard Gauthier

Équipe A (1):
Kelly Ann Laurin & Loucas Éthier / Junior / Yvan Desjardins

Équipe B (5):
Deanna Stellato & Maxime Deschamps / Ian Connolly
Natasha Purich & Bryce Chudak / Annabelle & Cody Hay
Emy Carignan & Bryan Pierro / Ian Connolly
Esther Feinberg & Alexandre Simard / Yvan Desjardins
Rafaëlle Nadeau & David Riccio / Jean-Marc Babin

Catherine M

Seeing if anyone has an update on the following now that the rinks have been open for a few weeks up in Canada:

Justine Brasseur
Pier-Alexandre Hudon
Chloe Choinard--see that she's no longer listing Skate Austria on her Instagram page. Is she going to look for a partner and skate for Canada again?
Nadine Wang & Francis Boudreau-Audet--are they still together?

Thanks!

cgh_11

Seeing if anyone has an update on the following now that the rinks have been open for a few weeks up in Canada:

Justine Brasseur
Pier-Alexandre Hudon
Chloe Choinard--see that she's no longer listing Skate Austria on her Instagram page. Is she going to look for a partner and skate for Canada again?
Nadine Wang & Francis Boudreau-Audet--are they still together?

Thanks!
Or any skating updates on Mark Bardai or Lubov?

Colonel Green

They’re evidently not letting the time away from the ice slow them down too much. Impressive indeed.

Shame for them there’s unlikely to be much of a junior season at this rate, but I guess that just means more time to prepare for whenever a debut eventually comes.

Colonel Green

Hasn't been anything public about Patricia, that I've seen.

Interesting. I’d noticed Justine popped up on Instagram in some of KMT’s posts and wondered if she’d left Montreal.
Chloe Panetta also seems to be Ontario.

There's been a whole series of moves in recent years that really lend Quebec's pairs program the aura of an institution being stripped for parts.

Xsktrx

What happened to Patricia Andrew and Zackary's partnership? Is Patricia still skating?
I believe Patricia is still skating but have no idea if she’s still looking to do pairs. As for Zach and Justine this could be interesting. Justine brings more maturity and better jumping to the pair than Patricia, but not sure it’s a step up in the throw department. Granted Patricia only had a throw triple sal with any consistency but Justine has in recent years struggled with all triple throws. Hopefully the new partnership and move to Bruno can help that element become consistent. If so they could be quite good. Hopefully for Zach this works out given I believe this is his 4th different partner in 4 years. It would be nice if this partnership sticks so they can work on the timing etc that comes with multiple seasons together.

Colonel Green

Justine brings more maturity and better jumping to the pair than Patricia, but not sure it’s a step up in the throw department. Granted Patricia only had a throw triple sal with any consistency but Justine has in recent years struggled with all triple throws.
With Mark it seemed like part of Justine's problem was how big his throws were; Zach might be more manageable for her in that area.

Xsktrx

With Mark it seemed like part of Justine's problem was how big his throws were; Zach might be more manageable for her in that area.
Good point. Maybe with initially smaller throws she will gain confidence and larger ones will come in time. I like the possibilities for this pair. Like McIntosh and Mirmar unfortunate for these interesting new partnerships to form in a season where there may be little to no opportunity to showcase their development. Let’s hope somehow we get to see our Canadian pairs compete in some way this year, even if only within the province or country and even if without fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information