2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

Janbo

go big or go home.
That would require us most of us responding to have been interested enough to actually read his book. :shuffle:

Now that you shed the light on that; that’s pretty despicable of him. I mean glad it worked out for him and all, but it’s still underhanded and cowardly. It was the smart thing to do for his benefit, but it’s far from admirable.

You ever go on a job interview that your at the time coworkers knew nothing about? It's not the looking for another workmate that's the issue. It's how respectfully and gratefully you you leave the former.

VGThuy

You ever go on a job interview that your at the time coworkers knew nothing about? It's not the looking for another workmate that's the issue. It's how respectfully and gratefully you you leave the former.

I’ve addressed all of that in all of the subsequent posts that have quoted/responded to me.

Seerek

It's interesting how a new teaming can change the look of a partner. Eric, with Kirkland, reminded me of Anton Sikharulidze, Maxim Trankov or Sergei Grinkov. With Duhamel, his style was more like Alexander Zaitzev or Oleg Makarov.

Bit of an aside, but Rachel Kirkland's post skating career has been quite eventful, currently with the Office of International Affairs of the Federal Health Portfolio after obtaining her Masters of Public Health last year.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Bit of an aside, but Rachel Kirkland's post skating career has been quite eventful, currently with the Office of International Affairs of the Federal Health Portfolio after obtaining her Masters of Public Health last year.

Damn, good on her.

Eric & Rachel trained with Aliona & Robin under Ingo-- I remember still being hopeful about their potential in 2008. They were so lovely. Alas.

karmena

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but I made a video edit for Lubov: https://youtu.be/Yp2b4tYxmu8

Good job, Mad for Skating.
Perhaps you could make a video for Julianne, too (?)

After reading Alvyne's (post #61) English translation of article where Charlie explains why he decided to retire , I thought, oh, finally there will be some conclusion for Julianne. He said quite a few good words about her but I cannot find that part on the translation anymore. Seems to me it is edited.

barbarafan

After reading Alvyne's (post #61) English translation of article where Charlie explains why he decided to retire , I thought, oh, finally there will be some conclusion for Julianne. He said quite a few good words about her but I cannot find that part on the translation anymore. Seems to me it is edited.
It is still in post #61

Mad for Skating

Thank-you so much....It is beautiful. I hope you sent it to her.

Thank you so much! I’m going to send it to her tonight :)

Thank you! I would love to make a video for Julianne - she’s awesome! I have several video edits of other skaters lined up for my channel (I’m making a Duhamel/Radford one right now), but I would like make one for Julianne once those are finished!

barbarafan

Here is Julianne as a singles skater, competing at 4CC in 2013, where she placed 11th. The Brit Eurosport guys have a lot of nice things to say about her:

The first time I saw Julianne skate was on the JGP at some weird hour of the morning. She had not been skating that long but she attacked that program...did fall...but got up and attacked it harder.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Did Seguin ever consider going back to singles after Bilodeau ended the partnership? (That we know of I mean). And has she officially retired or is she still potentially going to come back?

skatingguy

decently
Did Seguin ever consider going back to singles after Bilodeau ended the partnership? (That we know of I mean). And has she officially retired or is she still potentially going to come back?
I don't think there's been much of any news since the end of 2018, early 2019. She hasn't competed singles since 2015, and her better chance to compete at a high level is pairs, so I would think that if she is continuing to train that her best bet is to find a new partner.

dramagrrl

Actually, given the state of Canadian ladies skating right now, if she could get back a solid triple lutz (which seemed to be one of her better jumps in singles), she might do fairly decently at the national level, at least. (I have no idea about her health or if she is even considering returning to competition; just speaking theoretically.)

chantilly

Actually, given the state of Canadian ladies skating right now, if she could get back a solid triple lutz (which seemed to be one of her better jumps in singles), she might do fairly decently at the national level, at least. (I have no idea about her health or if she is even considering returning to competition; just speaking theoretically.)
Maybe nationally, but without a solid, consistent triple triple, as well as all the other triples and spins etc she’d struggle to qualify for the FP at worlds.

Her best bet is pairs.

Could she skate for France?

Does anyone have any intel why she seemed to just stop after Charlie left her? I know there were concussion issues, but she seems to just stop all together.

Rock2

I probably sound like a broken record on this, but what I heard was that the concussion issues were basically why she stopped. Which also would preclude a singles career.

Concussion and the personal crisis of what happened to her career. She was approached by pair boys who are still on the scene subsequent to her split but I'm told her answer included comments on not feeling she was ready to commit and didn't want to rush into a decision just to get back into pairs. Needed some time.

Not sure what her plans or interest level is now.

Rock2

I'd be shocked if a partnership with Bardei is not explored. So many things factor into such a decision but you have to think they'd have some similar techniques growing up in Eastern Europe and I have to think it would be a good body line match. At least reasonable potential for that.

I think both would prefer to be in Ontario, too. Few language barriers, more opportunity for side employment.

Downside? His paperwork hasn't been started. Olympics not possible...this cycle at least. Might have to go on the Stellato plan. #2026

As for other options for her, we have no idea where skating is headed over the next while. We could see more pairs dissolving if someone on the team wants to move on like Charlie did. A solid pair boy could suddenly become available. I see the odds of her repartnering with someone good better than 50-50.

greenapple

As already noted in this thread, jump/throw problems have haunted Ilyushechkina throughout her career. If teams do split during this ****** she might find herself adrift if other ladies who can land jumps/throws become available. I hope something great happens for her either in the competitive or professional ranks.

barbarafan

As already noted in this thread, jump/throw problems have haunted Ilyushechkina throughout her career. If teams do split during this ****** she might find herself adrift if other ladies who can land jumps/throws become available. I hope something great happens for her either in the competitive or professional ranks.
Throws were never a problem with Lubov until her last 2 competitions where Charlie seemed to run out of gas. At 4cc they did 2 lovely throws in warmup. Even the jumps...problem is in the head. She does good jumps outside of competition.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Throws were never a problem with Lubov until her last 2 competitions where Charlie seemed to run out of gas. At 4cc they did 2 lovely throws in warmup. Even the jumps...problem is in the head. She does good jumps outside of competition.

It must be so frustrating to be an excellent 'practice' skater who can't transpose all of their hard work to competition.

I am reminded of when Tracey Wainman made her comeback in 1986, how commentator, Debbie Wilkes, detailed how Ellen Burka (Tracey's coach) put ten double axels in her programs just to get her past the mental block of competing them.

greenapple

Throws have always been hit and a lot of miss with Liubov, going back to her days with Maisuradze. A lot of skaters jump well out of competition, which in reality means nothing if they cannot do them in competition.

skylark

I'd be shocked if a partnership with Bardei is not explored. So many things factor into such a decision but you have to think they'd have some similar techniques growing up in Eastern Europe and I have to think it would be a good body line match. At least reasonable potential for that.

I think both would prefer to be in Ontario, too. Few language barriers, more opportunity for side employment.

Downside? His paperwork hasn't been started. Olympics not possible...this cycle at least. Might have to go on the Stellato plan. #2026

As for other options for her, we have no idea where skating is headed over the next while. We could see more pairs dissolving if someone on the team wants to move on like Charlie did. A solid pair boy could suddenly become available. I see the odds of her repartnering with someone good better than 50-50.
What's the Stellato plan?

I can imagine Lubov being so determined to stick with it that she stays in for 2026 Olympics, taking inspiration from Aljona. I like your statement of her odds being better than 50-50. I really hope for the best for her, meaning, a new partnership and happy sailing. The thing I enjoyed the most about the Lubov/Charlie partnership was how happy she was just to be skating again.

Has there been a discussion here about whether great flexibility is connected with struggles with jumping? On another site, the talk was about Jason Brown and earlier, Sasha Cohen. Please don't bombard me ... I've only been reading here since Feb.

The other thing I wanted to say is that the problems with jumping are mental for most pairs. I daresay most who struggle have much more success in practice. the other factor is that jumping so close to another person and timing them closely to each other is, according to former figure skaters I've heard discussing it, very hard, adding a whole new dimension to landing jumps in competition.

Last edited:

hoptoad

I am reminded of when Tracey Wainman made her comeback in 1986, how commentator, Debbie Wilkes, detailed how Ellen Burka (Tracey's coach) put ten double axels in her programs just to get her past the mental block of competing them.
Wait! Someone actually competed a program with ten double axels!!

Rock2

The commentary about Luba's sbs jumps I realize will never die but I point out 2 things:
1. She is able to generate all her levels plus high GoE on literally every other element
2. Considering the most recent retirements, you could cruise through the list of top 12 pairs teams globally and find very few who don't make you hold your breath going into jumps. B/K are one of the few machine-like pairs out there rn. S/H getting better with 3S but it drops off after that.

High world placing and even a medal not off the table with the right partner. She and KMT are the two truly elite pair girls in Canada right now so I wouldn't worry about her being passed over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information