2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

skylark

She can't get citizenship in time to compete pairs for Canada in Beijing but she has stated she plans to stay in until 2026 and make the Olympic team then.

That's the kind of straight-up cray I can get behind.
Me too! I missed that interview. Is there a link?

Mad for Skating

The commentary about Luba's sbs jumps I realize will never die but I point out 2 things:
1. She is able to generate all her levels plus high GoE on literally every other element
2. Considering the most recent retirements, you could cruise through the list of top 12 pairs teams globally and find very few who don't make you hold your breath going into jumps. B/K are one of the few machine-like pairs out there rn. S/H getting better with 3S but it drops off after that.

High world placing and even a medal not off the table with the right partner. She and KMT are the two truly elite pair girls in Canada right now so I wouldn't worry about her being passed over.

SBS jumps are honestly the scariest element of pair skating for me. It’s very rare to have a couple where both partners land them consistency.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Hopefully it helped! I was trying to imagine what that would look like in a coherent program.

Here is a clip in exhibition of Midori Ito completing ten double axels in a row.

Last edited:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Has there been a discussion here about whether great flexibility is connected with struggles with jumping? On another site, the talk was about Jason Brown and earlier, Sasha Cohen. Please don't bombard me ... I've only been reading here since Feb.

I remember hearing about this on a skating broadcast one time. IIRC, it was either Tracy Wilson or Barb Underhill talking about how Sasha Cohen's flexibility hampered her jump consistency. Something about having flexible hips making it difficult to rotate tightly and/or the exact same way each time.

Ageless

I remember hearing about this on a skating broadcast one time. IIRC, it was either Tracy Wilson or Barb Underhill talking about how Sasha Cohen's flexibility hampered her jump consistency. Something about having flexible hips making it difficult to rotate tightly and/or the exact same way each time.

I believe Alissa Czisny had some of the same issues

Stephanie

I thought it was more about not always having the stability to control landings as opposed to affecting rotation speed.

Mad for Skating

I would rather watch Lubov skate and fall on the jump than watch any other pair (save S/H) skate a perfect program.

I totally agree! One of my favorite performances of all time is Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch’s free skate at 2017 Worlds - even though she missed the jumps, the overall quality of the performance was better than most of the pairs they competed against!

Rock2

Well...I guess we all have our faves. I'm not generally a fan of Disney cruise ship style programs so I had to watch 2017 with sound off. I thought Boston world's LP was the highlight LP for I/M

Jeanine

I totally agree! One of my favorite performances of all time is Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch’s free skate at 2017 Worlds - even though she missed the jumps, the overall quality of the performance was better than most of the pairs they competed against!

My abiding memory of that performance is sitting on the floor of my living room about a foot away from the tv, trying to explain to my then seven year old why I was doing that and only able to come out with “they’re just so beautiful!”

karmena

It is still in post #61

Indeed, it is still there! thank you ( from the post #61):

She ( Julianne)will always be the person I had the best time with in my career. She's the one I've worked with through the greatest trials and tribulations of my career. I hope she understands that the problem wasn't her. Our breakup was probably a big blow to her. Julianne may have even felt that it was because she wasn't up to it, but it wasn't.

I very much hope that this might give to Julianne some sort of conclusion, and inner freedom for the next step.

barbarafan

Indeed, it is still there! thank you ( from the post #61):

She ( Julianne)will always be the person I had the best time with in my career. She's the one I've worked with through the greatest trials and tribulations of my career. I hope she understands that the problem wasn't her. Our breakup was probably a big blow to her. Julianne may have even felt that it was because she wasn't up to it, but it wasn't.

I very much hope that this might give to Julianne some sort of conclusion, and inner freedom for the next step.
Would have been really nice if he figured it out last year and told her that. She was in the kiss'n cry at competitions

karmena

Thank you so much! I’m going to send it to her tonight :)

Thank you! I would love to make a video for Julianne - she’s awesome! I have several video edits of other skaters lined up for my channel (I’m making a Duhamel/Radford one right now), but I would like make one for Julianne once those are finished!
Thank you so much! I’m going to send it to her tonight :)

Thank you! I would love to make a video for Julianne - she’s awesome! I have several video edits of other skaters lined up for my channel (I’m making a Duhamel/Radford one right now), but I would like make one for Julianne once those are finished!

Oh, please, do so! your video with Luba is really greatl! It would be just wonderful, if you could make a video for Julianne, too. much more because she unlikely will skate again.

karmena

Would have been really nice if he figured it out last year and told her that. She was in the kiss'n cry at competitions

Completely agree.
Unfortunately, we cannot change neither Charlie nor how it has happened☹😢

What I meant was, that at least now Julianne ( I dare to hope) can get some kind of answers ( from what Charlie said in the article)

Mad for Skating

My abiding memory of that performance is sitting on the floor of my living room about a foot away from the tv, trying to explain to my then seven year old why I was doing that and only able to come out with “they’re just so beautiful!”

Aw, that’s so sweet! I love that - I’m sure Luba and Dylan would love to hear that story too!

Oh, please, do so! your video with Luba is really greatl! It would be just wonderful, if you could make a video for Julianne, too. much more because she unlikely will skate again.

Thanks, I’d love to!

aftershocks

Banned Member
I notice a post and photos on Robin Szolkowy's Instagram showing that he worked with Natasha Purich and Bryce Chudak at their rink in Montreal in February.

Robin is reportedly no longer affiliated with the Irvine, CA rink. He had worked there with Meno/Sand's group, apparently chiefly coaching some lower level U.S. pairs and giving tips to top U.S. senior pairs. While affiliated with Nina Mozer, Robin participated in conducting a number of pairs training camps in the U.S. in recent years.

barbarafan

I notice a post and photos on Robin Szolkowy's Instagram showing that he worked with Natasha Purich and Bryce Chudak at their rink in Montreal in February.

Robin is reportedly no longer affiliated with the Irvine, CA rink. He had worked there with Meno/Sand's group, apparently chiefly coaching some lower level U.S. pairs and giving tips to top U.S. senior pairs. While affiliated with Nina Mozer, Robin participated in conducting a number of pairs training camps in the U.S. in recent years.
I saw the instagam as well when it was posted and wondered if it meant something or absolutely nothing. Only time will tell. All is still frozen in Mtl.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks @greenapple. @Cleo1782 had said in the U.S. pairs thread that Robin was no longer working at the Irvine, CA rink. If that's not the case, then I hope everything works out well for Robin, the rest of the coaching staff and the skaters at the Irvine rink. Of course, skaters everywhere are surely eager to get back to training, and I hope it can happen for all the skaters soon, in some capacity.

Since Robin used to compete against Natasha's & Bryce's coaches (which he mentions in the post), perhaps it was the coaches who reached out and asked if Robin would travel to Montreal and provide a training session and tips to their skaters.

Last edited:

karmena

I made a video edit of Julianne Seguin to commemorate her career! (As requested by @karmena)

[/QUO

Mad for Skating, I bent my heart.. such a wonderful video edit, thank you!👏 Please send to Julianne! Uplift her spirit!

There is such soulful light, brightness in Julianne.

chantilly

So wonderful to see Elladj continue his career in FS.
Looks like some
Nice work here with this team.
Looking forward to see more of E’s work.
His short program was one of the major highlights of Canadians before the Olympics I was privileged to see live.
And I’m really seeing some promise in his choreo so far.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

I'm really starting to love W/M. I hope they keep proving all the naysayers wrong.

(But... am I allowed to ask how they are in the same room during quarantine? Last time I checked, these two were not an off-ice couple, so...? I know it's not actually illegal or anything in most Canadian provinces to visit people outside your household, but it has been highly discouraged. Not judging at all, though; just wondering.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information