2020/2021 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Article published on Aug. 15, 2020 - "Soucisse and Firus ready for a fresh start" (re-posting here from their fan thread):
Google translated excerpt:
“As we didn't really know what the season would look like, we had already decided to keep our programs from last year, but to modify them. The season is postponed more and more and we are happy to have made this choice,” explains Carolane Soucisse.
She and her partner ensure that their relationship with their new coaches Carol and Jon Lane, as well as Juris Razgulajevs, is going very well. So far, they've skated at different locations as the arenas have reopened since June, even though they sometimes had to pay top dollar to do so. They will finally join their official training site in Scarborough in September.

And yes, I know it's Miku Makita (post #36 above).

Colonel Green

Not sure if keeping their programs is the best choice for S/F. Starting from scratch with their new coaches and new choreo might have been a better idea, IMO.
I believe they previously said that they had had another free dance choreographed but they would only use it if it looked like there'd be a meaningful season, and the odds of that have greatly diminished.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Yes, that's right. It's a pity; I really wanted to see the new one. But I guess I can understand the reasoning.

Colonel Green

Yes, that's right. It's a pity; I really wanted to see the new one. But I guess I can understand the reasoning.
It seems like the Canadian dance teams (and many others) are mostly sticking to prior programs -- I saw Nikolaj post about "choreography week" a while back, so maybe F-B/S are getting a new free dance, but otherwise there haven't been many indicators.

For Gilles/Poirier, for instance, it probably makes sense to not be breaking in new programs early in the season if they're potentially duking it out at SCI with a bunch of senior IAM teams who may have all kept their old ones.

Though I've conversely thought that maybe some teams should take it instead as essentially a year to start workshopping Olympics programs.

kates8

I would have thought most teams would keep their short and free dances this year or if they get new ones, they would keep that for Olympic year. I usually hate when teams keep a program, but totally understand it this year. I suspect those who keep their programs will tweak or adjust features or even music a bit to make it a little fresh. It is just wildly costly to pay for new choreography and costumes for a season that may not take place in much of a capacity - especially when teams have had no opportunity to make money since February and who knows how any funding has been affected.

Has anyone heard anything about SCI recently? For a competition that is supposed to take place in 8 weeks, its been pretty quiet from Skate Canada - I'm not convinced its going to happen.

It seems like the Canadian dance teams (and many others) are mostly sticking to prior programs -- I saw Nikolaj post about "choreography week" a while back, so maybe F-B/S are getting a new free dance, but otherwise there haven't been many indicators.

For Gilles/Poirier, for instance, it probably makes sense to not be breaking in new programs early in the season if they're potentially duking it out at SCI with a bunch of senior IAM teams who may have all kept their old ones.

Though I've conversely thought that maybe some teams should take it instead as essentially a year to start workshopping Olympics programs.

greenapple

The deadline for cancelling SCI passed about two weeks ago so that means it is on the schedule. Am guessing it will be either held with no fans and limited media or it will be virtual given that the border is still closed.

Sonata

The deadline for cancelling SCI passed about two weeks ago so that means it is on the schedule. Am guessing it will be either held with no fans and limited media or it will be virtual given that the border is still closed.
But could still potentially be cancelled depending on public health/government requirements. I could see them being allowed to hold it without fans. But if there are no fans, how will they recoup money for renting this site? Seems they would not need it. Unless TV rights are enough to cover this.

Colonel Green

But could still potentially be cancelled depending on public health/government requirements. I could see them being allowed to hold it without fans. But if there are no fans, how will they recoup money for renting this site? Seems they would not need it. Unless TV rights are enough to cover this.
Skating events get held with minimal to no attendance and no TV revenue all the time, so I don't think there's any issue with holding a Grand Prix even if it was only televised domestically (and given that TV networks worldwide are desperate for stuff to show, I suspect they could find some buyers elsewhere, though we'll see).

greenapple

The GP Series has to go ahead in one form or another with the GPF being the test event for the 2022 Games - and that competition has to take place at some point long before the end of 2021. China put the GP back on its list of permitted events because of the test event issue. For sure there will be no fans at SCI and probably not at any other GP except for Russia (if the test skates go well) and maybe China?

I would be very surprised if CTV, which has the rights to SCI, does not cover this competition, given how popular skating - and in particular this competition - is in Canada.

Sonata

I definitely would love to watch some skating and I can see why ISU is making tentative plans to go ahead. My point is that there's not much point in renting TD Place near downtown Ottawa if there will not be any fans, unless TD Place gives them an amazing discount. It's not like the NBA where they have multiple teams in one bubble all playing at one expensive site. They might consider holding it at a smaller rink or not in Ottawa at all. There's also a limit on the number of people in indoor gatherings to consider - you would have to include skaters, coaches, staff running the event, plus tv crew. These are among a few of the many logistics behind the scenes to figure out before proceeding with an announcement.

They could even hold this in Montreal given that most of the ice dancers who are likely competing already live there and that the maximum number of people allowed in some indoor public places is 250 as of early August.

Colonel Green

I definitely would love to watch some skating and I can see why ISU is making tentative plans to go ahead. My point is that there's not much point in renting TD Place near downtown Ottawa if there will not be any fans, unless TD Place gives them an amazing discount.
Orser and Wilson already suggested that Skate Canada might look for a different venue given the lack of a crowd, but we haven't heard anything since one way or another. That'd depend on a lot of things, including contract details, one imagines (and it should be said, arguably TD Place also has incentives to keep what business they can since they're already getting hit, so conceivably they could also get a price discount on the planned location if moving it is an option).

greenapple

They could even hold this in Montreal given that most of the ice dancers who are likely competing already live there and that the maximum number of people allowed in some indoor public places is 250 as of early August.
Agreed re a change of venue, but Quebec has had high numbers since day 1 so it seems unlikely that will be an option. The numbers are a little better in Ontario so that would likely be a swaying factor in the SC decision. I won't be surprised if virtual competitions are high on the SC agenda at this point.

Sylvia

TBD
Just finished watching BC/YK's section simulation event and 3 VIDA teams skated:

Hailey Yu/Brendan Giang (4th in Novice Dance/Team NextGen) - new(?) Junior FD to Jackson 5's "I'll Be There" & "I Want You Back" (with nice expression!)
Miku Makita/Tyler Gunara - performed last season's fun RD to Hairspray.

Haley Sales/Nik Wamsteeker - skated last season's Senior RD to ABBA medley.

ETA replay video: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7vutlr

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Contra the above, per the new national team stats both F-B/S and L/L have new free dances for the year.

Laurence & Nikolaj are skating to some edit of this, which...we'll see, I guess.

Marjorie & Zach are skating to the soundtrack to Rio (presumably meaning this film). That made me picture Zach dressed like a macaw, and now I will be deeply disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Sylvia

TBD
2020-21 Canadian National Team thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/skate-canada-names-2020-2021-national-team.107539/
ICE DANCE
Piper Gilles, 28, Toronto, Ont. & Paul Poirier, 28, Unionville, Ont.
Marjorie Lajoie, 19, Boucherville, Que. & Zachary Lagha, 21, Saint-Hubert, Que.
Carolane Soucisse, 25, Chateauguay, Que. & Shane Firus, 26, North Vancouver, B.C.
Laurence Fournier Beaudry, 28, Montreal, Que. & Nikolaj Sorensen, 31, Montreal, Que.
Bios with program music are linked in the names above.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Contra the above, per the new national team stats both F-B/S and L/L have new free dances for the year.

Laurence & Nikolaj are skating to some edit of this, which...we'll see, I guess.

Marjorie & Zach are skating to the soundtrack to Rio (presumably meaning this film). That made me picture Zach dressed like a macaw, and now I will be deeply disappointed if that doesn't happen.

In 2019, both teams had spectacular programs. I hoped 2020 was growing pains.

Alas, no. :scream:

RoseRed

...Evidently, they really liked P/C's FD from last season. And to be fair, so did I. They wouldn't be the team I picked to try that same style, but the music is really beautiful, and I can see them skating to it, so it could be nice. Also, it's a long piece and several minutes of it doesn't have speaking, so we'll see.

Also I am very much in favour of Zach the tropical bird. That program is hard to imagine without knowing the song choice, but I enjoyed their latin SD back in junior.

Last edited:

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Please let them have chosen one of the non speaking parts at least...
I don’t have a good feeling about this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information