2019 World Athletics Championships - Those Who Can Doha

ilovepaydays

OMG - Olympic Channel is showing a fluff piece on the Gatlin/Coleman rivalry. GEESH.

And we have the first medal for the USA đŸ‡ș🇾. Deanna Price wins gold - and it’s the first ever world or Olympic medal for ANY American in the hammer throw.

Women’s 10K coming up!

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
OMG - Olympic Channel is showing a fluff piece on the Gatlin/Coleman rivalry. GEESH.

And we have the first medal for the USA đŸ‡ș🇾. Deanna Price wins gold - and it’s the first ever world or Olympic medal for ANY American in the hammer throw.

Women’s 10K coming up!

USA was leading the Hammer Throw World List 1-2-3 entering worlds, but only Price wins the big Price, the other two faltered in the qualification and Berry foul her first 3 throws so No Mark. Still first ever Gold for the USA in the absence of Anita Wlodarczyk

Sifan Hassan GOLD!! in the 10K!!! wow what a surprise, that training with Alberto Salazar...

Final jumps in the men's long jump

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
The 100 metres for men is perhaps the least exciting event in athletics right now. :blah:

Lorac

The 'crowds' are absolutely abysmal - I feel sorry for the athletes!! This was not a great decision to hold the World Championships in Doha!!

Braulio

The 'crowds' are absolutely abysmal - I feel sorry for the athletes!! This was not a great decision to hold the World Championships in Doha!!

I thought that the crowd at Daehu 2011 was bad, but Doha is now setting a record!

Hopefully worlds in Eugene in two years will have decent attending, we trust in you american fans!

ilovepaydays

I thought that the crowd at Daehu 2011 was bad, but Doha is now setting a record!

Hopefully worlds in Eugene in two years will have decent attending, we trust in you american fans!

It helps when: 1) The U.S. is really great in track & field, and 2) Eugene’s weather is usually very nice and I think significantly more locals/Americans can afford to attend. ;)

In fact, I’m seriously considering going to 2021 Worlds.

Wasn’t attendance also dismal in Doha for the gymnastics’ world championships last year?

————————————

Anyone else hate Noah Lyles’s hair?

Time for women’s 100m semifinals! Also closely watching women’s pole vault.

Braulio

Six women have cleared the 4.80m Mark in the Pole Vault final!

Angelika Bengtsson did it in her third attempt after having to borrow a pole from an eliminated french girl, she broke her pole and had a scary (but not injury causing) fault, judges let her attempt again and she nailed the jump!

Guess she will have to keep using that borrowed pole

Sandy Morris is now 4.85 with clear card!!

In the 200m Christian Coleman decided to withdraw from the event. Bad scheduling of 100m/200m back to back, another NO for this world championships.

Even Kevin Mayer has stated that this championships are a mess and will compete but he just doesn't like this competition in Doha

I didn't follow the Women 100m Semifinals, no american in the final right? I think this will be between Ta Lou vs Shelly

ilovepaydays

I didn't follow the Women 100m Semifinals, no american in the final right? I think this will be between Ta Lou vs Shelly

Teahna Daniels made the last spot on time.

Potentially bad news for the U.S. for the 4X100m - English Gardner pulled up and was injured in her semifinal. I’m afraid she torn her hamstring again. :(

I’m calling it: Top four in final will be Fraser-Pryce 🇯đŸ‡Č, Ta Lou 🇹🇼, Thompson 🇯đŸ‡Č, and Asher-Smith 🇬🇧 in some order. I will be surprised if anyone else in the final will be close.

MsZem

I see the sea
Former Eugene resident here :) it's not a huge city, but obviously there's a serious track tradition and as others have noted, much better weather - you're not going to see 40% of the marathon field drop out with heatstroke and exhaustion. It should work out nicely.

Lorac

The final of the 4 x 400m mixed about to grace my TV screen - again I ask why :huh:

Lorac

Former Eugene resident here :) it's not a huge city, but obviously there's a serious track tradition and as others have noted, much better weather - you're not going to see 40% of the marathon field drop out with heatstroke and exhaustion. It should work out nicely.

Or start at midnight local time!!!!

ilovepaydays

Goodness! How long are we going to see BorleĂ©s 🇧đŸ‡Ș compete? Do they have younger siblings?

I’m surprised that the Bahamas and especially Trinidad & Tobago didn’t submit a team for this mixed relay.

Braulio

Anzhelika Sidorova of Russia (but here as neutral athlete) takes the gold in the Pole Vault with 4.95m

The level of this field is superb! to take silver, bronze with marks at 4.85 shows it

ilovepaydays

Well, I guess NBC universe is back in order now. Allyson Felix has won another world medal.

Normally, I would be :cheer2: about some Americans winning a world title with a world record, but I just feel like “whatever”. What a weird event to add.

Watching the men’s 100m medal ceremony. OMG, why aren’t they using real flags??!! The digital flags seem lazy, IMHO.

Last edited:

Lorac

Taylor wins the Triple Jump with Claye getting the Silver, Zango the Bronze. And Jonathon Taylors WR still stands after 24 years!!!

Braulio

And Shelly Ann wins the gold with a 10.71!!! Personal Best? at this time of her career, what a feat!

Silver for Dina Asher-Smith, she looked very pleased and emotional with this medal

Bronze for Ta-Lou

Lorac

So Shelly Ann Fraser Price wins Gold and Dina Asher Smith gets Silver for GBR with Ta Lou getting Bronze in the women's 100m. No one was going to beat Fraser Price tonight with her PB at 32 - wow!!

Braulio

Dina with PB and NR with 10.83

So cute Shelly with her baby! I guess she is the first athlete to win the 100m title after giving birth?

Dafne Schippers DNS, what happened to her? I think then she will pull out of the 200m that begins tomorrow for the ladies

Braulio

The lack of crowd is just awful!!!

Yes, this is very sad :(

Tomorrow is the big night for them with Abderrahman Samba running the 400m Hurdles, if the stadium does not register better attendance than first three days I don't think will do it for the rest of the championships

D

Deleted member 40371

After bribing to get these events can't they pay people to come to these events

SpeedySucks

After bribing to get these events can't they pay people to come to these events

According to NBC, most of the people in the stadium on the first day were “guest workers” from Kenya and Ethiopia (aka indentured servants who are in Qatar to build the stadiums for the 2022 World Cup). It’s sad and embarrassing. When the World Gymnastics Championships were in Doha last year, most of the sessions had less than 1,000 people in attendance, and that was just the gymnasts and coaches from the other countries. I hope the money is worth it for the IAAF to hold their Championships in an empty stadium under sweltering conditions.

The 2021 Worlds in Eugene is a once in a lifetime event and will almost certainly sell out every session.

Finnice

The cheapest tickets were 15 euros, I could not believe my eyes when I saw it. I have had very very mixed feelings about going there. I have attended figure skating championships in China, Russia and Belorus, so I thought maybe Quatar is not that far away from the politically. It was a very bad decision from IAAF to hold the championships there.
The stadium itself looks great, but I guess I will be the only one cheering for the Finns next weekend. We will have 3 women in 100 hurdles and 3 men in javelin (at least in first rounds/qualis). If you will here somebody shouting "HyvÀ(add a Finnish name) it is likely to be me.

Rob

Beach Bum
Crowd or no crowd, gymnastics was inside so not a climate danger to the athletes. The photos of the marathon athletes are heartbreaking. This was dangerous for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information