2019 Japan Open, October 5 + Carnival on Ice gala

Sylvia

TBD
Japan Open website: https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2019/

Venue is the Saitama Super Arena on Saturday, October 5, 2019 (Kinoshita Group is the title sponsor again with planning by IMG and broadcast by TV Tokyo).

Skaters invited to perform a free skate program for their team (as of July 12): https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2019/skater.html

Team Japan:
Satoko, Miyahara, Rika Kihira, Shoma Uno, TBA

Team North America (USA):
Bradie Tennell, Mirai Nagasu, Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou

Team Europe:
Alina Zagitova, Alexandra Trusova, Javier Fernandez, TBA

Guests:
Stéphane Lambiel, TBA

Carnival on Ice (gala following the team competition) list the same skaters at this point: https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/coi2019/skater.html

Last edited:

kalle

I am excited for this competition! Really nice to see Mirai in the lineup. I dont care if her jumping is restricted after her surgery but I always hoped we would see her in another competition after the Olympic season 🙌
Also interesting to see how Trusova will transist into Seniors and it would not be surprising if Trusova attempts several quads and Rika perhaps her 4S to set the tone for this season.
Always happy to see one of the only artists left in women skating (Satoko) and also what artistic direction Bradie and Zagitova will take with their new programs!

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I am excited for this competition! Really nice to see Mirai in the lineup. I dont care if her jumping is restricted after her surgery but I always hoped we would see her in another competition after the Olympic season
Me too! She posted a video I think last week of her "trying to learn to skate again" and doing a footwork sequence to music without lyrics I couldn't recognize. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz6To2SFMH_/?igshid=1d3u5wewtvn4a

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Daisuke Takahashi was invited to Carnival on Ice (the gala) as a guest skater. I wonder who skates for team Japan in Japan Open. All of the team Kinoshita Group skaters are already invited. So...Keiji Tanaka?

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I don't know why it is taken so long to announce the second man.

Maybe Yuzu?
I wonder if the fed/organizers waited to see whether Daisuke can be ready for JO. Kinoshita was one of his sponsor companies until he retired (first time), and he often skated in JO like every year when he was injury free (2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013). Yuzuru's never skated in JO.

ostile17

Daisuke Takahashi was invited to Carnival on Ice (the gala) as a guest skater. I wonder who skates for team Japan in Japan Open. All of the team Kinoshita Group skaters are already invited. So...Keiji Tanaka?

Did you notice that the announcement of Dai joining CaOI vanished from the website?
Just a mistake? I wonder.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Did you notice that the announcement of Dai joining CaOI vanished from the website?
Just a mistake? I wonder.

Yes, I noticed the announcement of his participation in CaOI disappeared (or rather it looked like it was replaced by the announcement of Mura's) from the 'topics' part on their top page, but his name & photo are still on the 'skaters' page as well as one of CaOI's organizers Tokyo TV's twitter account still has their post of Daisuke's participation on their official twitter account. Daisuke's participation was announced on Monday and Mura's was announced on Tuesday. I don't know what's going on behind the scene, tho.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Now it's announced the last spot went to Koshiro Shimada (one of the team Kinoshita skaters). Finally!

Sylvia

TBD
The competition (free skates) on Saturday is scheduled to start at 12:30 pm Japan time.

TV broadcast info (not live): https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2019/onair.html

TV Tokyo
Saturday, October 5th, 2019
6:30-7:00 TV TOKYO
Night 7:00-8:54 TV TOKYO 6 stations

BS TV East
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
5:29 -8:00 BS TV TOKYO

ETA:

Team Japan:
Satoko, Miyahara, Rika Kihira, Shoma Uno, Koshiro Shimada (added 8/30)

Team North America (USA):
Bradie Tennell, Mirai Nagasu, Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou

Team Europe:
Alina Zagitova, Alexandra Trusova, Javier Fernandez, Deniss Vasiljevs (added 7/19)

Guests:
Stéphane Lambiel, Nobunari Oda, Meryl Davis & Charlie White

Last edited:

ostile17

Carnival on Ice is airing the following day, Sunday,October 6th.

TV Tokyo
Sunday, October 6, 2019
4:00-5:15 TV Tokyo affiliated 6 stations Network

Full Version
Tuesday, October 29, 2019
5:29 -8:00 BS TV TOKYO

Cast

Daisuke Takahashi, Akiko Suzuki, Takahito Mura, Satoko, Miyahara, Rika Kihira, Shoma Uno, Koshiro Shimada, Bradie Tennell, Mirai Nagasu, Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou, Alina Zagitova, Alexandra Trusova, Javier Fernandez, Deniss Vasiljevs, Stéphane Lambiel, Nobunari Oda, Meryl Davis & Charlie White

Willin

@kates8 Since this is a rather informal competition (made for TV - Japanese TV only), FS only, retired and current skaters) it's generally negotiated between the TV station that runs it and agents of the skaters. I'm sure the federations have the authority to approve of/disapprove of appearances, but ultimately it's up to whoever will get ratings.

For that reason, there's a few things that go into choice: Who is popular in Japan? Who is willing to compete? Who has the schedule to do so? Which retired skaters are in good enough shape to be somewhat competitive? Etc.

It's possible none of the Canadian singles skaters said "yes" in this case. They only have two ladies who would be popular enough for consideration, of whom one is retired and the other is recovering from serious injuries. On the men's side Keegan Messing would be a good choice, but who's to say he wants to compete under a time difference less than two weeks before Skate America? I'm surprised Bradie and Nathan are doing it.

ostile17

@kates8 Since this is a rather informal competition (made for TV - Japanese TV only), FS only, retired and current skaters) it's generally negotiated between the TV station that runs it and agents of the skaters. I'm sure the federations have the authority to approve of/disapprove of appearances, but ultimately it's up to whoever will get ratings.

For that reason, there's a few things that go into choice: Who is popular in Japan? Who is willing to compete? Who has the schedule to do so? Which retired skaters are in good enough shape to be somewhat competitive? Etc.

It's possible none of the Canadian singles skaters said "yes" in this case. They only have two ladies who would be popular enough for consideration, of whom one is retired and the other is recovering from serious injuries. On the men's side Keegan Messing would be a good choice, but who's to say he wants to compete under a time difference less than two weeks before Skate America? I'm surprised Bradie and Nathan are doing it.

And this is a Kinoshita Group sponsored event. I believe Kinoshita has a main saying on who partecipates in the event.

Willin

@livetoskate Generally not. It's broadcast by a Japanese TV station for a Japanese audience. There will generally be bootleg videos on YouTube soon after the competition, but they'll be taken down quickly after posting so you have to catch them at just the right time. Usually about a year after the Japan Open the bootlegs will stop being taken down and you can watch them.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Practice report articles about popular skaters are coming up:

Trusova
During a runthrough she fell on the opening 4S but landed a clean 4Lz and also a following 4T-3T. :kickass:

Kihira
She was the first skater to do runthrough, and she didn't do difficult jumps in it (she landed 3F-3T, tho). She didn't attempt any 4S during the whole practice.

Shoma
During a run through he made mistakes on 4F and 4T but landed a good 3A. He was alone in the rink (without any coach).

___

Will we be able to watch this online in the US?
TV Tokyo's broadcast of JO is not live.
Its broadcast schedule is 18:30-20:54 (Sat, Japan Time).
Competition schdule: Men 12:3-13:40, Ladies 14:15-15:30, gala 18:30-21:00

Usually fans' (illegal) live streamings of TV Tokyo's broadcast are provided on some video sites.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information