2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

Mad for Skating

Was I the only one liking that? :shuffle:

YES, YOU WERE.
And here you are mocking me for liking Jason Brown...

I just looked up pictures of Zabijako/Enberg . OMG She is so gorgeous! That has to be worth+50 for just showing up and stepping on the ice.

She’s a real beauty, her Instagram is stunning! She looks like a gorgeous action hero. I wish they would do a program that showcases that; they’re both very attractive people 😀

Kaori Sakamoto
SP: "No Roots" by Alice Merton, choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne

Source: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190628-00000226-sph-spo

I’m so excited for this!!! As much as I love Kaori’s previous programs, I think this new modern style will look fabulous on her. It’s a catchy song too.

Enbert also declares that last year's LP "is really very cool, the best that we had." :rofl:

Honestly, I’ll even take that Cry Me a River FS over this!

lauravvv

She’s a real beauty, her Instagram is stunning! She looks like a gorgeous action hero. I wish they would do a program that showcases that; they’re both very attractive people 😀
Oh, thank you for directing me to Zabiiako's Instagram 🙂👍. Not just because of the beautiful photos of herself, but her homemade sweet breakfast goodies and her writing in both Russian and English (if she translates those texts by herself, maybe with a little help of some translator, I have to say that her written English is perfect, which is actually not so surprising, as she is originally from Estonia where they are mostly very good at English) :love:!

Dobre

Singing in the Rain is as much a stretch for her as it is for him.

More of one, I would think. Him I can kind of picture being campy/tap dancing/and doing umbrella moves. Her, I'm just seeing in a white dress. They've never done a character program unless you count their Swan Lake SD, and that particular version of Swan Lake wasn't really one.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Looks like Veronik Mallet is keeping her True Colors SP.

I just love it.

I think I am a Canadian uber ... I LOVE the styles and also physiques of Osmond, Daleman and her.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Don't you wish that at least one American pair had the curse of classic yet lifelessly boring Russian technique... Because they sure ain't doing well, they sure ain't.. :smokin:

:lol: Nope! In any case, Lu/Mitrofanov come close to having the classic Russian technique, but fortunately neither their personalities nor their execution are boring. :D

'Doing well' is relative. In figure skating, it's always about politics and perception. With the depth in pairs internationally, coupled with lack of rep politically for U.S. pairs along with the obvious loss of momentum for a number of top U.S. pairs due to illness and injury over the past several years, it has definitely led to an uphill battle. And the campaign to get on track and to make significant competitive strides is still being waged. That doesn't mean the U.S. doesn't have any exciting and worthwhile pairs. We have plenty, but it's a matter of appreciating what particular teams are good at, and enjoying the small advances and the entertaining qualities. Yes it has been frustrating and disappointing for a number of years in terms of U.S. teams returning to more viable competitiveness, but the other part of that has been U.S. fed's lack of focus on pairs, which is slowly beginning to change.

The lack of having enough competitive opportunities to develop, and the overall tendency to look down on U.S. pairs often affects how U.S. pairs are scored against pairs from other countries they may be equal to or better than in overall talent.

That said, I love U.S. pairs for who they are individually, for what each team brings, for what they dream, and for how hard they work with no guarantee of consistent opportunities, much less the chance to go to Worlds every year. Forget about the Olympics, even though that usually remains the dream of every skater until the dream has to be revised and the personal journey appreciated for what it's worth. Enjoying the process and every step of the journey (no matter how the destination ultimately materializes), is more than just a notion.

aftershocks

Banned Member

oleada

:lol: Nope! In any case, Lu/Mitrofanov come close to having the classic Russian technique, but fortunately neither their personalities nor their execution are boring. :D

Lu/Mitrofanov can land their SBS jumps and have competitive nerves but that’s about it. Her line, extension, skating skills all need a ton of work; he’s musical but has weak lifting technique and they have no connection or exprssion whatsoever. “Classic Russian technique” is wishful thinking.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Lu/Mitrofanov can land their SBS jumps and have competitive nerves but that’s about it. Her line, extension, skating skills all need a ton of work; he’s musical but has weak lifting technique and they have no connection or exprssion whatsoever. “Classic Russian technique” is wishful thinking.

I said IMO that L/M come close, but they aren't there yet. In any case, he's Russian and trained by a Russian. :lol:

My point though in my original post is not about Lu/Mitrofanov. My point is: Having classic Russian technik is NOT all that's needed these days. Especially NOT when your personality is boring and you have no connection to each other nor to the audience. Stellar technique and line does not make a team exciting. It's always about combining great technique with expressing personality through interpreting the music in an engaging way, etc.

While Lu/Mitrofanov are still young and need to further develop and improve their weaknesses, I find L/M more interesting to watch than Z/E.

To each their own.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Mad for Skating

Oh, thank you for directing me to Zabiiako's Instagram 🙂👍. Not just because of the beautiful photos of herself, but her homemade sweet breakfast goodies and her writing in both Russian and English (if she translates those texts by herself, maybe with a little help of some translator, I have to say that her written English is perfect, which is actually not so surprising, as she is originally from Estonia where they are mostly very good at English) :love:!

Her Instagram is the best! She seems like such a cool, fun girl 😀 and her English is amazing, I think she might have trained in the US years ago if I remember correctly?

:lol:

or perhaps one or another of Angelina Jolie's action movie soundtracks. :p

Ooh, I think that would be genius! Fabulous idea!

Colonel Green

Sofia Shevchenko - Igor Eremenko
RD: "The Great Gatsby"
Samokhvalov's Instastories
I don't see how that counts as a musical, per the rules:

Musical and/or Operetta
  • Can be a play (on the stage) or film in which music, singing and/or dancing play an essential part "to tell the story". Juke Box Musicals are allowed (Examples - Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys)
  • Music from movie soundtracks which are not movie musicals such as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, A Star is Born or soundtrack music from Star Wars, James Bond are “compilations of music/songs/tracks" and not a "musical".

If A Star is Born, which features numerous songs song within the narrative that are important to the characters and the mood, is not a musical, The Great Gatsby certainly isn't. That's a (great) soundtrack, not a musical.

Dobre

There is more than one musical version of The Great Gatsby. Do we know which one Shevchenko & Eremenko are using?

Dobre

Is the music used that differently in Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby than in Moulin Rouge?

I've only watched each once, as they're not really my thing. (I thought The Great Gatsby was worth seeing. Just not something I need to see again). I remember the party scene, but I don't remember how the other songs are used.

RoseRed

Is the music used that differently in Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby than in Moulin Rouge?

I've only watched each once, as they're not really my thing. (I thought The Great Gatsby was worth seeing. Just not something I need to see again). I remember the party scene, but I don't remember how the other songs are used.
Also, there is a musical version of Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge (premiered last year, just opening on Broadway), that includes the Sparkling Diamonds music, so Stepanova/Bukin would be 100% if they use the musical version. No argument that it's not from a musical.

Not sure if there's a musical version of the 2013 Great Gatsby movie using the same music. I didn't see one when I looked. Otherwise, I'm not sure if it would be allowed.

Dobre

Not sure if there's a musical version of the 2013 Great Gatsby movie using the same music. I didn't see one when I looked. Otherwise, I'm not sure if it would be allowed.

A stage-play format wouldn't by itself make a difference; but I can see what you are saying in that if there was a stage-play adaptation of this film, then more songs would probably be added to the soundtrack & some likely sung by the characters to tell the story.

It sounds to me like you guys are probably correct if none of the songs are sung by characters (outside of a performance setting).

I guess this is a good reason to announce one's music early. Hopefully someone will check in with S&E and their team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information