2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

aftershocks

Banned Member

Hmmm, okay. Just a bit of a hint, w/o the music. But already I prefer the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF8Cz6SAE28 Dai should have been the world champion that year, hands down, hands up, all-hands-on-deck, and then some! :kickass: :wuzrobbed

While I like Nam and enjoy watching him perform, he's got some work to do to either build on, or erase memories of unforgettable Daisuke jumpin', spinnin' and groovin' to Blues for Klook. :encore:

Kateri

void beast
I love it too, but I'm not so sure Nam has the shall we say smoothness of Hanyu or sheer sexiness of Takahashi which I won't be able but to compare him.
Totally agree on that, I just wasn't thinking about comparisons. Does it count as a warhorse yet? People can skate to music, even if they won't beat the very best. I think it'll push Nam in good directions artistically.

VGThuy

I haven't made it a secret of how much I dislike "Blues for Klook" BUT I do think it'll be a good direction for Nam. I think it'll challenge him in a new way.

Dobre

Ksenia Konkina/Pavel Drozd:

FD: last season's (no idea what it was, though)

Soft & flowy we-are-a-brand-new-team fare. Also known, in this case, per Doris's list from last season as:

Nocturne No. 20 in C Sharp Minor, Op.posth. by Chopin

VGThuy

Don't you wish that at least one American pair had the curse of classic yet lifelessly boring Russian technique... Because they sure ain't doing well, they sure ain't.. :smokin:

I know I do. I don't think they all have to do it and variety is the spice of life, but I'd love to see at least one invoke some classic Russian technique and lines.

Ka3sha

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva:
LP: choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne (it was mentioned earlier that her SP was choreographed by Ilya Averbukh)

Andrei Lazukin:
One of his programs was also choreographed by Shae-Lynn
(Liza’s Instagram stories)

Last edited:

annie_mg

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva:
LP: choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne (it was mentioned earlier that her SP was choreographed by Ilya Averbukh)

Andrei Lazukin:
One of his programs was also choreographed by Shae-Lynn
(Liza’s Instagram stories)
I hope Mishin let's them keep let's say 50% of the choreo...:rolleyes:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
PJ Hallam was the surprise delight of this year’s worlds for me! He skated like a daredevil just barely in control and he had some seriously sweet moves. He was so in the moment. He came very close to making it into the free program. I read that he works as a stunt man, absolutely loves figure skating, and trains in his free time. Hope to see him at Europeans this year. Much luck to him!

I too was delighted with PJ's performance at Worlds, as I remember watching him right back in the days when he was first learning the axel! Great to see he's come so far!

PJ came through the Academy system at Sheffield Ice Rink.
The system was an attempt to move away from the private lesson culture of British skating, but I am not sure it still exists anymore.
Olivia Smart, Tiffany Zahorski and PJ all came through the Sheffield Academy.
Penny Coomes, Nicolas & Joe Buckland came through a similar system in Nottingham.

VGThuy

I too was delighted with PJ's performance at Worlds, as I remember watching him right back in the days when he was first learning the axel! Great to see he's come so far!

The system was an attempt to move away from the private lesson culture of British skating, but I am not sure it still exists anymore.
Penny Coomes, Nicolas & Joe Buckland came through a similar system in Nottingham.

This is a very stupid question, but could you explain the differences between the private lesson culture and the Academy system to me?

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
This is a very stupid question, but could you explain the differences between the private lesson culture and the Academy system to me?

The private lesson culture is when coaches have their own students for one to one or sometimes group lessons and do not share their students with other teachers. This is common in the US and the UK.

The Academy or group sessions take a different approach.

For example in Lyon, a predefined group of skaters will be on the ice for a 1.5 hour session with 3 to 4 coaches.
The session will typically first have a group warm up with all the coaches at the barrier.
Then for the rest of the session, each one of the 3 to 4 coaches will spend time with skaters as per their needs.
Needs vary, if for example, a skater has a competition coming up, they will be allocated more time than another skater who may not need as much time with a coach at that moment.

Some of the advantages of the group system are that everyone pays one flat fee for the group lesson, everyone gets the time they need with the coaches regardless of their financial means and there is a feeling of being part of a team, which is lacking in the private lessons culture.

One problem with the private lessons culture, is that some coaches want to hang onto their students for financial reasons and even when they can see they need to move to a higher level coach, they don't recommend it.
I have seen many talented skaters wasted by the coach hanging onto them when the said coach was in fact a very low level coach and was not able to take them to their full potential.

believed

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva:
Liza’s new SP is now Florence and the Machine’s Drumming Song, choreo SLB

J

Jeschke

Liza’s new SP is now Florence and the Machine’s Drumming Song, choreo SLB

Yikes.
Well, I hope for the comeback of the mumu (of the official video) and some wonders as I cannot see that music at all in FS.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:lol: Mishin and Liza are always very, shall we say, fluid in program construction, music and costuming. You pretty much have to wait and see what they put on the ice at competitions. What they have in June is seldom what they present in the fall.

Polaris

Tinami Amori

Liza Tukhtamysheva, earlier this week, announced a "guessing contest" for her FS programme.
Says "guess who the choreographer for my FS will be".

If she is using her hands' positions as a clue, then it looks like Najarro, and she is doing Flamenco/Spanish.
Because her right hand is doing "flamenco hands"..
https://assets.saatchiart.com/saatchi/229468/art/275469/135334-6.jpg

and her left hand is in the shape of "holding a castanet"
https://soundtimes.ru/images/narodnie/178.jpg

J

Jeschke

Yet you are a fan of Z/E's long program music last season. :p

LOVE this song, fantastic choice! :cheer:
Just for the record: love F+TM, love the song, just have my problems seeing it in FS. But my imagination was always limited :p

LoopCombo

This is very interesting and academies are such a good idea! I grew up in the UK, in Durham, and we had private lessons there. My coach had competed in junior ice dance with his sister, and he was great. However, when my family moved to the USA when I was a teenager, the private lessons were a lot more expensive than they had been in Durham, and cost was the main reason I stopped skating :cry:. Imagine the talents that might be uncovered if skating weren’t so cost-prohibitive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information