2019/20 ISU Grand Prix Assignments & Alternates thread

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Kailani CRAINE got the NHK ticket.

How interesting that skaters like Glenn, Schott and Kraine go from 0 to 2.

On the other hand I love them all, so bringggggg ittttt!!!!!!

Tinami Amori

Sad to see Hendrickx and Lindfors get (and stay) sidelined right after they had reached a high level of success.
"sidelined"? the word means to me "left out" or intentionally overlooked. (from dictionary: remove from the center of activity or attention; place in a less influential position.)

Lindfors withdrew do to injury

Hendrickx info is here....

Sylvia

TBD
"sidelined"? the word means to me "left out" or intentionally overlooked. (from dictionary: remove from the center of activity or attention; place in a less influential position.)
It's also a verb commonly used in sports: "cause (a player) to be unable to play in a team or game."

ETA:

I copied out Loena Hendrickx's IG message detailing her injuries earlier in this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...alternates-thread.105721/page-13#post-5670928

Tinami Amori

Thanks Sylvia, the word "sidelined" sounds to me as if "something was done to someone" and not their own situation or actions. But i got your explanation.

ostile17

Rough for these two, especially since this season is their best chance to build up an advantage over Muramoto/Takahashi.

But Muramoto/Takahashi are only starting to compete in the 2020-2021 season so the real fight starts then, and M/T have a lot of work to do to reach their level.

Colonel Green

But Muramoto/Takahashi are only starting to compete in the 2020-2021 season so the real fight starts then, and M/T have a lot of work to do to reach their level.
Bluntly, Komatsubara/Koleto's level is not especially high.

There's plenty of question marks around what Muramoto/Takahashi will look like as a dance team, to be sure, but they're going to bring a lot of interest, and as individuals they're both more talented than K/K.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Bluntly, Komatsubara/Koleto's level is not especially high.

There's plenty of question marks around what Muramoto/Reed will look like as a dance team, to be sure, but they're going to bring a lot of interest, and as individuals they're both more talented than K/K.

2018 is calling, they want Reed back. :)

aliona22

I would like to remind everyone that Japan has an excellent junior ice dance team who IMHO are already better than K/K and have a great shot at making the 2022 Olympic team. Plus, no citizenship issues.

Samurina

Hopefully, Riku MIURA / Ryuichi KIHARA are a great success because it looks like Japan doesn't have any pair teams coming up.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I would like to remind everyone that Japan has an excellent junior ice dance team who IMHO are already better than K/K and have a great shot at making the 2022 Olympic team. Plus, no citizenship issues.

This. (y)I love this team. Please please don't split!

Dobre

Yoshida & Nishiyama are a very nice young team. I think they have more potential than Komatsubara & Koleto in the long run; but I don't know about top 24 in two years. A lot can happen in that amount of time so it is possible. Currently Y&N are scoring behind Taschlerova & Taschlerov from Czech Republic. It is starting to get more crowded in the ice dance ranks.

Per the SB list, we have . . .
3 US, RUS, CAN
2 FRA, ITA (I think. Or does ITA lose it's second berth based on T&F's result?)
1 GBR (on the bubble, potential for 2)
1 SPAIN (on the bubble, potential for 2)
1 CHN (haven't been on the bubble but could be if they can build off of the homefield score at COC, potential for 2)
1 POL (on the bubble, potential for 2)
1 LTU? (Depends on her getting citizenship or another team earning minimum scores. The second team seems to have disappeared this season).
1 UKR
1 GEO (I'm going to assume that citizenship is reachable if not already obtained?)
1 GER
1 FIN (Bit of a question mark due to injury/citizenship but two teams so we'll say odds are decent)
1 KOR (Citizenship questionable?)
*BLR is here on the SB list, but it's an Ice Star score. Think Y&N could compete with these two.
1 CZE
*EST
*SUI (Citizenship questionable?)
*TUR (Citizenship questionable?)
Yoshida & Nishiyama are here on the SB list. (If I haven't missed any countries).

Komatsubara & Koleto are 4 points higher, above the Estonians; but yes, in that same ballpark based on K&K's SB from this season post injury. Their PB is another 16 points higher but from WTT. Their 4CC score is @4 points higher than their current SB).

We'll estimate the 4 teams at the bottom with the asterisks are catchable by Y&N either due to wavering scores by the junior Estonians or higher B.V. when entering seniors.

ARM yet to have an SB score this season. (There are at least a couple others from different countries, but these two probably have citizenship currently as they tried to make the cut for the last Olympics?).

Number of spots claimable by countries at the top, of course, depends on the standings next season.

Anyway, it is possible that Y&N or K&K could qualify in two seasons. If Muramoto & Takahashi can put up a stronger argument, though, I think the Japanese Fed would breathe a lot easier. We'll just have to wait & see.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I thought the new Olympics rules are that a country only earns guaranteed spots at prior Worlds if all skaters/teams carry their weight, but that they can try to get back at least the second, if not the second and third, at Nebelhorn. Is this wrong, with different members earning individual spots at Nebelhorn that are put back into the pool?

Dobre

I thought the new Olympics rules are that a country only earns guaranteed spots at prior Worlds if all skaters/teams carry their weight, but that they can try to get back at least the second, if not the second and third, at Nebelhorn.

If a second team doesn't compete at Worlds and a top team scores high, does the country automatically get the second berth or have to earn it? (Because if 1 team can earn the second spot if a 2nd team doesn't compete, then if I were Tessari & Fioretti from ITA, I would just sit out the 2021 Worlds and take that 2nd berth during the Olympic season--provided they remain their country's #2).

RoseRed

If a second team doesn't compete at Worlds and a top team scores high, does the country automatically get the second berth or have to earn it? (Because if 1 team can earn the second spot if a 2nd team doesn't compete, then if I were Tessari & Fioretti from ITA, I would just sit out the 2021 Worlds and take that 2nd berth during the Olympic season--provided they remain their country's #2).
No, I don't think so. I think that if say a country earns two spots, but only has one skater/team who made the cut for the FS, they only have one spot guaranteed and have a chance to earn the 2nd at the last qualifier (with any skater/team who didn't make the FS cutoff at the last worlds). That's just going by memory though.

Dobre

No, I don't think so. I think that if say a country earns two spots, but only has one skater/team who made the cut for the FS, they only have one spot guaranteed and have a chance to earn the 2nd at the last qualifier (with any skater/team who didn't make the FS cutoff at the last worlds). That's just going by memory though.

I think that would be the wise way to do it. (And the same if two athletes/teams earn a third berth).

nimi

Huh? :confused: This is news to me. Has there been some official ISU communication issued about this? And could somebody with more info maybe start a new thread for the 2022 OG qualification talk, because it doesn't really have anything to do with this 2019 GP assignments thread... Anyway, here are couple of links to old threads where the 2018 Oly qualification rules are discussed at length, in case somebody wants to revisit those:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...es-for-singles-pairs-dance-team-event.100715/
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2018-olympics-team-event-qualification.99794/

Back to topic: I really hope NHK will invite somebody to replace KoKo even though they don't have to. Maybe one of the Russian teams with only 1 assignment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information