2018/2019 Grand Prix Final will be in Vancouver

lexeoe

I wonder which venue was submitted? Pacific Coliseum or the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Center? Which one do you think? I doubt Rogers Arena was submitted

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Lucky Vancouver!
(Next time I hope Laval can put in a bid with the new Place Bell arena...)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Thunderbird Stadium holds 5000, expandable to 7000, and rink info says three arenas, and the main arena can be expanded to an Olympic sized rink.

http://sportfacilities.ubc.ca/dmc/

It would be a cozy place for GPF. The sightlines were great for sledge hockey at the Paralympics: everything felt so close. I would guess that it is equipped for TV, since the IOC has pretty stringent media requirements.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
btw where is GPF 2017/18 to be held? I assume that has already been announced then? The ISU calendar on their site doesn't go beyond May 2017

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
:rofl: of course we finally get another competition and I will likely not be in this part of the world then. At least if I have to end my trip early, this will be a great consolation prize.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Are there any news on which arena? It looks like there are options (pacific coliseum, thunderbird stadium). Is Richmond Ice Centre a real option?

It seems like most hotels are not near these arenas?

I assume BC Place does not have an ice surface.

I am looking at booking a hotel, though many are already filled (or maybe they have not opened up for reservations yet), I will be driving up anyway so it doesn't have to be close to the arena.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
No word yet.

I wish they could do it in Richmond, but while at the time they talked about being able to re-assemble the speed skating setup, which, according to Wikipedia, had a capacity of 8,000, Richmond Olympic Oval has been divvied up into two Olympic-size rinks :)swoon:), a sport simulation theater, a bunch of different training rooms, hard courts, a day care centre, medical clinic, pharmacy, etc. etc., and has become a functionality community recreation center and elite conditioning center. While the facilities are regulation, I don't see where enough seating could go. The Minoru arenas (two), also in Richmond, are NA, not Olympic, regulation size, and the larger rink has seating for 2,000.

The Canucks play at Rogers Arena, but probably not feasible, even if the Canucks are out of town. (Capacity is just under 19,000). PNE schedule isn't filled in for Fall 2018; Pacific Coliseum capacity for the Olympics was 14,239, according to Wikipedia.

BC place doesn't have an ice surface. Capacity is nearly 55K.

I think they need to use PNE, because 7,200 seats at Thunderbird Arena is not going to cut it with Vancouver so easily accessible from Japan. If they go with the Thunderbird Arena, if we can even get tickets, it's the same story as Nationals.

If they go with PNE, there's a Holiday Inn two blocks away. I don't know if they'll grab it for the skaters or go with another hotel and bus people in. If you're driving anyway, you could look into hotels in Burnaby: there are large hotels with six miles of PNE, and while parking and traffic around the arena will be the usual parking and traffic around an arena, the commute to there should be better.

For people who are using transit, Burnaby and New Westminster are also reasonable options, if you're close to one of the Skytrain Stations, which a number of hotels are. Then it's Skytrain to 29th Avenue, and the #16 bus to in front of the Holiday Inn.

From the hotels around Robson in the center of the West End, you can get an express bus to PNE from Burrard around Robson. It's about a 10-minute walk from Davie to Robson, and there are hotels like the Sandman Suites on Davie, which have small kitchens.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
thank you @kwanfan1818 . I looks like the Holiday Inn Express is now a different franchise, Atrium? In any case their website doesn't have any availability, but it looks like most hotels don't allow booking more than a year in advance.
I think I'm going to try and book some cancel-able in December, I wonder how much is already booked by ISU/tours though?

I really hope tickets will be available :),

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information