2018-2019 Canadian Ladies News and Updates!

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Forgive me for being out of the loop, but is there an issue with having the minimum score for Worlds entry?

Who will Canada send?

Yes have four that do have the minimums but Gabby may not be well enough, Mallet doesn’t have the technique Chartrand has a spot and Cotop is trying this weekend to get the minimum scores.

Colonel Green

Forgive me for being out of the loop, but is there an issue with having the minimum score for Worlds entry?

Who will Canada send?
Chartrand is confirmed to go. There are three other skaters who have the minimums, and one who is trying to get them this weekend. So for the remaining two spots, the order is probably:

1. Gabrielle Daleman, if she decides to go.
2. Aurora Cotop, if she gets the minimums at the Bavarian Open.
3. Véronik Mallet, if one of the first two things doesn’t happen.
4. Alicia Pineault, if two of the first three don’t happen and her injury doesn’t prevent her.

WanderlustTO

How bad do the Canadian ladies have to do at Worlds to lose all spots for next year? I'm getting Susan Humphries vibes.

Losing all spots isn't possible. The main thing is hanging on to the second spot - this should be in reach. If I understand the rules correctly, to get 2 spots for '20 worlds the top two skaters need to have combined placements equalling 28 or better. I *think* we can accomplish this. Please tell me whether we should be okay or whether i should be nervous...because i feel kinda nervous.

The real problem is if we have a large scale crash and burn and somehow end up with one spot going into '20. Having one spot in singles creates a hole that's hard to dig out of...b/c i think you then need to finish in the top 10 to get that second spot back.

Someone else can educate me if i'm wrong in my math. But I think avoiding us being stuck with one spot after '19 worlds in the main thing.

puglover

My heart swelled with Canadian pride for Veronik and Larkyn yesterday. They both held it together and did what they can, for the most part. Veronik, especially, has been away from competitive skating for so long with that injury and I saw some of what I have always loved about her. Also, nice to see Annie in the K&C again. I am sure nobody expected the situation without Kaetlyn and Gabby leading the charge this year. Alaine, she breaks my heart, pure and simple!

Skate Talker

Alaine, she breaks my heart, pure and simple!
Kaetlyn had a rough return from injury and used to make me sad. Then Ravi finally got her to believe it wasn't all about having a perfect skate, but rather focusing on going for excellence, one element at a time and that was the magic answer for her. Both those ladies clearly had the ability and now I am hoping Alaine will soon have her magic "ah-ha" turning point too.

puglover

Kaetlyn had a rough return from injury and used to make me sad. Then Ravi finally got her to believe it wasn't all about having a perfect skate, but rather focusing on going for excellence, one element at a time and that was the magic answer for her. Both those ladies clearly had the ability and now I am hoping Alaine will soon have her magic "ah-ha" turning point too.
I truly hope you are right. One thing I have learned is how much more interesting skaters become to me after they have had some real life experiences, hard knocks, broken hearts, comebacks from injury. It takes real grit to keep training and pushing and really examine why you skate and I see it in their faces and their programs and how they conduct themselves. The young jumping beans are so fun and deserve all the accolades they get but there is really something to be said for maturity that only comes from finding out who you are and why you skate.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Sorry state of affairs for our women :( I must say that I really enjoyed Mallet long program it was simple yet beautiful.

Well..... while all 3 USA girls went south in the free, ALL Canadian ladies went north.....

So there that!

I hope Mallet can sustain through her injuries another season or so. I quite liked her.....

Skate Talker

Well..... while all 3 USA girls went south in the free, ALL Canadian ladies went north.....

So there that!

I hope Mallet can sustain through her injuries another season or so. I quite liked her.....
I was thinking the same thing but of course the caveat is that for 2 of the the Canadian Ladies there was nowhere to go but up pretty much

Seerek

I still feel Veronik's career path could have turned out much differently (injury or not) had she been able to sneak in and earn a World Team berth back in 2015 at Canadian Nationals over either Gabby or Alaine (I think she was attempting all 5 triples back then).

Reactions: mag

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Cotop eked out the TES minimums in the short today - 29.17 after a triple toe double toe combo, a triple sal, and a double axel with a step out. Now she just needs to hold her nerve tomorrow!

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Holy Crap..so Cotop didnt get the minimum either..... 29.17

oh, wait, never mind she got it!!!!

:encore::encore:

does she need to get the min for free too? Or does she have?

Zazy

I'm glad she stuck to the easier content. She gets good GOE on the salchow and going for the flip for the first time in a situation where she absolutely has to land it would have been very risky.

Obviously going forward she's going to need to upgrade but she's still young and this is a transition year for her.
Fingers crossed that she gets the minimum score for the long. It would be a shame to finish 2nd at nationals and get no major competition - having two spots at junior worlds would have made everything easier.

ETA Here's the link, she starts about 55 minutes in. Clearly some nerves. It's a good thing she's skating at a senior B and not 4CCs because I don't think she would have reached 29 with the 4CCs panel.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x724jsr

Last edited:

Dobre

Glad for Aurora earning the SP minimum today. Best wishes to her for the FS.

I know it is probably an unpopular opinion; but to be honest, I hope Gabby & team will not elect to go to Worlds unless she is far more ready emotionally than for Canadian Nationals. If Canada is going to drop down to 1 berth in the ladies discipline, I would just rather it be acknowledged as the reality based on the current depth of the Canadian ladies program in general. Not something that gets blamed on Gabby because she is sent back into competition before she is ready. (A la sending Nam in 2016). I mean, athletes struggle with tough performances all the time. Stuff happens. But there is a healthy way to deal with those tough performances, and then there is not. Soucisse & Firus, for example, had one of those rough skates in their FD at Nationals; but they were fine. They were obviously emotionally able to deal with the experience and looked able to accept it & move on. I'd like to know that Gabby is there before she heads into her next major high-pressure event. Would rather see her come back strong next year and fight for one berth if necessary than not come back at all. If she's really ready for Worlds, then OK. Obviously she's done enough in her career to merit the berth. But I hope they will play the long game if she isn't.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't think that's unpopular. I don't want to see Gabrielle on ice at Worlds (or ever, if it came to that) unless she's really ready for it.

And when it's her that feels ready for it. I'm not saying that she was pressured into going to Nationals because I have no way of knowing that, but even if everybody around her thinks she's ready and is encouraging her to go, she has to be the one that wants to do it. And if it ends up that she never competes again, she has a lot to contribute to the sport in sharing her experiences and maybe helping things be a little better (or a lot better) for other skaters.

Colonel Green

And when it's her that feels ready for it. I'm not saying that she was pressured into going to Nationals because I have no way of knowing that, but even if everybody around her thinks she's ready and is encouraging her to go, she has to be the one that wants to do it. And if it ends up that she never competes again, she has a lot to contribute to the sport in sharing her experiences and maybe helping things be a little better (or a lot better) for other skaters.
At least on social media, she comes across as very much wanting to compete. I’d honestly be more worried about the opposite, her going against the advice of the people around her.

skatingguy

decently
I didn't get to watch it but I was happy to see that Cotop got her free skate minimums today and she took home the bronze medal from the Bavarian Open! Good luck at the world championships Aurora! (Assuming they go by nationals results and she gets to go ;))
:)
It seemed pretty clear after nationals that if Cotop got the minimums she would be going to Worlds, and that's one of the reasons that two of the spots for Ladies were left open when the rest of the team was named.

AngieNikodinovLove

I juts checked results.. thats so cool...I am a fan of hers.

So then did Skate Canada say if Aurora got the minimums she is on the team?

If Daleman passes... who will get the third spot do you think?

Canada may have a bit of a slump this year in ladies but I think next year will be better!!!

:biggrinbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information